Labor Day Picnic

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
My sister and BIL are coming over on Monday for a bit of a picnic to celebrate the last summer holiday. We're not doing anything fancy. Rick wants to grill some Delmonico steaks, my sister is bringing a pasta salad, I'm making a seven-layer salad (my sister's most favored salad on earth), and I'll take a quart of crock pot beans out of the freezer. I'm going to make a recipe for Hawaiian yeast rolls. I'm thinking of a chocolate cake with whipped peanut butter frosting for dessert. And I'm thinking of grabbing a case of Smirnoff Ice at the beverage distributor today. (A case of Smirnoff will easily last me months.)

I'm also going to throw together some grilled chicken legs and thighs. Once they're all grilled, I'll let them cool and then wrap them up and toss them in the freezer for meals on busy nights this fall.

What about you? Are you doing anything for Labor Day? A picnic? Family dinner?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Small just us sort of thing, grilled steaks ( the leftovers are going into an award winning chili recipe ;) ) and restaurant copy coleslaw. Dessert will be watermelon granita, and jello, and depending on whether it's acceptable in Phase 1 of South Beach, their espresso custard - there's a diet going on right now lol

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I hadn't planned on doing anything for Labor Day, but that sounds like a good idea. Hubby was just saying he hadn't had steak in a long time. I have a grilled tofu recipe for me. I could make a pasta salad and use some of that zucchini relish I made a couple of weeks ago!

Thanks for the idea. :thumbsup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
betsygee betsygee You are welcome! That relish is so good and works with pretty much everything. Your salad looks delicious!