Labor, or trouble?

shemarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Greetings all. Short version - took in a stray that looked pregnant,...she's continued to swell up & develop nipples. When vet checked her (early on) - vet said couldn't tell for sure...if she was, it was early on in the pregnancy. So....delivery date unknown.

Pixie hasn't "nested", nor have I been able to detect any movement of kittens. In the past few days, however, her behaviour has changed. First she woke me & hubby up "grooming" us one morning - when she normally doesn't even get into bed with us.

Then she started wondering around the house meowing, for no apparent reason.

She has eaten very little today, altho prior to this, she had been eating well.

Starting this afternoon....her entire body would "ripple", and she would raise her hindquarters....kinda like a cat in heat does. She also holds her tail off to the side at this time.

She very much likes her belly to be rubbed tonite....and I'm seeing moisture on her hind parts. It is a clear liquid.

She has slept a lot yesterday and today,....except for those periods where she "ripples" and meows. Otherwise, she seems in good health, good spirits, not lethargic, still curious and somewhat playful.

So,....is this labor? If yes, normal labor? Or could I be mistaken on the pregnancy, and she is in heat? Do cat's nipples form when they are in heat? All my prior female cats were fixed....so I'm unfamiliar with the whole "in heat / pregnant / labor" thing. Any advice is appreciated!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have very limited experience in this but Molly didn't ripple for that long. She did get very affectionate a few hours prior. Mom was just about to go to sleep when she jumped on the bed for some loves. It was all over in possibly 7 hours. This started around 10ish but I wasn't home so I don't know in what order. I came home around 2ish and she was having the first baby. The 2nd one came a few hours later.

Good Luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shemarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So the ripply thing could well be labor? Ah geez.....may be in for a long nite. She just started that this afternoon.....and even then it was very sporadic. Has gotten a lot more frequent as the evening went on.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat sounds like she is in labor hon. What you may be experiencing with the ripples are contractions. The clear discharge is one of the first signs of labor.

Will she let you see her nipples/touch her? Can you gently squeeze one and see if there is any milk comming out of them? They should be large/reddish/pink.

The symptoms you described are her trying to "nest" and get ready for labor- all of that is normal- no worries!

You need to get a few things ready should you have to help delivery the kittens. Normally the momma will take care of everything and you won't have to interviene- but in the event you need to, it's best to be prepared.
Want me to walk you through it?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sent you a pm with lots of info and some useful links! I hope it helps! If you need anything/ have any questions just let me know!

shemarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Walk me thru it?? How about run?? yes please - all help appreciated. Pixie and I are currently locked into the computer room....which is also "her room" - litter box, water, food, cat carrier / bed....and large box with comfie blankie inside. Which she normally likes...and is ignoring now. I think she wants to have the kittens in the bed with hubby.

She's liking her back scratched and belly rubbed - but when I tried to investigate the nipples further....she objected, so I stopped "bugging" her. They're not huge....but noticeable....big enough for a kitten's mouth, I guess...and pink.

She's currently alternating between sleeping and restlessly wondering the house. She's also not real happy about being shut in the room with me....but she hasn't ever settled on a place elsewhere in the house, either, to have them. As it's now going on 1 am....and hubby is sleeping....I can't really allow her to roam the house, due to her cried waking him up. Cat in labor I can deal with (with help) - cranky hubby is the last thing she and I BOTH need.

shemarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, StarryEyedTiger, for the links. Got 'em read, got the supplies gathered...and for now....it's a "quiet phase". Gonna go grab a pillow and blanket for ME and bed down in here for the nite. (Pixie seems to want the company.) Will be staying online and give updates. Thanks, everyone, for the quick responses. Dunno about Pixie....but I am feeling calmer now.

shemarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Three hours later (approximately) - and no kittens.
When I finally laid down on the floor for a catnap of my own, Pix laid right beside me for a bit....then went into her carrier and slept. (Whew.) It's now 4:30 am, and she woke me up with her chirruping...not really meowing....just a low noise she makes. She's back to being in a loving mood, with an occasional ripple. As well as back to "grooming" MY hair. Still not at the "panting, giving birth nnnnoooowwww" stage.

And yes, camera is at the ready.

shemarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok....8:30 am, I wake up....ache-i-ly get up from the floor where I've been sleeping....door's still closed....and no cat!

