Lap Cat No More

coasterdon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi When I got Oliver from the shelter in October he was always on my lap or anyone else's for that matter. I enjoy a lap cap but now he never sits on our laps. Is this because he is secure now in knowing we aren't going anywhere. He still likes petting and purrs a lot.

abbi hinshaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It may be that your new cat just doesn't want to sit on laps, I just a cat recently and he loves to roam but that will change. Cats behavior changes. It is possible that he is secure and knows that you aren't gonna leave him. Where there signs of abuse, he could have had abandonment issues and the first couple of months he was scared that you would leave. it could be just about anything but it is normal for a cat to not want to be on someones lap after a certain amount of time. :)

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
It's true that cat behavior does change and lap cats do stop sitting on laps sometimes. I've had the reverse happen, too, with a cat who never sat on laps before suddenly taking to sitting on mine. However, I am wondering if you live where it's summer right now. Depending on how hot it is, your cat may simply be too warm to be near your body heat.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If he was a kitten or a young cat when you got him, as a teenage or young adult cat you often see them get independent and less willing to sit in your lap. For them, there is just too much to do and get into to take the time to cuddle and they may be willing to get close only at night or they get sleepy. You can try picking your cat up if they allow it and see if some stroking and sweet talk can make them linger and want more. Or give him a treat only while he is next to you so that he associates your closeness with all kinds of good things.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
The Summer/Winter thing that Margd mentioned is definitely a thing with my two. Totally disinterested in Summer but can't get enough lap-time in Winter. :rolleyes2:

supergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have seen the same with my Cotton, as she became a teen, she grew more independent, less lap, more sleep in her own bed, plus the weather is hotter now. She still comes up for a cuddle, but it only lasts for a minute, then she sees a bird in the window :D

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the security issue, he is feeling more secure and doesn't think he is going to be abandoned. Many cats are lovey when they are young, and not so much when they get older. But one thing is for sure, when they are cold they insist on a lap!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats know if I get under a blanket, my lap is open for a long period. So maybe your cat still likes to cuddle just at different times? I have one cat that likes to be on my lap but not petted most of the time. Hang in there ..... once they get past their hyper phase they get really snugly :)