Laceration seems to be not healing

Taylor22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I posted a little while ago about a laceration underneath my cats tongue. It’s been about a week since our vet visit and her mouth doesn’t seem to be healing. She’s still drooling some blood and she’s starting to smell like the blood. I also noticed a patch of hair missing from her back that wasn’t there before all of this, the doctor did give her a shot of antibiotics so maybe a reaction? I’m not sure. She still has a pretty big appetite, she’s even begging for table food but she still is having a hard time eating. She also seems to be a little more tired than usual. The vet told me to give him a call tomorrow if she doesn’t seem to be improving and I will definitely be calling first thing in the morning, I’m just super concerned. The vet did say that it was a pretty nasty laceration under her tongue, but I was just hoping she’d improve by now.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has she finished the pain relief? Sometimes that can make then drowsy. I think the only thing for it is another check up and patience. As long as everything else seems normal, don't stress yourself out. It would be particularly hard to heal, I would imagine, as each time she moves her tongue, the laceration will probably be aggravated all over again. Would love updates, and best of luck.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Iwould agree that it probably gets irritated every time she eats because she has to move her tongue. Not sure what the fix is, but hopefully the Vet will have a solution.

Let us know what they say

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You’re feeding soft food correct? Any idea how it happened? And you’re sure it’s not a burn? The vet was able to visualize it well? It’s super great that she still wants to eat. Super super great.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Taylor22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, it’s been almost a week since I posted this but things have still not approved and may be worse than we originally thought. I took Neela to the vet last Thursday, with the hopes of bringing her home the following day. The vet called us and said that the laceration under her mouth may be cancerous and he wanted to do a biopsy, so he was going to keep her over night so he could sedate her and do the procedure Friday morning. I spoke to him again on Friday night, hoping that we’d be able to bring her home but he said she was having a hard time eating and he didn’t want to send her home in that condition. He kept her over the weekend and told us that we’d have a definite answer about he biopsy on Monday, but he said that he tried to look at it under a microscope himself and he was leaning towards cancer. I’m trying to hard to hope for the best, but I’m so worried and things just don’t seem to be looking good

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sending love and good luck your way, hope everything turns out ok :vibes::vibes:

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, it’s been almost a week since I posted this but things have still not approved and may be worse than we originally thought. I took Neela to the vet last Thursday, with the hopes of bringing her home the following day. The vet called us and said that the laceration under her mouth may be cancerous and he wanted to do a biopsy, so he was going to keep her over night so he could sedate her and do the procedure Friday morning. I spoke to him again on Friday night, hoping that we’d be able to bring her home but he said she was having a hard time eating and he didn’t want to send her home in that condition. He kept her over the weekend and told us that we’d have a definite answer about he biopsy on Monday, but he said that he tried to look at it under a microscope himself and he was leaning towards cancer. I’m trying to hard to hope for the best, but I’m so worried and things just don’t seem to be looking good
I was afraid of that. Sending prayers to you and your kitty. 🙏🏽❤🙏🏽❤

Taylor22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! Just wanted to keep everyone updated. Neela is home, but unfortunately we’re still waiting on the biopsy results. When I went to pick her up I spoke to the nurse and she told me that she misunderstood and that we wouldn’t get the results back for a week or two. It’s been a week and we still haven’t heard anything yet, but I’m glad she’s home. She’s still bleeding/drooling, sometimes it can be a lot. It’s usually bad after she eats, which she’s been doing non stop. It hasn’t affected her appetite at all and she’s still trying to clean herself, which unfortunately results in her fur smelling like blood. She actually chased after a moth yesterday, slowly but the the drive was there! I’m trying to stay positive but it’s been a little hard, she’s lost some weight and she seems to be more tired than usual

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! Just wanted to keep everyone updated. Neela is home, but unfortunately we’re still waiting on the biopsy results. When I went to pick her up I spoke to the nurse and she told me that she misunderstood and that we wouldn’t get the results back for a week or two. It’s been a week and we still haven’t heard anything yet, but I’m glad she’s home. She’s still bleeding/drooling, sometimes it can be a lot. It’s usually bad after she eats, which she’s been doing non stop. It hasn’t affected her appetite at all and she’s still trying to clean herself, which unfortunately results in her fur smelling like blood. She actually chased after a moth yesterday, slowly but the the drive was there! I’m trying to stay positive but it’s been a little hard, she’s lost some weight and she seems to be more tired than usual
You and your little precious are in my prayers sweetie.

