Krista's Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The neurologist also said that the likelihood of it being a brain tumor is lower because of the sudden onset—but not unheard of because of the her suspected small cell lymphoma in her gut. That, having the worst prognosis of the five, helps me feel a bit better. Brain infection is also uncommon. Neurologist said whether it’s ear, stroke, or idiopathic, she could have a partial or even a full recovery with time. Or she may have some permanent loss of ability like maybe she won’t be able to make her jumps or maybe not the larger jumps anymore. She was having trouble jumping onto the bed last night. That was what first tipped me off. And a little bit later, she had issues walking up her Katris to the kitchen counter. But she’s also had a full recovery from a ruptured eardrum before. We’ll wait and see what the tests turn up.

This is one tough cat. That much we all know.
Yes, she is, and she's got the absolute best champion in her corner ;)
Our angel Moti came through a stroke quite well. She held her head at kind of a weird angle for a bit but recovered fully. It was very sudden like that, too.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not stroke. I almost wish it was.

Her inner ear is all full up. They are talking surgery to clean it out because that area does not receive good blood flow for antibiotics.

I’m waiting for a callback from the ear surgeon to discuss this more. But for now, I’ve put her on the schedule for tomorrow and I’m picking her up in a couple of hours to take her home today. I don’t even know if this is a good idea. But I kind of want to spend another day and night with her before the surgery.

I don’t even know if the surgery is a good idea. But it sounds like she’s well past a pill-and-pray strategy with antibiotics. As I haven’t spoken with the surgeon yet, I’m not even sure which surgery they are talking about. But it’s possible she’ll have a long recovery and maybe lasting side effects. But the alternative is an infection that infiltrates the bones in her ear and eventually into her brain. It’s not a wait and see if it gets better kind of thing.

And the cost! The surgery alone will cost what I spent on her entire hospital stay last year. Then there’s the MRI and other costs this morning. It could be five figures before we’re done. There is however a decent chance that insurance might help me out here as this isn’t pre-existing. But if they refuse this claim, I’m done with them. Because that would be a huge stretch to pin this on IBD.

I feel horribly guilty that the fish flake bites I have been preparing for her pred each night may be the cause of this. She used to get “stuffy ears” when I was giving her flakes on the regular. I thought maybe the combination of already taking pred and getting fewer flakes, we might have been avoiding that. Plus I wasn’t seeing any of the head shaking and ear scratching that she used to do. But maybe the pred only masked it. Definitely something to discuss with the surgeon when she calls me. I may have to compound her pred and rethink how we do her meds.

😿 😔

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel selfish wanting to bring her home. She’s probably better off where she is. But I want to spend some time with her. I want to reevaluate her with the new information. And I know she’ll be happy to be with me. Even if I have to revert to our nightly pilling wrestling match for the time being. I’m thinking about getting her pred formulated into a concentrated oil like the chlorambucil. Except duck flavor. I don’t think she has a duck allergy yet.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not stroke. I almost wish it was.

Her inner ear is all full up. They are talking surgery to clean it out because that area does not receive good blood flow for antibiotics.

I’m waiting for a callback from the ear surgeon to discuss this more. But for now, I’ve put her on the schedule for tomorrow and I’m picking her up in a couple of hours to take her home today. I don’t even know if this is a good idea. But I kind of want to spend another day and night with her before the surgery.

I don’t even know if the surgery is a good idea. But it sounds like she’s well past a pill-and-pray strategy with antibiotics. As I haven’t spoken with the surgeon yet, I’m not even sure which surgery they are talking about. But it’s possible she’ll have a long recovery and maybe lasting side effects. But the alternative is an infection that infiltrates the bones in her ear and eventually into her brain. It’s not a wait and see if it gets better kind of thing.

And the cost! The surgery alone will cost what I spent on her entire hospital stay last year. Then there’s the MRI and other costs this morning. It could be five figures before we’re done. There is however a decent chance that insurance might help me out here as this isn’t pre-existing. But if they refuse this claim, I’m done with them. Because that would be a huge stretch to pin this on IBD.

I feel horribly guilty that the fish flake bites I have been preparing for her pred each night may be the cause of this. She used to get “stuffy ears” when I was giving her flakes on the regular. I thought maybe the combination of already taking pred and getting fewer flakes, we might have been avoiding that. Plus I wasn’t seeing any of the head shaking and ear scratching that she used to do. But maybe the pred only masked it. Definitely something to discuss with the surgeon when she calls me. I may have to compound her pred and rethink how we do her meds.

