Lap Cat

trudie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My last cat was very definitely a lap cat. After he passed away last year, I rescued a Maine Coon mix from a shelter. She's very sweet but just does not feel the need to sit in anyone's lap. In fact, she's usually in another part of the house altogether, all by herself. She eats, sleeps, poops and plays normally when she is in the same room with us. She will seek me out about once a week for a few minutes of attention, and that's it. I really miss a cat in my lap. Any suggestions? Thanks.

dmrdm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 4 Maine Coons. They are wonderful cats. They have great personalities. One of mine, which passed away last month at age 3 was a lapcat. He loved to be carrierd also. He turned into a limp rag. It was great. I have 4 or 5 books on Maine Coons and some of them mention that Maine Coons are not lap cats. While they always want to be around you (they call them the gentel giants) like a dog, but they are not lapcats. Some say that is because of their size, that they just aren't comfortable on laps. Mine will sleep in bed with me and when I lay on the couch and watch TV, they may lay on the top edge of the couch or the footpart of the lazyboy, but none will be in my lap. Right now three of them are in the room with me. One always does his own thing and will not let you pick him up. Of course, like anything, you will find ones that are (we certainly did), but I don't believe it is in their nature. I do miss the one that was the lapcat, so I do know what you mean. Our lapcat was the youngest, so it was sad loosing him.

Some are very receiptive to attention, so the more attention you give them, the more they respond back to you, but I'm not sure you can turn one into a lapcat that is not one. One of mine will jump up when I'm computer and give me a few bumps and want to be petted, but it usually doesn't last too long. I'd just keep on giving her attention and see where it goes.

catpsych

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Trudie,
I feel your pain, I myself have two kitties that could care less if I was there or not....well, as long as I'm there to turn on the bathroom sink faucet in the morning for a fresh drink.
But my boys too, casually roam my home....approaching me for affection rarely. 99% of the time I go find them and love on them, they don't much care for it, but they know once I get my lovins fix I'll let them go about their business, so they gracefully accept it these days. But as far as getting your kitty to be a lap cat.....I would get a handful of your cat's favorite treat and sit down on your couch (or where ever you'd like your kitty to be a lap cat at) and gradually shape her behavior. Shaping is where you reward her everytime she gets a step closer to doing what you want her to do. For example, everytime she comes a bit closer to you on the couch reward her with a treat, hand it to her if you can reach her, toss it to her if you cannot. Little by little she will get closer and closer until she is eventually in your lap. When she is in your lap make sure to reward her with lots of praise, attention, and treats. If you are consistant and follow this little routine everyday, pretty soon you should have her trained to hop right up in your lap for some lovins before you know it. The key is to reward the progress she makes each and everytime. I hope this helps and you have a lap kitty soon.....if not, sometimes their personalities just won't permit it, just like how not all of us humans are people persons, not all of our cats are either. I wish you the best though and will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Kerry

Originally Posted by trudie

My last cat was very definitely a lap cat. After he passed away last year, I rescued a Maine Coon mix from a shelter. She's very sweet but just does not feel the need to sit in anyone's lap. In fact, she's usually in another part of the house altogether, all by herself. She eats, sleeps, poops and plays normally when she is in the same room with us. She will seek me out about once a week for a few minutes of attention, and that's it. I really miss a cat in my lap. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trudie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply.

az<3me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi there, trudie, and welcome to the TCS!
my sugestion is to get urself a devon
of course if you can afford urself to take care of 2 cats.. 99% of devons are absolutely lap-shoulder-neck cats
. he simply cant imagine his life without me. he sleeps all the time when i am not home, and from the moment i open the door his is on my shoulder licking my chin
i personaly LOVE this breed
p.s. for ex. now he is sitting on my chest, its kinda hard to breath but oh well