Krista's Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a more discreet way to include poop pics.

Poop in the soup. And good color too. Odor wasn’t even so offensive. I think the Optagest is working. She’s sleeping this off under the bookcase and will probably come back for the remainder of first breakfast.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, water receptacles do get messy. I have four at all times -- one very large bowl, two smaller bowls and the filtered one. The filtered one gets disassembled and washed weekly; the other three, as needed. The one in Baby Su's room needs daily washing as it does collect Greenie dust and stuff like that. All three of my cats drink water, so I must be doing something right. And they have 3 meals daily of high-quality wet food, plus free-choice high-quality dry, and daily treats.
Sounds like Krista is doing well today! :yess:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, what do you think about this, since as tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 mentioned, once a week washing is on the low side of frequency for a relatively small container that gets food bits and cat drool in it...

What if you pick up another couple same-sized Mason jars for her so that you can switch them out more frequently. If you aren't already, wash them with the original dawn dishwashing liquid (fragrance free if you can find it, that's used by oil spill rescuers to wash oil off of animals), or maybe Seventh Generation dish soap. In any case, whichever washing soap/method you use, rinse her dishes/jars really well before using them for her.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, what do you think about this, since as tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 mentioned, once a week washing is on the low side of frequency for a relatively small container that gets food bits and cat drool in it...

What if you pick up another couple same-sized Mason jars for her so that you can switch them out more frequently. If you aren't already, wash them with the original dawn dishwashing liquid (fragrance free if you can find it, that's used by oil spill rescuers to wash oil off of animals), or maybe Seventh Generation dish soap. In any case, whichever washing soap/method you use, rinse her dishes/jars really well before using them for her.
Yes to all of that. I already have duplicates of the fountain she never uses so that I could easily swap in a clean one and clean the dirty on my own time. I have duplicates of her litterboxes for the same reason. And I have a mess (some quantity less than a full case) of those jars already. Sometimes I’m a little slow (or sleep-deprived and too deep in the trenches) to copy and paste a strategy that already works well for me. I will pick up a case of spring water for her as well so that doesn’t hold me back either. I don’t mind topping her off with the tap filtered through Brita. But when I change out the whole jar, I’d like to give her something fresh from a bottle. So spoiled and so wasteful considering she never drinks more than the top inch or two. 🤦🏼‍♂️But if it keeps my Queen happy and healthy... 😻

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, water receptacles do get messy. I have four at all times -- one very large bowl, two smaller bowls and the filtered one. The filtered one gets disassembled and washed weekly; the other three, as needed. The one in Baby Su's room needs daily washing as it does collect Greenie dust and stuff like that. All three of my cats drink water, so I must be doing something right. And they have 3 meals daily of high-quality wet food, plus free-choice high-quality dry, and daily treats.
Sounds like Krista is doing well today! :yess:
Krista eats around 8 oz of wet a day. No dry. The canned is 78% moisture. Let’s assume the raw is comparable for simplicity’s sake. She’s taking in 6 oz of moisture a day. That would explain why I never see her drink. She’s never had to. Until the steroids. She’s still concentrating her urine just fine. Four or so larger balls of urine than before steroids but nothing too large or too frequent there. Thankfully!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista eats around 8 oz of wet a day. No dry. The canned is 78% moisture. Let’s assume the raw is comparable for simplicity’s sake. She’s taking in 6 oz of moisture a day. That would explain why I never see her drink. She’s never had to. Until the steroids. She’s still concentrating her urine just fine. Four or so larger balls of urine than before steroids but nothing too large or too frequent there. Thankfully!
"Experts" say cats "go" on average of 5x a day. Older cats probably "go" more. And "experts" say that cats' need for water isn't high, since, as desert animals, they historically derived most of their moisture from their prey. Our providing them extra water is probably fairly unnecessary, therefore, especially with a high-quality diet of wet and raw. But I always err on the side of plenty, especially since I see each of my cats drinking from the water bowls, daily, and they seem to enjoy it. As with humans, it sure can't hurt, right? ;)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just searched all the online resellers for more Rawz rabbit and everyone is now out. There's none left to be had. I sent a very pointed email to Rawz about this. "In two weeks, my IBD (possible lymphoma) cat will run out of food with none left to be found anywhere! Your supply issues are making her disease recovery process extremely challenging!"

As long as we're making progress on her poops, I'll keep the current protocol for at least another week. But the week following, I will have to transition her to whatever her interim diet will be until Rawz figures their 💩 out. Or I can try to extend the life of what I have left by giving her some of the Rawz and pumpkin pate.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm paying a 70% markup to order a case each of the 5.5 oz and 3 oz from their only authorized online reseller in Canada. I expect to receive an apology email sometime next week expressing regret that their stock does not match their website. 🤦‍♂️

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I posted a thread and someone found me a San Francisco store that has the Rawz rabbit. They may be the only ones in California. I don’t want to drive to SF on the weekend. But I don’t want to be without her food making an uncomfortable transition to something else. So. Up to the city I go. This should be a three hour errand. 😔

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure which I enjoy less: the drive to the city, driving in the city, parking in the city, or the drive home. We have some challenging roads and drivers to put it mildly.

But I picked up 24 more cans of the 5.5 oz. Probably 24 of the last 30 cans in the state. I left six behind for someone else.

I hope my Canada order is filled too. Even with the markup, I’d rather have too much food than not enough.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure which I enjoy less: the drive to the city, driving in the city, parking in the city, or the drive home. We have some challenging roads and drivers to put it mildly.

But I picked up 24 more cans of the 5.5 oz. Probably 24 of the last 30 cans in the state. I left six behind for someone else.

I hope my Canada order is filled too. Even with the markup, I’d rather have too much food than not enough.
*ABSOLUTELY!!!*

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Somewhere between 11 and 1 today, we had some butt pee that she buried. It smelled awful. I hope the Chlorambucil or optagest can do something about those.

She tore through her raw portion and yeasty pred bites tonight like I haven’t fed her in days. 😻

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s a quarter to seven and I’m already on the bed in sleep clothes. I wouldn’t mind catching an hour of sleep before the next dinner at 8:30. And the next dinner at 11. And maybe two hours of sleep between the midnight meal and the 3am litterbox. And it starts all over again with first breakfast at 5am. I sleep in sprints and take it when I can get it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight’s 11 pm poop had it all. A little bit of solid poop, a little pudding, and a puddle of smelly butt pee. One box. No spillage or carpet bombs. A little bit of wall spray that came up easily enough.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After last night’s “something of everything” poop, I’m sure we were both relieved to go back to mostly poop in pudding this morning. The color and odor were acceptable.

I decided not to weigh her this morning. I figure there’s only one way that number is going until the poops are solid again. I don’t want to put either of us through that stress until then.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After last night’s “something of everything” poop, I’m sure we were both relieved to go back to mostly poop in pudding this morning. The color and odor were acceptable.

I decided not to weigh her this morning. I figure there’s only one way that number is going until the poops are solid again. I don’t want to put either of us through that stress until then.
*I like the way you think!* No need to add unnecessary stress, I agree! ;) :yess: :goodluck::cheerleader:

Status
Not open for further replies.