L-lysine

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two cats with what appaears to be feline herpes. They are currently being treated with Terramycin for their eyes. The vet and I have discussed putting them on lysine, however, he does not have a supplier at this time. Is it okay to use liquid human lysine or is it a different product all toghether?

Is there anything else you can suggest to help them get over their eye infections, we are going on 3 months of dealing with it (and 2 vets
)

Any insite and suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get Lysine for my kitties from Krogers, but I buy the pill form and crush it up. Walmart has it too and I've seen it in several drug stores and just little department stores as well.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

I get Lysine for my kitties from Krogers, but I buy the pill form and crush it up.
except i get capsules, & just open them

drjean

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ugh, I just hate that darn herpes virus! So many cats have problems with it! My vet ophthalmologist says that virtually all cats have herpes (and even if they didn't we gave it to them as the rhinotracheitis portion of kitten vaccines). Fortunately not all of them have the recurring flare-ups, but gosh I see a lot of it!

There are actually quite a few things you can do. Lysine is quite effective; the dose during a flare-up is 1000 mg per day; and for maintenance you can use 250 mg per day. Capsules are usually 500 mg; the taste of the powder is slightly salty so most cats don't even notice it. You can get them anywhere; no one brand is better than another that I can tell.

The weirdest treatment that has worked for me and a lot of people is Willard Water. Now you can do a Google search and read their whole website, but if you can figure out what it is, you'll be way ahead of me! Nevertheless it made a big difference for my herpes boy, Sundance.

The most promising treatment I've come across is a homeopathic remedy for humans with herpes. I've tried it in a few cats with excellent success. It's not cheap ($50 for a bottle of 100), but if you dilute a tablet in a 1 ounce dropper bottle and dose from that, it will last you forever. www.aeura.com

Here's some more info about herpesvirus in cats:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...conjunctivitis

kitten_smitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Ferocious doesn't have the eye infections as much as the respiratory sneezing - she gets the mouth ulcers with flare ups. She mostly eats canned food because she doesn't like the dry foods. I think they hurt her mouth or some thing - so I have a Ferociously spoiled cat.

Will the same recommendations work for her?

Is there any thing specifically that can help with her sneezing.

The L-lyine doses are they okay for six month old kitten . . . she weighs six pounds {and growing}

I am new to all of this and I can be kind of "thick" so please pardon my ignorance - isn't it a protein amino acid? So it is supposed to help her build up her immune system or prevent it from breaking down when she is stressed? Ferocious is stressed easily I guess from being feral.

kitten_smitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The weirdest treatment that has worked for me and a lot of people is Willard Water. Now you can do a Google search and read their whole website, but if you can figure out what it is, you'll be way ahead of me! Nevertheless it made a big difference for my herpes boy, Sundance.
CAW Micelle Water 99.3%

Sodium Metasilicate 87.5%
Sulfated Castor Oil 11.5%
CAW Micelle 0.39
Refined Lignite 0.23%
Calcium Chloride 0.4%
Magnesium Sulfate 0.4%

Ricinoleic Acid Micelles in Willard Water

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kitten_Smitten

I am new to all of this and I can be kind of "thick" so please pardon my ignorance - isn't it a protein amino acid? So it is supposed to help her build up her immune system or prevent it from breaking down when she is stressed? Ferocious is stressed easily I guess from being feral.
My understanding is that the L-lysine interferes with the virus ability to replicate? Anyway, it has helped my Stanley get over the sniffles and the mouth sores and I'll up the dosage a little bit if I start to hear him sneeze.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave teh boys their first 500mg dose of L-Lysine this AM before I went to work... NO REDNESS AT ALL!

I can't belive it!!! I've been trying to get this cleared for MONTHS!!!

drjean

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probably not the lysine; herpes comes and goes on its own. Just good timing, I would think! But hey, it's good news anyway!

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat with eye herpes. we still have the cat but there is no more drainage from here eye. That particular eye is darker in color however.

It ran for years regardless of what I tried. She used L-sine for years.

Then in an effort to get all my cats the best possible nutrition, I switched from purina indoor formula to Felidae with a couple raw meals a week.

Their coats improved and the eye drainage is completely gone. Except for the darker color of the eye, you would never know that this eye drained/dripped/ran for years.

Felidae is a great food! They are shiny, and shed vey little. I am not sure if the change of diet has anything to do with her eye clearing up but it is the only thing I changed.