Lame Cat..

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 15 year old boy just looks miserable lately. But last night and today he seems lame. Now, to be fair, he has been lame in this foot before (hind leg) and to be fair, I have probably been giving him too low a dose of Cosiquin... but he also looks... wobbly? Like his front legs keep collapsing too (but is that because he is putting more weight on them because one of the hind ones is bothering him?) It does seem like he has problems after he gets up from a long nap. This morning when I woke up (after he had been walking around for hours) he seemed better and then right after he slept for a few hours it was quite bad. He also seems to be able to "do" everything. Like he seems able to get up to my 2nd floor bedroom - walk down stairs - and jump up on his loveseat.

How would I know if this was something more serious? I do look out to make sure he is not walking on the flat part of his hind legs. He isn't.

He is eating normally and using the litter box normally.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I know you have other semi-related posts and I know I have read them, but I have not gone back to them before responding here. Did the vet have x-rays done to look for the level of arthritis your cat likely has? Does the vet think he has some level of inflammation somewhere within his joints? Could the vet prescribe something in addition to the Cosequin? Such as an anti-inflammatory? Has your cat ever had a dose of steroids just to see how much, if any, of a positive impact that might have? I am not suggesting continual use, but perhaps it might help the vet think of other types of therapies that could help in lieu of repeated steroids.

Does the issue with the front wobbly legs go away once he is up and moving? It is really hard to say if it could be something more serious, but his eating and litter box use being normal would suggest positive things. However, I would ask the vet about the wobbly front legs since this sounds like it is a newer issue.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Everything that FeebysOwner FeebysOwner said. Additionally, find out what the correct dosage is for the Cosequin, and make sure he gets it! If the vet says that this is arthritis, my girl has gotten a LOT of relief from her heated bed. She's in it for several hours a day, or on my bed, when the electric blanket is turned on. When I take the blanket off, I wrap a "never turns off" heating pad in two towels and keep that on low on the bed for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Things were really great this week and even at the start of the day. He walked around with me fine once he got up.. but then he did something getting up from a space and now he literally can hardly walk. it is quite bad. It comes and goes.. He got himself up on the couch and I am sure he will take his morning nap.. and I bet it will be all set by 12 noon. So it comes and goes. I am wondering if he needs to lose some weight. He is 16 lbs. that is actually pretty good for a him (just naturally a big boy) but I think if he could have have him loose a little weight.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't stress him out with a diet right now, at his age, maybe just reduce a tiny bit or more calorie-reduced treats like shaved turkey. It sounds like arthritis to me, maybe research some supplements to help him and try them. Maybe even some of the CBD products out for cats. There are many supplements out there, check the reviews and see which are best. I give my liquid supplements in a lickable treat and my cats lick them right up.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am actually giving him Canna Pet and Cosequen.

What is odd is that this morning he could hardly walk, but after 4 hours sleep he is back to normal.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Inflammation causing some sort of 'pinched nerve' affect? That could come and go as it might just be certain positions/activities that create the issue. Just a wild guess.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arthritis canbeworse after prolnged sleeping periods. It usually gets better with a little exercise. He may be handling whatever it is better at certain times too. It does sound like pain due to some kind of inflammation.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can tell you from my own experience, and from watching Hek that you tend to be FAR stiffer after sleeping. Moving around helps work the stiffness out.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Before I even read this today I decided perhaps I need to give him more exercise.. So I did get out a toy and work him out this morning and yes things look very nice -- I think I am going to have to work on that. Thanks all

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I weighed him this morning and he is down to 16 lbs even. His last weigh in was 16.4. I am not especially worried as he has ranged from 15.8 to 16.4 as an adult. It can also depend on what he just ate. I do think that working him out might be helpful as I haven't seen a "spell" in a bit.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Famous last words... i came home abruptly and he jumped off the couch quickly and can hardly walk. It does seem to be an issue of moving around quickly.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor old boy! Hopefully, he'll adjust. Might be time to invest in a couple of sets of pet stairs for his favorite furniture. Hek has one for the love seat and one for my bed. She doesn't use them EVERY time, but when she's sore, they're there for her.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So can anyone explain to me if this lameness should be expected? I called the vet yesterday and sent some videos and the vet didn't seem overly concerned. We seem to have narrowed the lameness to when he gets up from sleeping for a long time and also, when he stands for a bit in one position eating his food. Otherwise he seems fine. The vet said I should just continue with the cosiquin and make an appointment if it gets dramatically worse. Should I just expect this at 15 years old?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the 'lameness' goes away after he moves around a bit, then it truly sounds like arthritis. It will probably take a while for the Cosequin to help - as in several weeks. Then, the dosage/amount might need to be adjusted thereafter. Even with Feeby taking Glyco Flex Plus (glucosamine, chondroitin, green lipped mussels), there are still days when she gets up from a nap that she will limp some until she has moved about a bit. I also have numerous interim steps for her to use to get up on couches, bed, etc. She uses them all willingly!

Take a look at his current eating set up and see if you can improve it - or explain it to us and see if we can come up with some ideas for you. It isn't the same thing, but I did elevate Feeby's food dish so that she didn't have to bend over so much. It is really a good thing to do regardless of a cat's age - I had just not really thought about it until she got older.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Take a look at his current eating set up and see if you can improve it - or explain it to us and see if we can come up with some ideas for you. It isn't the same thing, but I did elevate Feeby's food dish so that she didn't have to bend over so much. It is really a good thing to do regardless of a cat's age - I had just not really thought about it until she got older.
I have elevated the dish.. but it doesn't seem to be helping. It appears like it is standing in the same spot not moving his legs for about 10 minutes or however long it takes to eat. In fact it has occurred to me that he used to eat his whole meal at once but lately he has been breaking it up... eating one half and then eating the other.. and I wonder if that is because he doesn't like standing that long. I have been doubling up on the cosiquin since mid April...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I bet him breaking up his eating into two sessions probably does have to do with him holding that position too long, but it could also just be part of aging. Feeby does something similar when eating. She seems to need to take mini-breaks during her meals. It's like she needs to let the food 'settle' before eating more. But, tbh, she also used to be a grazer when she was eating dry only - so that is likely part of her issue.

I wonder if anyone has ever set up an eating situation whereby their cat can sit/lay down to eat? Maybe in your cat's case the elevated dish isn't the right approach. Feeby's water dishes are not elevated, and there are occasions when she lays down (meat loaf position) to drink.

I hope other members who are reading this thread have some ideas about that aspect!

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So my vet wants me to try a medication called... meloxicam.
Has anyone else used it? Googling it things weren't too positive.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got the idea to upload a video to you tube. I am sorry that after it starts it goes sideways but if you tilt your laptop or phone to the side... you can see how difficult it is for my cat to walk today.