Large Cat - Cat Tree

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Zuko has ended up being a bit of a unit. He’s about a year old and has outgrown his cat tree we bought when he was a kitten! He’s about 18” long & last weigh in a couple weeks ago put him at about 13.5 lbs.

Are there any recommendations on good cat trees for big boys? Or a good rule of thumb for how big a bed/tree hammock should be for specific cat sizes?

images for reference 🫣
56CFB866-014F-4163-AFA7-6FC1A8D24023.jpeg
image.jpg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
After my boy broke 3 cat trees, I bought shelves for him in the living room and and low tables stacked up and installed wall shelvings for him and in the other rooms I bought low cupboards for him so that he can look out the windows.

Cat trees will become wobbly after awhile as they jump on and off it and it also depends how hard the cat will jump off and on. My boy is a parkour cat and he bounces off things :lol: and so cat trees cannot survive the beatings.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for the suggestions!!

After my boy broke 3 cat trees, I bought shelves for him in the living room and and low tables stacked up and installed wall shelvings for him and in the other rooms I bought low cupboards for him so that he can look out the windows.

Cat trees will become wobbly after awhile as they jump on and off it and it also depends how hard the cat will jump off and on. My boy is a parkour cat and he bounces off things :lol: and so cat trees cannot survive the beatings.
Zuko definitely gets the zoomies and jumps around. He knocked over an arm chair the other night, which is his usual haunt now that he’s outgrown the tree. You don’t have any issues with the shelves on walls? Like falling, tilting, or pulling away from the wall? That might be a good solution. I’ve also seen hammocks that attach to the wall and that was previously his favorite part of his tree.

Tabbytom has a good point :)

FRISCO 76-in XXL Heavy Duty Cat Tree, Cream - Chewy.com
For reference I got this for my angel kitty Poppy who also was a big cat. He had a bit of a squeeze getting into the caves although he was able to do it.

What about something more like this (ignoring the pictures of the cats that I think were photoshopped in and aren't a good size reference ) where the cave openings are larger?
YAHEETECH 54-in Cat Scratching Tree, Black - Chewy.com
These might work for our living room that has more space! We just have the one cat, so it kind of feels excessive, but he’s also a giant soo 🤣🤣

FE15C817-FA65-4CA1-A442-6A92AB3C55BE.jpeg

The chair incident. He was entirely unbothered.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
You don’t have any issues with the shelves on walls? Like falling, tilting, or pulling away from the wall? That might be a good solution. I’ve also seen hammocks that attach to the wall and that was previously his favorite part of his tree.
Hang on, let me find the photos.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A sturdy well made tree is a must for cats of any size. Cheaply made trees are prone to toppling over from the force of a cat jumping on or off and parts can break off as shown in the picture above. Any tree can be attached to the wall with furniture safety straps to prevent damage and injury. Lots of people here swear by inexpensive trees bought from Chewy or Amazon or a chain pet stores but the perches are basically thin plywood that might be covered in thin carpet or sisal and the overall tree is very lightweight. These trees won't last long under constant heavy use IMO.

I have a solid wood tree made by a local company ARUBACAT - CAT FURNITURE It's held up to two cats for over 10 years and still in good condition. I've seen solid wood trees sold on Etsy .com Prices may be expensive and there may be shipping / freight charges included.

Wall shelves and ramps may be an option to look into. I know Etsy has plenty of those and sellers may be able to custom make some to accommodate your cat's size.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Woah!!! These are so cool! Maybe in the future I can build him something custom like that…

CaseysMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Zuko is beautiful! :hearthrob: I'm glad you started this thread, because I am afraid I will be dealing with the same thing with Tiny! She is not so "tiny" anymore, and she uses her cat tree really "forcefully". LOL. It rocks back and forth every time she gets on the top, and I'm afraid it isn't going to last long. It was just a relatively cheap one from Petco. I will look into some of these solid wood ones.