La Dama Gris

bethpush

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I'm not exactly new to this site, but this is the first time I've introduced a cat here. We have a huge feral cat problem in all the surrounding cities near where I live and feral cats pass through my family farm all the time. I do what I can to spay/ neuter them, but there is only so much one person can do.

This spring I think we've only managed to have one litter of kittens born, which is a record I'm very proud of. I haven't seen any others and I think all but one female hanging around is finally spayed.

The only female I didn't get to in time is one I've named La Dama Gris. She's a gray and white beauty with a wonderful temperament. When I finally caught her and brought her inside she was very shy. I took my time, though and she's now comfortable with my husband, two kids, and me.

Of course I wasn't certain exactly when she was due, but I kept a close eye on her and assumed she was getting close when I started seeing the kittens move.

I've been around for other cats giving birth, two mama's hid, and one decided to have her kittens in the middle of the floor so I could watch. I figured that was the best experience ever, that she trusted me enough to go into labor right there with me watching.

Last Thursday about 7pm Dama wouldn't leave me alone, she was all over me and I just put up with it and kept scratching her. Then I started to realize she wasn't just a little needy, she was moving her body weird and pressing into me with her head. I was laying on my couch and she was on my chest. Then she got on all fours, still hunkered down on me, tail lifted, and I realised she was in labor.

This previously feral cat had come to me for comfort while in active labor! Within a moment I had a little mucus on my arm and I had my daughter get a towel, she stayed next to me for the next two and a half hours while she have birth to five kittens! I couldn't believe the trust that showed, I've never felt so honored in my life!

20180608_012712.jpg
I've set her up with a large plastic drawer and a towel partially tucked under a couch. She seems happy there. It's been a week and she hasn't tried to move them.

20180609_195434.jpg
This is the first born, I think this one is a girl.

20180609_195450.jpg
This is the second born and I think a boy.

20180609_195410.jpg
Third kitten, maybe a girl.

20180609_195349.jpg
Fourth kitten, possibly a boy.

20180609_195423.jpg
And the fifth and I think a little girl.

I think when they're weaned and after I find homes for them I might actually just keep the mom. I don't know if I could ever part with her after this experience. I feel closer to her than any cat I've ever cared for before.

20180614_184158.jpg
I just had to share my experience with this gorgeous creature. And before anyone says anything about spaying her, she's already scheduled. My vet and I talked about the best time to do it while also nursing. She's taken to indoor life very well and I think she'll be able to remain a happy indoor love muffin.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
After reading about your midwife assistance to La Dama Gris, I can see why you would decide to keep her. She has already chosen you as her "purr-son". :hearthrob:

She's beautiful, as are her kittens. :catlove:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! We’re glad to have you here! La Dama Gris is a lovely cat, and her kittens are very cute as well! Thank you for all the work you do with the ferals in your area. People like you make a huge difference, and are so important to cats, and the cat-loving community.

See you around! :wave3:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you, the beautiful Gray Lady, and her adorable kittens! I can't say how happy I am that La Dama Gris landed in such a soft home and heart when she needed it most!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
What a sweet story! I, too, have a stray female with 4 kittens living with me, who are now about 6-7 weeks old. We didn't know she was pregnant, and discovered the kittens behind storage cabinets in the garage when they were about 3-4 weeks old!