Lame Neutered Cat

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My boy Charlie is lame. He has been for about 5 or 6 days. He is 10 months old, neutered and indoor/outdoor. Yesterday he seemed worse so I took him to the vet. He examined him and watched him walk and no signs of lameness at all. He had a fever though and listened to my protestations of his having been lame and crying when his rear right leg was touched, he had a slight fever too so administered unknown paid meds. I meant to ask what they were at the time but was overwhelmed by his apparent recovery I forgot. Anyway fast forward to tonight and he is still very much lame. He has been laying down all day, will only eat cooked steak. I haven't seen him drink all day so I administered some water via syringe almost 2 hours ago. After that he hid in my wardrobe and won't come out. I'm currently waiting for my vet to call me back. I'm mostly concerned because the vet seemed so non plussed and we have recently moved so this is a new vet and as we live in Saudi Arabia, I have to admit I doubt the ability of the vets. I wish Charlie could tell me what is wrong. Does anyone else have any similar experience? Any idea what it could be? Thank you. One very worried kitty mamma

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm trying to find someone with more knowledge about things in that part of the world, what to expect from vets, etc. With the fever, I am thinking some infection of some sort. Now, if he stops eating, you can purchase a pate-type cat food, mix it with water, and give that with the syringe, as well. AND that will keep him hydrated while you get back to that vet, or another.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He could have been bit by another cat and has an abscess. Can you feel/see any swelling at all or a lump? It will burst after about a week and drain. That would account for the high white blood cell count. My cats are always lame for about two weeks, then it bursts and they get better. Hopefully one of the shots is an antibiotic, you might want to call and ask.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it sounds like he has an infection and needs antibiotics.

Lethargy indicates fever, and fever indicates infection. Antibiotics cure infection.

If he also has soft tissue damage from a sprain, fall, or bite, he may also benefit from a steroid shot.

Can you see anything wrong on his leg?

If this vet does not get back with you shortly, please get your little guy to a different vet or an emergency vet right away!

Please let us know what happens!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got hold of the vet. He said he gave dexamethasone. It's a cocorticosteroid. He said to bring him in the morning. (He called me back at 11pm) I've been giving him water via syringe every few hours but he really doesn't want it. Been trying to tempt him with every which food we have in the house. No sign of an abscess or bite anywhere. He will have a blood test and x ray in the morning. I just want it to hurry and be the morning. I couldn't get a hold of 2 emergency Vets!

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He could have been bit by another cat and has an abscess. Can you feel/see any swelling at all or a lump? It will burst after about a week and drain. That would account for the high white blood cell count. My cats are always lame for about two weeks, then it bursts and they get better. Hopefully one of the shots is an antibiotic, you might want to call and ask.
The blood work i posted a while ago belongs to his sister. Thanks though.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Emergency vets not being available is strange, but good you have an appointment first thing in the morning.

Add a sprinkle of sugar or honey and salt to the water you are giving. It will more resemble an electrolyte solution, and continue giving it.

Poor little guy - I hope the vet can give antibiotics and do more to help him tomorrow!

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Emergency vets not being available is strange, but good you have an appointment first thing in the morning.

Add a sprinkle of sugar or honey and salt to the water you are giving. It will more resemble an electrolyte solution, and continue giving it.

Poor little guy - I hope the vet can give antibiotics and do more to help him tomorrow!
Not so strange out here I'm afraid. I spoke to our old vet from the region we were in when we rescued their pregnant mamma and he seemed to think he would be ok til morning. Well it's morning now and he just used the litter box for the first time I've seen since before 10am yesterday. Getting ready to take him to the vet now. Thanks everyone for trying to help. Makes me feel a little better to know you are all out there.

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On way back from vet now. Still no anti biotics but given metacam for the pain. He had 3 x rays taken and no sign of any damage or abscess although vet said abscess might just be too small to show up or could be a sprain. His fever had spiked to 40.5c and dehydrated despite my attempts to prevent that. Got rehydration solution for him now. Will update with any further news as it happens.

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, sorry i had no interner for a while! I went to APC in Riyadh. He seems much better now. No longer in pain and although he was stiff on his leg for a few days i think he is starting to walk more normally now. He is eating and drinking again and last night he even thought about playing with his siblings. My only concern now is his ears. They've been very pale inside since he got lame and the last few days I've notice only a few blood vessels/veins visible and they kind of cluster so he has red blotches almost. Thanks everyone for your concern and messages of advice and support.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like he is on the mend then. The pales ears are a tiny bit concerning, but not critically. What I would do is keep an eye on his gums. Should they get very pale, then he need to go in IMMEDIATELY, as this would indicate a severe anemia. Other than that (and I think the chances are reasonably small), he seems to be recovering well.

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi yes I’m here. Where in Saudi are u located? And what vet clinic/vet did you use?
Where in Saudi are you? My guys are rescues from our previous compound in Rabigh (2 hours north of jeddah) that we have brought with us to Riyadh.

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi ears are pretty much normal now. He's almost entirely normal now except he hasn't been playing with his siblings the way he was before. Then again none of them have been playing as much which is probably due to the heat.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, very good! And yeah, the heat can slow them (and us!) down considerably!