Landscaping ideas??

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any landscaping ideas for me? My initial plan was to dig out the archway in my backyard to deal with the grass that keeps growing beneath it. I dug it out today and the wood platform is not in great shape, so I'll have to rebuild it. It's not centered with my firepit like I had hoped either and now I have to decide if I want to move it and rebuild it a few feet away so it is centered with the firepit, or rebuild it where it is. I have a picture below of what it looks like now. I'm kind of stuck on how to make things look more cohesive. I should add that I will be putting down landscaping fabric over the dirt parts and then woodchips over that in the next few weeks.

In the picture it doesn't look off-center, but it is. The yellow line is where it should be centered. The blue lines are where I plan to continue digging up sod. Orange is where I plan to put my vegetable gardens, red are two small amur maples that I planted last year, and green are two small spruces I planted last year. About halfway up the path until the blue lines are planted with tulips.

thumbnail (1)_LI.jpg

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any landscaping ideas for me? My initial plan was to dig out the archway in my backyard to deal with the grass that keeps growing beneath it. I dug it out today and the wood platform is not in great shape, so I'll have to rebuild it. It's not centered with my firepit like I had hoped either and now I have to decide if I want to move it and rebuild it a few feet away so it is centered with the firepit, or rebuild it where it is. I have a picture below of what it looks like now. I'm kind of stuck on how to make things look more cohesive. I should add that I will be putting down landscaping fabric over the dirt parts and then woodchips over that in the next few weeks.

In the picture it doesn't look off-center, but it is. The yellow line is where it should be centered. The blue lines are where I plan to continue digging up sod. Orange is where I plan to put my vegetable gardens, red are two small amur maples that I planted last year, and green are two small spruces I planted last year. About halfway up the path until the blue lines are planted with tulips.

View attachment 376948
a pond filled with bass,panfishand catfishthenyou can use a cane pole and fish out fresh fish for dinner summer fish fry

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a pond filled with bass,panfishand catfishthenyou can use a cane pole and fish out fresh fish for dinner summer fish fry
That would be way more work than I want to deal with, plus I live in Minnesota, so it would just be an ice rink in the winter and I don't skate. :p

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the fields past your back yard! Maybe consider a pre-made metal arbor or arch? Easier than rebuilding and also can be moved if you don’t like the location.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I worked on a different area of my yard today and got a lot farther in part of the path I'm making. I decided to do river rock on the path leading to the firepit and then around the firepit since mixing woodchips near fire didn't seem like a good idea.;) The dirt parts of the path not covered by woodchips will be covered with hostas. There are some planted there now, but they may not be as lush as I'd like them to be for a few years.
thumbnail (3).jpg

Here's a more detailed plan I have for the path. The green is hostas, the gold is where I will continue the woodchips. The pink will be river rocks and the orangey red will be more of the fancier landscape edging. It's really kind of sad that I started doing all of this landscaping as a way to cut down on how much I have to mow. I made more work for myself to avoid a different form of work.
thumbnail (3)_LI.jpg

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I worked on a different area of my yard today and got a lot farther in part of the path I'm making. I decided to do river rock on the path leading to the firepit and then around the firepit since mixing woodchips near fire didn't seem like a good idea.;) The dirt parts of the path not covered by woodchips will be covered with hostas. There are some planted there now, but they may not be as lush as I'd like them to be for a few years.
View attachment 377087
Here's a more detailed plan I have for the path. The green is hostas, the gold is where I will continue the woodchips. The pink will be river rocks and the orangey red will be more of the fancier landscape edging. It's really kind of sad that I started doing all of this landscaping as a way to cut down on how much I have to mow. I made more work for myself to avoid a different form of work.
View attachment 377088
but your enjoying yourself and will feel well satisfied once your done