Ladies only please (personal problem)

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I have a UTI
It hurts so bad. Tomorrow my boss's mom is having surgery so I have to go to work, he is not going to be in all day. I have normally can get rid of these with out going to the doc but it sitting in a bathtub to dull the pain and drinking cranberry juice and water, not possible if I'm at work. Any tips on how to deal tomorrow? I bought some uristat but I haven't tried it yet. I also bought an at home test and hopefully my doc will just call something in for me, instead of making me go in. Worse yet our new insurance has kicked in BUT we don't have cards yet!!
ANOTHER problem, Since i'm trying to get pregant I really hate taking meds, just because of the slight chance I could be pregant. UGH!!! I feel so sorry for kitties that have these, they are so painfull, I can't imagine having to live with one for along time.

So any tips other then cranberry juice and water, has anyone tried uristat pills?

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UTIs are the worst! I tried Uristat, and it worked for me. I can really only think of cranberry juice, and lots of it, which I know can be rough at work. I'm a teacher, and there have been a few days that I was running for the bathroom between classes!

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uristat works like a charm. I am so grateful to the powers that be that it's available over the counter now! I keep some in my purse all the time, as I am very susceptible to UTI's.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by hissy
Val- GSE will kick it-
Ohhhh good idea! I'm going to try that too.

I hope that the uristat works, atleast to hold me over for tomorrow. I don't know why but I just can't deal with UTI pain well.

pollyanna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talk to your dr. and get some antibiotics!
The last time I got UTI I also was trying to get pregnant and didnt want to go on meds, but then I couldnt take the constant pain anymore (plus there was blood along with my pee, sorry if that is to much information :p), so I realized this wasnt gonna go away by itself. I told the dr. I might be pregnant (and I was, just didnt know by then
), so she gave me meds that were more suitable for pregnancy. Dont be afraid to ask for antibiotics, there are many kinds of them, and many very suitable for pregnancy!
UTI is so painful, dont wait! Gook luck!

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I get UTI's everytime I get pregnant , I dont need pregnancy tests my body seems to alert me with a UTI
Im sorry your hurting

pollyanna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Dana
I get UTI's everytime I get pregnant , I dont need pregnancy tests my body seems to alert me with a UTI
Im sorry your hurting
Hey, PP, so this might be a good thing! Maby your body is telling you you are allready pregnant!

Dana, that is so interesting that this alway happents! (not interesting-good though
) Knowing this, I am curious to know it I will get UTI again next time/if I get pregnant!

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uristat will take away the pain, but if you have an infection (bacterial) you will need antibiotics. Last few times I felt a twinge, I loaded up on the cranberry pills and drank water, and flushed whatever it was out. Go buy some cranberry pills if you can. Believe me, they do work. Hopefully, your Dr. will call something in for you. Or, either that, go to an urgent clinic.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, I'm so sorry. I know what you're going through and unfortunately don't have any other suggestions. ONe thing about your insurance though. Even though you haven't gotten the cards yet, all the doctor or pharmacy has to do is call. You should have a number or be able to get one from your HR department. I had to do that when I first started my new job and didn't have new cards yet. Actually I've done that many times in my lifetime when I started new jobs!

I know you want to get pregnant but it's more important right now for you to take care of yourself even if that means medication. Please don't let it go. I did that last year and ended up with a full blown kidney infection and they are no fun. IV's, shot in the butt, antibiotics that make you really sick. It's nothing to mess with. Especially when you can mess up your kidney's forever.

Take care of yourself!

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm sorry hun
They suck. I had one last week, and it was the first time I didn't have to see a doc. I started drinking cranberry juice at the first sign, and a friend reccommended taking a bath in epsom(sp?) salt because it dries up the infection. I did this for three days before I started my day, and it worked!!! I just soaked in water and a little over a cup of the salt. I didn't have to go to the doc at all!! Good luck on getting pregnant hun!!! My best friend just had a baby girl on Friday (she didn't know what she was having). I am SOO excited now that I know what the sex is! It made shopping for her baby shower hard. Hope ya feel better soon!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. Everyone is right, don't wait any longer then you have to. I ended up in the hospital for 3 days because of one of those. Now I drink Cranberry juice all the time. I haven't had one since then.(thankfully!) I hope you feel better soon!

shadowfein

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In SA, we have stuff called CitroSoda - which essentially makes your urine alkaline rather than acid. And we have tablets called Urispas - which are god's best invention in the whole world. But I agree, rather get some anti-biotics (just tell the doc you are TTC). The last thing you want is for it to subside and then come back full blown in a week's time. I also ended up in hospital once with one of these and it isn't pleasant! I hope that you feel better soon!

2rascalkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd suggest to go see a Doctor. I've had really bad UTI's from 2000-2002. But through taking the Doctor's advice; I've been pretty good so far for the past year. I hate taking antibiotics too, but whatever helps the pain is fine with me. Hehe! Been drinking Cranberry juice almost everyday.

Take care and get well soon!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by rosiemac
Whats UTI?. from what i've read it sounds like Thrush or Cystitis?, just so i know what were talking about.

Susan
UTI = Urinary Tract Infection

This is not something to ignore - go to the doctor, posthaste. Cranberry juice and OTC remedies can alleviate the symptoms but, antibiotics are the only way to knock it out.

a_loveless_gem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cranberry juice is all well and good but it's better to take the cranberry extract, it has the active ingredient that helps alleviate symptoms concentrated in pill form.

A urinary alkalinizer like Ural or Uristat can also help.

Grapefruit Seed Extract is something else that women take also.

And since you are trying to get pregnant, it's best to see a doctor about it as soon as possible.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never had a UTI (knock on wood) but my mom had them constantly. Her doctor told her that drinking cranberry juice on a regular basis will help prevent them, but once you have one, that drinking it doesn't do any good at all to eliminate them. In fact, he suggested that studies were inconclusive, but the PH in it might even do more harm than good once you have one. He had her drink tons of water once she got one.

She drank cranberry juice every day when she wasn't sick and it did help prevent them from reoccuring.