L lysine how much?

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there all, 

hope everyone is well. This a question on behalf of a friend, she has a cat who has had a cold recently and she took him to the vets, he was given antibiotics and is doing a bit better, however he is always a bit snuffly and she is always running to the vets with him, he has had full blood work, stool sample and all is fine.

I remember I posted when I first got Angel and she was a bit snuffly, someone recommended L lysine, I know to get the powder form but how much do they need and do you put it on the food?

thanks in advance.x

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When using the pure powder 1/4 teaspoon is 500 mg, which is the recommended therapeutic daily dose. Yes it can be added right to the food, most cats like it because the only taste it has is salty. It can be given as one dose all at once, or as two doses, half in the morning and half at night.

My Tolly :rbheart: :angel: took L-lysine all his life because he had the herpes virus. I use it for the other cats if someone shows signs of URI, or during times of stress, to boost their immune system. I also take it myself, for the same reasons (stress, or if I am getting a cold)

Hope your friend's kitty is okay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
would it be better to get the 500mg capsules and then she can open them up and half them for a 250mg dose? I have been looking on the net for the best place to get them. x

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When using the pure powder 1/4 teaspoon is 500 mg, which is the recommended therapeutic daily dose. Yes it can be added right to the food, most cats like it because the only taste it has is salty. It can be given as one dose all at once, or as two doses, half in the morning and half at night.
My Tolly
took L-lysine all his life because he had the herpes virus. I use it for the other cats if someone shows signs of URI, or during times of stress, to boost their immune system. I also take it myself, for the same reasons (stress, or if I am getting a cold)
Hope your friend's kitty is okay.
Thank you hun.x

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have thought capsules will be a more expensive way to buy what should be very cheap - capsules are not free.