😿 😔
Always best not to imagine scenarios that add to stress and anxiety. That said, we all do it, of course, and all the more so when our loved ones are involved. *ALL THE BEST* and *heartfelt PRAYERS* for Krista and for you, too. Her care team, as well. Hoping the insurance will help to a huge degree or else, truly, why have it? And yeah, it makes sense for you and for her to bring her home. I'm sure both of your stress levels are lower because of it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not convinced that she’s better off or it’s less stressful coming home only to go back again in the morning. If I left her, they could pill her tonight. And fast her. If she comes home, it’s going to be stressful and heartbreaking to watch her wobble and stumble and have to pill her and fast her and bring her back again.

I guess I can always bring her back tonight if it becomes apparent that she is better off in their hands tonight.

And they are swamped right now. Such a madhouse in the parking lot. The parking lot is basically admissions now because they’re not letting anyone except staff into the main building. I suppose that’s the new normal now. But I hate it!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not convinced that she’s better off or it’s less stressful coming home only to go back again in the morning. If I left her, they could pill her tonight. And fast her. If she comes home, it’s going to be stressful and heartbreaking to watch her wobble and stumble and have to pill her and fast her and bring her back again.

I guess I can always bring her back tonight if it becomes apparent that she is better off in their hands tonight.

And they are swamped right now. Such a madhouse in the parking lot. The parking lot is basically admissions now because they’re not letting anyone except staff into the main building. I suppose that’s the new normal now. But I hate it!
Yeah, I hear you there. On both counts. But I think being with you is important for her. She knows how devoted you are to her.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that I have brought her home, I think it was good for me to see just how bad she got since last night when I brought her in. Maybe some of it is still sedation from the MRI. But she is very wobbly, unsteady, and well, "neurologic." She's got balance issues and her eyes are darting (nystagmus). Also she has trouble keeping her head level. Her head, for lack of a better description, swims--like a boat on rough waters. At the same time, she's stubborn and determined. She was a mess coming up and going down. But she traversed the Katris to the kitchen counter and ate very well when she decided the portion I served on the floor for her was not enough. She even tried to descend into the sink to see if she could eat leftover food that I had in there but hadn't cleaned up yet. It's going to be a full-time job keeping this one out of trouble. Even getting up onto the bed is a struggle for her. I'm going to have to look for pet ramps tomorrow after I've dropped her off. Though I'm sure she's going to insist on her usual routes

I'm still waiting for the surgeon to call me so I can discuss what the surgery actually entails and what the risks are.

She was very feisty earlier when I tried to get the IV bandage off her. I hate those self-adhesive wraps. They tighten when you try to pull them off and she gives hisses, growls, and swipes. I managed to use scissors to get most of it cut off her before she was far too angry to let me proceed. So I threw a shirt over her head and cut the last little piece off.

I'm trying to upload videos but getting unsupported media errors.

I've also asked her regular vet to call in a prescription for the concentrated oral oil suspension of the pred in duck flavor. I have to get the fish flakes out of her diet again.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that I have brought her home, I think it was good for me to see just how bad she got since last night when I brought her in. Maybe some of it is still sedation from the MRI. But she is very wobbly, unsteady, and well, "neurologic." She's got balance issues and her eyes are darting (nystagmus). Also she has trouble keeping her head level. Her head, for lack of a better description, swims--like a boat on rough waters. At the same time, she's stubborn and determined. She was a mess coming up and going down. But she traversed the Katris to the kitchen counter and ate very well when she decided the portion I served on the floor for her was not enough. She even tried to descend into the sink to see if she could eat leftover food that I had in there but hadn't cleaned up yet. It's going to be a full-time job keeping this one out of trouble. Even getting up onto the bed is a struggle for her. I'm going to have to look for pet ramps tomorrow after I've dropped her off. Though I'm sure she's going to insist on her usual routes

I'm still waiting for the surgeon to call me so I can discuss what the surgery actually entails and what the risks are.

She was very feisty earlier when I tried to get the IV bandage off her. I hate those self-adhesive wraps. They tighten when you try to pull them off and she gives hisses, growls, and swipes. I managed to use scissors to get most of it cut off her before she was far too angry to let me proceed. So I threw a shirt over her head and cut the last little piece off.

I'm trying to upload videos but getting unsupported media errors.

