Larger kibble cat food.

Jach1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anyone know of large kibble dry cat food?

Looking for larger kibble dry food for our cat who eats too fast then vomits her food. We tried everything from a Veterinary checkup to putting her food in a ball and also tried feeding her little amounts at a time. Nothing has worked so far. Thanks for any suggestions!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Have you tried giving her canned food?

Also there are food dishes for gulpers available, or you could put ping-pong balls in the dish. Just be sure to wash them.

also tried feeding her little amounts at a time.
She's still throwing up? Have you tried a different brand, not for the size of the kibble (I'm not sure, the ones I use are pretty small) but the ingredients? Have you tried Merrick Backcountry, or Natural Balance?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jach1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Have you tried giving her canned food?

Also there are food dishes for gulpers available, or you could put ping-pong balls in the dish. Just be sure to wash them.

She's still throwing up? Have you tried a different brand, not for the size of the kibble (I'm not sure, the ones I use are pretty small) but the ingredients? Have you tried Merrick Backcountry, or Natural Balance?
Hi,
She‘s swallowing the kibble and not chewing it, vomitting it whole. We tried a different dish for eating that was recommended, but that didn’t work.
We’ll have to look to see if those brands you mentioned have bigger kibble. Thanks for replying.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The Hills Dental kibble are larger than normal kibble, so cats have to bite into them to eat them. That's one part of how the dental part comes into play, as when they bite into them, it presses against their gums, which is supposed to help with gingivitis / inflamed gums.

Here's the link: Hill's® Prescription Diet® t/d® Feline

Welcome to TCS, btw. :wave2:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone know of large kibble dry cat food?

Looking for larger kibble dry food for our cat who eats too fast then vomits her food. We tried everything from a Veterinary checkup to putting her food in a ball and also tried feeding her little amounts at a time. Nothing has worked so far. Thanks for any suggestions!
I have a cat that licks her food,canned, dry she would not chew if given dry she would throw up . If you must feed dry small amounts many times a day. A food timer would help. It may be that your cat is a licker so she needs canned. She has a big elevated cat bowl so her food is spread out

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper does the "scarf-and-barf" thing.

It's because he has food-insecurity issues. He was abandoned and lived outdoors for about a year before he was rescued.
Casper, once, had a home where he didn't have to worry about finding food because he was always fed. Then he suddenly found himself outdoors where he had to fend for himself and find his own food. After that, he was re-captured, lived with a foster then, finally, with us. In all that time, until we adopted him, he never knew where his next meal was coming from. Casper learned that, when he found food, he had to eat it all in case it was a long time before he found food again.

When Casper first moved in, every time he was fed, he would eat until he barfed. We tried slowing him down. We tried feeding him smaller amounts. We tried all the tricks.

The thing that worked for us is to make sure Casper knows that he has enough food at all times. We make sure that there is always at least a little bit of food in his bowl. He will walk by his food bowl, a couple-few times every day just to check it and make sure that there's food in it. If there isn't enough food in the bowl for his comfort he'll come and ask for more.

All we need to do is pick his bowl up, put it on the counter and drop in just a handful of food. Just enough so that he can hear the sound of the food hitting the metal bowl. That's enough to satisfy his food anxiety and make him feel like there's enough food to survive.

If we don't do this and Casper has to wait too long to have his food bowl "freshened up," the next time he gets fed he will scarf-and-barf.

Do you think that your cat might have food-insecurity issues?

Is there any little trick that you could do so that your cat will know that there is always enough food?

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats need to be fed small frequent meals verses one or two large meals a day. Cats really need to be fed 3-4 times a day and need to be fed wet food at least once a day for moisture content. I would feed wet food in the morning, leave out some dry in a food puzzle, feed wet when you get home, before bed and can leave a lil bit of dry in the food puzzle. That should help with your cats fast eating.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Switching to all canned food helped my barfer dramatically. Raising her bowl so she had to eat standing up also helped