Lame Cat..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that Glucomine and chondroitin could make things worse? I discontinued it because my cat got sick. I expected the limping to get much worse but today... he seems to be doing better. Absolutely the entire time I increased the dose things just went quickly down hill.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Those supplements rarely cause side effects, and if they were to do so it would likely be diarrhea - maybe some might have vomiting, but, that is usually when the supplements aren't given with food. Just like it takes weeks for these supplements to build up in a cat's system to help alleviate joint issues, it would take time for them to be completely out of a cat's system; certainly more than one day.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to say his walking has improved substantially in the last 48 hours. Given that his walking went way down hill when I was giving him the Glucomine and Chondroin - I have to assume that played some role. Remember his walking got substantially worse over a three week period I increased the dose (I was giving him one pill and then I gave him two per directions on the bottle for his weight).

He is looking better as well. Brighter eyes...

Crossing fingers but I am wondering if he had stomach upset and I just didn't realize, and the inflammation from the stomach was leading to increased inflammation in the joints. In humans there can be a link between colitis and joint pain.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am now over 4 days post stopping Cosiquin and again another great day with the walking. Beyond the idea I couldn't see anything wrong with the walking I have noticed that before his legs were very far apart in the back. Like he had a ball on his butt and couldn't keep the legs close. Even if he was walking. But now, they are much closer together. As if the ball on his butt has gone. Honestly it was been about a 80% improvement. I am not saying he is back but now I think if someone wasn't watching closely they wouldn't notice.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I really thought it was working but tonight my cat had a catastrophic issue with the walking to me it feels like the joint keep being pulled out of wack, maybe a joint dislocation. It is just ONE leg. And when that leg "goes out" he can walk on it. I mean he really can't walk on it. And I don't see it getting better -- I am not sure an anti inflammatory is going to work because it seems to be the joint. That can be thrown out of wack by getting up quickly or jumping down from something -- which he won't stop doing.

My vet suggested to me that we do a vet visit by face time but I think he really needs a x-ray to see if the leg is dislocated. I think I am going to have to man up and take him in for a vet appointment. My vet even commented on the fact that he was able to jump up easily.

But for the moment I am going to give him the anti inflammatory medication and see if that helps (or see if just giving it time will help it).

Of course, I have to go into work tomorrow -- (after months of being at home) so hopefully we won't be too lame to do things without me.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My vet suggested to me that we do a vet visit by face time but I think he really needs a x-ray to see if the leg is dislocated. I think I am going to have to man up and take him in for a vet appointment. My vet even commented on the fact that he was able to jump up easily. But for the moment I am going to give him the anti inflammatory medication and see if that helps (or see if just giving it time will help it).
IMHO, given what you described and especially his age, I think he really needs to be examined in-person by your vet. Waiting can only cause him more pain and discomfort. If you're worried about him being alone when you go to work tomorrow you can try confining him to a room with his litter box, cat bed if he has one, comfy blankets to sleep on, etc. where he won't try to jump or injure the leg any further. Best of luck, please keep us updated on his progress and good luck to you on your first day back to work.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IMHO, given what you described and especially his age, I think he really needs to be examined in-person by your vet. Waiting can only cause him more pain and discomfort. If you're worried about him being alone when you go to work tomorrow you can try confining him to a room with his litter box, cat bed if he has one, comfy blankets to sleep on, etc. where he won't try to jump or injure the leg any further. Best of luck, please keep us updated on his progress and good luck to you on your first day back to work.
Taking him in is quite a risk because he makes such a fuss he could hurt himself more and then, what if there is nothing significantly wrong? From a young age my cat has had issues with this leg that usually went away.
My cat does not do well with confinement. That is a no go. I can't make him do anything he doesn't want to do and if he was in pain, I would have to assume he would stop jumping down when he has stairs right there.

I am committed to giving him the anti inflammatory medication but, if it does not resolve.. I am will make the appointment to put him down.

This stress cannot be good on me. I just wish I could find more support on the boards for this.. and not constantly hear -- take him to the vet. That is a no go.