Taylor22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

So we received the results of the biopsy and unfortunately it is cancerous. Neela is still eating, but she’s a little more lethargic than before. She’s still drooling a little, but I haven’t noticed a lot of blood in the last few days. She’s starting to smell more and she’s ripping a little bit of her hair out, but its because she keeps trying to clean herself with her blooding tongue which is causing her fur to get matter. I’m heartbroken and it doesn’t help that I’ve already experienced a lot of loss over the last few months. She hides during the day, but she likes being around people at night. She’s currently laying next to me on the couch. I plan to give her everything she wants and make whatever time she has left as comfortable as possible, she’s had some milk, tuna, and baby food the last few days. I plan to play it by hear and see how much she’s suffering, one it seems like enough I’ll make the decision to end her suffering. It’s just such a hard choice to make, but I know it will come to it and it’s the best thing for her. Since the diagnosis she’s already deteriorated faster than I would imagine

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

So we received the results of the biopsy and unfortunately it is cancerous. Neela is still eating, but she’s a little more lethargic than before. She’s still drooling a little, but I haven’t noticed a lot of blood in the last few days. She’s starting to smell more and she’s ripping a little bit of her hair out, but its because she keeps trying to clean herself with her blooding tongue which is causing her fur to get matter. I’m heartbroken and it doesn’t help that I’ve already experienced a lot of loss over the last few months. She hides during the day, but she likes being around people at night. She’s currently laying next to me on the couch. I plan to give her everything she wants and make whatever time she has left as comfortable as possible, she’s had some milk, tuna, and baby food the last few days. I plan to play it by hear and see how much she’s suffering, one it seems like enough I’ll make the decision to end her suffering. It’s just such a hard choice to make, but I know it will come to it and it’s the best thing for her. Since the diagnosis she’s already deteriorated faster than I would imagine
Oh no Taylor, that cancer is the worst. Just the worst. Im so sorry for your and your little kitty. Did your vet give you something for discomfort? She will benefit from it. There is an herb you can give that will help with the bleeding if you’re interested. I gave it to my kitty when he had that cancer in his sinus. It’s called yunnan Baiyao. It’s a Chinese herb that is just amazing. It has a lot of properties but the ones I used it for was pain control and hemostasis. It really helped. Prednisilone helped too. I used other things too but these really improved my rusty’s quality of life.

I don’t know if you’re interested in this or not. I’m just letting you have the info so that if you are, you’ll have it at hand instead of waiting for it. Also, I don’t know if you’re in the U.S. but if you are, look for a place where you can get expedited shipping or perhaps a local herbalist or vet would have it. If you decide you want to try it, you don’t want to have to wait a long time to get it. Good luck sister. 🙏🏽❤

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please be *very* careful with any concoctions sourced from China since a) they are not required to disclose ingredients for "herbal medicines" protected by trade secret (YB is formulated from at least a dozen secret compounds, so there is always the potential for drug interactions), b) there is regular mass contamination of TCM products (including YB), and c) efficacy and safety are rarely validated in controlled trials. If you trust your source for YB and feel it would help ease Neela's suffering, then go for it! There *are* some trials showing a modest increase in some hemostatic parameters in dogs. Just be aware of the risks with anything that isn't approved by pharmaceutical regulatory bodies. I hope your sweet girl finds relief from her pain and that when the time comes you are both as comfortable as possible.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please be *very* careful with any concoctions sourced from China since a) they are not required to disclose ingredients for "herbal medicines" protected by trade secret (YB is formulated from at least a dozen secret compounds, so there is always the potential for drug interactions), b) there is regular mass contamination of TCM products (including YB), and c) efficacy and safety are rarely validated in controlled trials. If you trust your source for YB and feel it would help ease Neela's suffering, then go for it! There *are* some trials showing a modest increase in some hemostatic parameters in dogs. Just be aware of the risks with anything that isn't approved by pharmaceutical regulatory bodies. I hope your sweet girl finds relief from her pain and that when the time comes you are both as comfortable as possible.
It is quite true that Chinese herbal’s are known for being contaminated with heavy metals and such. But Neely, being at the stage that she is, (I don’t think) necessarily has to worry about contamination. It is been in the Chinese formulary for more than a century and has been used and studied extensively. Just not in the United States. In fact, all Chinese soldiers have their backpacks equipped with yunnan baiyao in case they get wounded. I guess that really is neither here nor there. I just know that I helped my cat a lot. When he started bleeding from his nose due to the tumor, yunnan baiyao stopped it. And it gave him enormous of pain relief.