Lack of exercise/cardio workouts & kidney values going up?

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
2 questions: His feral life ended this summer as he was caught & we made him indoor only for his safety. He is anywhere from 5ish-8ish yrs old, no one knows? Now tho he only sleeps alot (w/ a tiny, sometimes, wheeze) & pees/poos/eats ok, & walks a bit then lies down to bed again. I play string as often as he'll play, & he jumps up & boxes w/ string a bit then tires. :(

His kidney test in Dec '19 showed creatinine of high end 2.4 (scale top end IS that 2.4) & back then, his SDMA 'kidney marker test' of 16 (over top value of test's 14!). Then in Oct '20 creatinine -- of worse -- 2.8! & higher too on SDMA test at 19!! -- up from 16 on Dec '19. Thus put on prescription Hills Sci. Diet kidney food. So, his now -- lack of running around as a feral as he did before August thus now more sedentary, & these rising numbers alarm me.

Anyone have advice? He is on Sci. Diet's k/d kidney cans & only likes Tuna but not their Chicken cans. TY all. :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may need to drink more too. Set small bowls of water around so he gets curious and checks them out, or get a fountain. If he doesn't drink enough, kidney values will be higher because they are concentrated. Fish oil supplements are recommended too. a sign of kidney failure is excessive thirst, so hopefully, this is acute and brought back under control. Exercise would help, but my cats sleep most of the day too, it is just what cats do. A cat tree may help, some catnip to rev him up, and toys to bat around, steep in a plastic bag with catnip. you have him already on a kidney diet, so that is good, as long as he is eating/drinking/pooing alright that is a positive too. His values aren't sky-high, so I'll pray this can all be reversed......
PS. vets are amazed all the time at the power of cat in self-healing, mine was diagnosed 15 months ago with terminal leukemia and given 'days' to live. We actually dug his grave since he couldn't even stand anymore. The vet said his WBC cell count was down to almost 0 and his heart wouldn't be able to take anymore. He is sitting right next to me right now!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, lots of water sources, and preferably not right next to food dishes. Cats' instincts tell them that food too near water can cause the water to be contaminated. It isn't a problem for all of them, but Hek doubled her water intake when I moved her primary bowl several feet from her food dish.

I doubt that the lack of excercise did this. If it could, my cat would have succumbed 5-6 years ago! However, exercise can only help. Is he at all interested in a laser pointer? They are perfectly safe, so long as you don't shine it directly in his eyes. And, if he really goes for that, you could add a Bengal wheel (if you have room for it), and use the laser to get him moving on it.

ToroBoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kidney disease can be managed. Keep feeding kidney food or any foods lower in phosphorus as it can be damaging to the kidneys. Also, as everyone else mentioned, it is important to keep your cat hydrated. It’s also a good idea to get your cat’s blood pressure taken as kidney disease can lead to hypertension.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here is an excellent website on feline kidney disease: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

I've had three kidney cats, and never heard that lack of exercise as the cause. Unfortunately, it's very common in cats, and lots of people (including me) believe it can be attributed to their diet. Since your guy was a feral, I'm guessing you don't really know what he ate before you took him in.

Since he sometimes will play with a string, perhaps he's like a Da Bird. That simulates a live bird fluttering around the house. When I bring that out, my cats go nuts. I have to cover our couches with blankets or they will tear them apart trying to get that thing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your help! I will make sure he has more water bowls as it is a good idea to asap do. I will try to stimulate him more but the hydration is key. He off and on eats the kidney diet but at least that and also w/ the raw Vital Essential's beef or rabbit. He really likes Sheba Perfect Portions mostly their fish flavors but I know fish is a no-no. Unfortunately w/ Sci. Diet kidney foods I can't get him eat Chicken but he will eat the Tuna. At least it helps him I hope. He is due soon to see a new vet as we've moved since Oct '20 and this is a long drive in winter to vet, and my worry is weather as scheduling appt ahead of time w/ their All-cat vet is hard as he books very fast.