I've also asked her regular vet to call in a prescription for the concentrated oral oil suspension of the pred in duck flavor. I have to get the fish flakes out of her diet again.
Oh wow. But it's really, really good that she's seeking food.
I use a one-story cat condo for a step up to the platform of the bed, and from there to the bed. It works really well.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow. But it's really, really good that she's seeking food.
I use a one-story cat condo for a step up to the platform of the bed, and from there to the bed. It works really well.
I already have these Katris L pieces and a low profile foundation. It’s convincing Miss Stubborn to use them. I have another one without a water glass on it on the other side. That’s the side she uses to jump up anyway.

7B9025E0-4352-4290-B57D-74845E8FBAA9.jpeg

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I spoke with the surgeon. The surgery is called a Vental Bulla Osteotomy. Basically, she will make an incision below her jaw and enter the middle ear from beneath. She will extract some of the junk off to be sent for culture to know what antibiotics will be needed. She will likely be on antibiotics for a month or two because that's a very difficult area to treat. Not a lot of blood flow there. The rest of the infectious junk will be removed. There's lots of risks and potential for side effects. But overall, most of these resolve with time and the prognosis is much better than leaving it untreated or prescribing the wrong antibiotics because a culture wasn't taken. Since it is inner ear, the other option would be to intentionally puncture her eardrum and go in that way. This would automatically cause a side effect (a ruptured eardrum), and open her ear to further infection. So VBO is the better course here. She'll likely need a cone and there's a chance that she may also need a feeding tube.

I pilled her pred the hard way--lots of wrestling--and she still hasn't touched her plated first dinner. I hope she eats something more before midnight. I emailed her regular vet and asked for a prescription for the oral oil suspension of pred in duck flavor. She will not be getting fish flakes on the regular anymore. The surgeon did indicate that, it's hard to know for sure, but there is a chance that this was an allergic reaction to those fish flakes. And there's also a chance that her poop issues were lingering inflammation caused by feeding a suspected irritant (the flakes.) So it's possible that we might kill two birds here by removing the fish.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made her a litter box. It’s low enough that even Miss Weeble Wobble should be able to wobble into without falling down. It’s the box her last Rawz case came packed in. I cut off the flaps, cut a low entrance into it, and wrapped it in a pee pad before filling with litter.
F5303F4E-3353-49A0-A74B-2B1B5FCA1EA3.jpeg
(She still has three others in the back hallway if she wants to be stubborn about it.)

I can get her a dupe of an existing box tomorrow and cut a low side entrance into it. For now, this is better than her deciding the floor is easier than climbing into a box.
She eventually finished first dinner (most of it anyway) and surprisingly, she came down to dig into second dinner in a timely fashion. She’s about halfway through it. She may finish it by the time I have to pull it up at midnight. 🤞

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s adapting well. I mean she’s still struggling with balance. But she’s getting around. She’s done a few laps around the bed and across my chest. And she sat on my chest for a belly ride. 😻 She also gave me lots of kisses. 😽 She used to do that all the time. I have to wonder if there’s a correlation between the flakes and perhaps something in her mouth (inflammation?) that discouraged her licking all this time. I don’t buy it that she’s just hungry. She’s always hungry! I have transdermal pred we can use until the new oral oil suspension arrives. It may not be as reliable as a pill. But it will be easier to give. Especially if she comes home with a cone.

I wish I could feed her. I hate fasting her before vet appointments. Or fasting her at all.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And she used the new litterbox sometime while I was sleeping. For a pee anyway. I think she’s reserving her poop for the vet’s office. “I do my business so you know I mean business!” 😾 That’s probably why she’ll sit in her cage for most of the morning until the surgeon does the surgery in the afternoon.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh it was breaking my heart to read your post about her emergency vet visit and neurologic/hypoglycemic symptoms.... I really am wishing you and Krista all best!! Krista, you tough chicka, you hang in there girl! :vibes::hearthrob:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She had a great 💩 just before we left. It was several manageable pieces rather than one big poop leg. And no bonuses or distress.

I’m really starting to think that her poop struggles this whole time has been unresolved inflammation in her gut caused by the fish flakes. 😿

She was so adorably loving this morning. She sat on my chest several times and kept licking me like old times. She hasn’t licked me like that in a very long time. I was thinking that was just a side effect of all the dental work she had done. Who knows? I’ll take it and thank her for every one.

I’m not so worried about her surgery now as the antibiotics I’ll have to give her for a month or two. We’d better find a compounding formulation she’s happy with. Because she does not take pills well. And I lost my best ally, the fish flakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.