Landlord Made Me Remove Cat's Second Litter Box

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My landlord allows my cat (formerly her cat) to use a two-story foyer area that connects to my bedroom, but has asked that I move all of the cat stuff temporarily before a property inspection. Smo's second litterbox is kept in the foyer, and I've had to empty and wash it out. I won't be able to put it back for about 10 days, according to my landlord.

Smo has been using the second litterbox for a couple months now, and seemed confused that I didn't put it back after cleaning it last night. Now I'm worried that she'll refuse to use the foyer box after the inspection, since it took her a few months to decide she was going to use it at all. Since she started living with me I've always been consistent about the location of her box(es), so I don't know how she's going to react.

Is it likely she'll go back to using the foyer box like nothing happened or will we be back to using one litterbox?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If a cat is good about using the boxes, moving or eliminating one is not necessarily a problem; I've done it, and I'm sure many here have. However, cats are all sorts of different in how they feel about and act towards their litter boxes so I'm not sure anyone can really give you percentages. So...not to be flip, but it will be fine ... unless it isn't.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I get where you're coming from. Smo's pretty adaptable from having been moved around several times by her previous owners, and isn't the type to freak out over big changes (small ones are a different story, lol). When I adopted her last fall she had been dumped outside for a couple months, and hugely insecure about territory. I think she may have avoided the foyer box for so long because she was afraid of "claiming" it as hers - she used to get locked in there by herself every night for years :(

So much has changed for her since then though and she's turned into a happy, confident cat - so hopefully all will be well.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since Smo has already had to adjust to different homes and therefore litter box locations, she should be fine. Just watch and ensure she's doing all her toileting in the one litter box.

Adelei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ten days isn't that long - cats can remember for years. I had a genius cat that I taught to use a bell on my bedroom door when I was a teenager - ring it to go out. I only showed it to her once and she used it for about a year till I took it down. Years later (seriously,like 10 years later), I found that bell while visiting my parents with her and she immediately started using it again like it was nothing. Granted, she was the smartest cat I ever had, but still.

With my current cats in my current apartment, I'm constantly moving litter boxes around to suit where I want them at the moment. I'll leave them there for a few months even, but then move them to another spot. And sometimes I'll have tons of litter boxes, then I'll get sick of having that many and take some away... The cats never have a hard time adjusting, they always figure out where to go.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have moved mine. Cats don't care. Anywhere they can dig. You might have to live in the foyer for 10 days! Though since you have had them for so long there should not be a problem