KRM for sick adult cat - need input

P+P's Meom

What if I don't want to stay calm?
Adult Cat
Purraise
Question:
Our vet has ok'd me giving Patter some KRM with her food for one meal a day, but I'd like input on how to go about it. Can I just add a bit of powder to her food, or does it need to be at least partly reconstituted?
♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡•♡

Details:

Patter is my 7.5yo, 9# tabby girl.
She "threw a clot" at the end of December. Her back legs were totally useless, but she's an awfully determined little girl and she's regained her strength/leg control back.

She has an appointment for an echo-cardiogram at the specialty clinic on the 19th.

She has visibly lost weight in the past 2.5 weeks. Her appetite is down, partly due to her not being as active as she usually is. I'm worried that she's not getting the calories and protein her body really needs in order to heal.

She eats homemade wet food, cooked.
She turns her nose up if I make a batch too "soupy."
She grazes instead of inhaling her entire plate all at once - like her brother does.

She's more tired, but still does her stretches multiple times a day and stalks/kills her stuffed toys. She's still a happy girl.

TIA
:geekcat:

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you mean KMR? Should always be reconstituted, otherwise it’ll be dehydrating. I’d also suggest discussing critical care carnivore with your vet as an alternate option Oxbow Animal Health. It has a more nutritionally complete profile, and I imagine would be more caloric.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

P+P's Meom

Adult Cat
Purraise
Maurey Maurey , oopsie. Yes, KMR. :frustrated:
(You know you're stressed and exhausted when you can't get 3 letters in the right order)

The large, red font below is not aimed at you!
It is to catch the eye of others.

I apologize for
the glaring ommisions! :frustrated:

In re-reading my op, I realize that I neglected to explain that:
1. the KMR is not intended to be her only source of nourishment.

2. It is to be added into her regular diet, one meal a day only.

3. It's also meant to be very short term.

Her vet and I discussed many other options. For many reasons, we agree KMR is the best solution for now.

Back to Maurey Maurey :
Thank you for answering my question regarding reconstituting! The last thing I want to do is cause dehydration on top of everything else.

Thank you for the Oxbow recommendation as well! Hopefully I'll never need it, but it is added to my folder - just in case. When I had house-bunnies, we got our timothy hay and pellets from them. I believe they're a good company.
Best,
P+P's (stressed out) Meom
(pronounced "mom")

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

P+P's Meom

Adult Cat
Purraise

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep powdered KMR on hand. It reconstitutes easily and in my experience, is less likely to cause diarrhea which in itself causes dehydration. Also, the KMR can have unflavored Pedialyte added without diluting the nutrients. Diluting liquid KMR does lessen calories and nutrients, although feeding more often can help adjust for that.

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just follow the directions on the label for convalescing cats. Top dress her food with the powder. You don't need to reconstitute it, but if she likes to drink it, you can. I've used this many, many times. Is it effective? I don't know, but it didn't hurt.