Laps Up Sauce/Leaves Meat and Veg

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried everything, but now I am just tossing out cans of uneaten food.
She laps up the gravy and leaves the meat and vegetables.
Any Pate' makes her sick to her stomach.
She used to eat it all if I micro'd it for 5 seconds.
I have tried topping it with Churu which she will eat when mixed with dry kibble.
Any suggestions as to ad-ins to make her eat the good stuff?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried using a blender on the meat/gravy foods to see if that might work? It might make the consistency similar to pates, but maybe the taste may be more amenable to your cat. And just today I saw another post about this product for mixing/blending cat food.
OXO Tot Mash Maker Baby Food Mill, Teal + Free Shipping (amazon.com) [courtesy of I IronCladLou ].

There are toppers/gravies/broths that you might try with the dry food if blending the meat/gravy foods doesn't help. Maybe use one of them, as well as some water, and let the dry food soak in it until soft. That will help with added moisture to offset the lack of wet foods.
Amazon.com : cat gravy only

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I vote blender as well. You might have to play with the consistency. You can take some out at a time and add a slight bit more water until she eats it. She might want it to basically be soup.

I use a baby bullet personally.

Also try different containers. She may only eat the chunks off of paper towel or similar. Sometimes the bowls are too slippery and it causes frustration.

You can try raising the cat bowl as well. The cardboard that the cat food comes in is perfect for this.

If you haven't already done so, I'd also suggest a vet visit and some blood work. Not eating their usual foods can be a sign of some diseases. Make sure they include a hyperthyroid check and a dental check to see if they suggest dental x-ray.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the suggestions. I do believe it is her teeth that are the problem because she ate more than usual this morning. (she does have to have 2 extracted next Wed) I took my blender stick and blended the gravy and food and she at a bit. I also crushed her kibble with a stick and then mixed some Churu in it real good and she ate more of that than she ever ate before with just the Churu on top..

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
GranolaLouise GranolaLouise Wonderful news. She will feel much better after those out I'm sure. Don't be shy about adding a bit more water once she's 'finished' and offering her more. Or putting it away and following this process a bit later with the same food.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GranolaLouise GranolaLouise Wonderful news. She will feel much better after those out I'm sure. Don't be shy about adding a bit more water once she's 'finished' and offering her more. Or putting it away and following this process a bit later with the same food.
Great way to get more water in her too!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems like you have solved the problem but my cat also likes gravy. She will eat weruva press your lunch, jello like texture I cut up and churu

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So far she is doing a bit better by my putting the caned food in the bullet, but she won;t touch the kibble now even with water . She smells it and walks away. Also , if it is not eaten right away it gels, so I gave up on that.
I figure if she can crunch a Temptation, she can crunch some kibble. As for Greenies..I quit giving her those because she just swallows them whole!
Wednesday she goes for her double extraction and I have no idea what to feed her.

Now another question:
How much salt is in Purina Pro Essentials wet food , Temptation and Churu treats? She seems to drink drink drink after eating those.i wonder if they are healthy. Temptations say "0.46% on as as fed basis" whatever that means..is that high?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So glad to hear she's getting her wet food. I dont see any reason to add water to her kibble if she's eating wet again and it's causing issues to do so.

Re: Greenies. They are very hard so they aren't recommended for cats under one year because of how hard they are. It makes me wonder if they are too hard for senior cats. My cat had two cracked teeth

I haven't found these to be high in salt. Because she has dental issues she could be using water to wash things down or rinse her mouth afterwards.

These are all things my cats eat regularly. They don't drink a bunch of water directly afterwards.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad to hear she's getting her wet food. I dont see any reason to add water to her kibble if she's eating wet again and it's causing issues to do so.

Re: Greenies. They are very hard so they aren't recommended for cats under one year because of how hard they are. It makes me wonder if they are too hard for senior cats. My cat had two cracked teeth

I haven't found these to be high in salt. Because she has dental issues she could be using water to wash things down or rinse her mouth afterwards.

These are all things my cats eat regularly. They don't drink a bunch of water directly afterwards.
That could be just it. I notice she opens her mouth w-i-d-e after eating and I get the feel that she is trying to celar something. Perhaps what you stated is just the case. Wednesday when she has her extractions will tell. I have so much to learn as a first time cat mom.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That could be just it. I notice she opens her mouth w-i-d-e after eating and I get the feel that she is trying to celar something. Perhaps what you stated is just the case. Wednesday when she has her extractions will tell. I have so much to learn as a first time cat mom.
My boy has done that and licked around his mouth a lot since his extractions 🤣 I think things get stuck sometimes for him now.

Don't worry. We all have stuff to learn! Studies on cats are only just slowly increasing too so it's a great time to be a first time cat parent.