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 14 year old cat who has arthritis. I didn't even know he had it until a mobile vet told me that was the reason he was pulling his fur out on his back leg. He is neurotic and has pulled his fur out since we got him (about 5 years ago). I've been giving him Cosequin since the beginning of March and it does seem to help. What he really likes is his heated bed ( he actually has 3 of them). I don't know if it's been mentioned before or if you have one already but if you don't it might be worth a try. I have also read that anti inflammatories might block the Cosequin too but not entirely sure on that. I'm sure you're at your wit's end but I think putting him down is a bit extreme as he doesn't seem to be in pain if he's still eating, drinking and eliminating normally.

K&H PET PRODUCTS Thermo-Kitty Cat Bed, Mocha, Large - Chewy.com

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Please allow me explain our reason for suggesting to take him to the vet. It's not meant to cause you any undue stress but rather it's because according to the site's rules we cannot offer medical advice since we are not vets. You said tonight your cat had a catastrophic issue with walking so I thought your vet might be able to give you a better prognosis if he was examined. I'm sorry if this was not the answer you wanted to hear and sincerely hope the anti-inflammatories you mentioned give him some relief.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So can anyone explain to me if this lameness should be expected? I called the vet yesterday and sent some videos and the vet didn't seem overly concerned. We seem to have narrowed the lameness to when he gets up from sleeping for a long time and also, when he stands for a bit in one position eating his food. Otherwise he seems fine. The vet said I should just continue with the cosiquin and make an appointment if it gets dramatically worse. Should I just expect this at 15 years old?
Did the cosequin kick in right away? I thought supplements take almost 30 days to see any results, with humans anyway. I don't think lameness is expected. I've had many cats that lived to be 15 to 18 years of age and only one has difficulty walking.
PS, My cat has difficulty with one back leg that kind of splays outward when she walks. She is heavy. She has a vet appt. I think I will try to get a video.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did buy a heated bed but my cat doesn't seem to like it.

I am now considering weight loss. My boy is 16 lbs -- if I could get him down two maybe the issue might resolve? Alternatively possible kidney issue but I will start a thread about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did the cosequin kick in right away? I thought supplements take almost 30 days to see any results, with humans anyway.
What is really odd is that I think my cat is doing better without the cosequin. I did go back and check records on here and I did notice lameness in February - I started cosequin then -- but I don't really feel it did anything.

He has been much better in the past few weeks but perhaps that is because it has been warm.

Is there anything that isn't Cosequin but is a natural remedy? I do feed my pet Hemp (capsules) which I assume are omega 3 fatty acids. But I don't know if the doses isn't enough.

Last edited:

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well my hopes were dashed last night. We had a thunderstorm which my cat is afraid of. He ran under the bed which he has to really squeeze and he has been limping ever since. He looks really miserable today. He finally seems to have gone to sleep so I am hoping the rest will cure things. I am going to try the medication that my vet gave me. I hope it works out ok - next three weeks I have a crazy work schedule so... I can't have a cat emergency. I would wait but his leg was pretty bad today and he looks like he is in pain. I have some time off at the end of June so... this could help me make a decision then.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat's neuropathy or weakness in her hind legs has turned out to be diabetes. I am so bummed because I have had her tested for diabetes in the past and they said she didn't have it. Now I have to start insulin and I am concerned her legs might not improve.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh no.. that sucks. Mine could have that as a possibility (every time he goes to the vet is blood glucose is high) but the vet said that is because he is upset and that he has no blood in his urine so that means he doesn't have diabetes... my last urine test was done a year ago... I am sorry to hear about your cat.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh no.. that sucks. Mine could have that as a possibility (every time he goes to the vet is blood glucose is high) but the vet said that is because he is upset and that he has no blood in his urine so that means he doesn't have diabetes... my last urine test was done a year ago... I am sorry to hear about your cat.
Could your vet do a home visit? Or any mobile vets?

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could your vet do a home visit? Or any mobile vets?
No. They have been out to the home before and he was unable to be examined. I even gave him the mass dose of gapapentin and he was able to shake it off long enough to fight the vet off. However, I did get a urine sugar test strip and so far... it hasn't shown sugar in the urine.. so ... for now.. my vet thinks that suggests it isn't diabetes (my cat also eats wet food) and his lame issue is just one leg.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your vet is incapable of examining your cat, perhaps you should look for another vet. Some vets even note that they aren't afriad to take care of ferals. You just need to find a vet with the guts to actually deserve his license.