Hubby apparently let her out at some point this morning. I found her - and no kittens.
Pixie was sleeping on her kitty window-ledge-perch that hubby built for her - and when I woke her up to ask her "what the??" she claimed innocence in all matters. Doesn't know what I'm talking about.

Wonderful. My cat has made a fool out of me! What was this - a test run or something???

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh how frustrating! I wish you the best today and I will definately be thinking about you and pixie.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Since you aren't 100% sure she is pregnant, I would suggest a vet visit to confirm it and if she is not you could schedule her spay.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes they will delay their labor or she could just not be ready to give birth at the moment. (sometimes they go through false labor and real labor won't happen for a few days later). Since you have the camera ready- any way you could snap some pictures of her and her belly?

Since it is morning now- could you possibly take her to the vet for an exam?

shemarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Noon update.
After (both of us) sleeping for the majority of the morning...she's now back to meowing, purring / chirruping, and doing that ripply / vibrating thing again. However, that is the signal that she will tolerate lots of petting, back and belly....so I got a few shots of her belly / nipples. With her medium length fur, not to mention dark color on dark carpeting....shots ain't the best,....but they'll have to do for now.

Am chugging down a couple of cups of coffee....and getting ready to call the vet. Wanna catch her on normal Friday business hours, at least to chat about this nerve-wracking feline of mine.

And yeah....spaying is definitely in Pixie's future. Tis the future of any kittens that may arrive too. Not turning loose of any of them until 4 months, when all the baby shots will be done....and if I can talk the vet into fixing 'em that early. Payback on hubby for bringing home a pregnant cat.

The photos are over on the furbabies sub-thread, under "Pixie's pregnancy bump" - http://thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150165 didn't wanna post 'em here, since there's a special board for us to post photos.

I can feel the gray hairs sprouting. Swear I can.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shemarie

Noon update.
After (both of us) sleeping for the majority of the morning...she's now back to meowing, purring / chirruping, and doing that ripply / vibrating thing again. However, that is the signal that she will tolerate lots of petting, back and belly....so I got a few shots of her belly / nipples. With her medium length fur, not to mention dark color on dark carpeting....shots ain't the best,....but they'll have to do for now.

Am chugging down a couple of cups of coffee....and getting ready to call the vet. Wanna catch her on normal Friday business hours, at least to chat about this nerve-wracking feline of mine.

And yeah....spaying is definitely in Pixie's future. Tis the future of any kittens that may arrive too. Not turning loose of any of them until 4 months, when all the baby shots will be done....and if I can talk the vet into fixing 'em that early. Payback on hubby for bringing home a pregnant cat.

The photos are over on the furbabies sub-thread, under "Pixie's pregnancy bump" - http://thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150165 didn't wanna post 'em here, since there's a special board for us to post photos.

I can feel the gray hairs sprouting. Swear I can.
LOL! Welcome to the wonderful world of kitty mid-wifery!

shemarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE - The vet, bless her heart, said I can bring in Pixie now, if I want to, can bring in Pixie anytime this afternoon while they're open, if I want to, and they'll check her out right away. However, after calming me down, she said it sounds like normal labor progression so far, and that it didn't sound like Pixie was in any undue distress.

Vet also said if she hasn't produced kittens by tomorrow morning, I should then definitely take her to the main clinic (as this office will be closed) to have her evaluated at that time.

So we're back to
and see.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

UPDATE - The vet, bless her heart, said I can bring in Pixie now, if I want to, can bring in Pixie anytime this afternoon while they're open, if I want to, and they'll check her out right away. However, after calming me down, she said it sounds like normal labor progression so far, and that it didn't sound like Pixie was in any undue distress.

Vet also said if she hasn't produced kittens by tomorrow morning, I should then definitely take her to the main clinic (as this office will be closed) to have her evaluated at that time.

So we're back to
and see.
Wonderful!
It's definitely a good idea to take her in to the vet today and let her examine her! While she's there- have them take her temperature so they can tell how close she is to giving birth!

You also want to get her on a very good quality kitten food -it has extra nutrients in it that a pregnant/ soon to be nursing momma will need. Nutro Max Cat Gourmet Classics Kitten http://www.petco.com/product/2504/Nu...cs-Kitten.aspx is one of the best dry kitten formulas out there. I like the roasted chicken variety for my gang!
It's not too expensive eithor and you can find it at most pet stores (petsmart, petco, etc)!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So we're back to
and see.
Thanks for updating us. This is very exciting. I was thinking about you and Pixie last night. I hope she has healthy babies soon.