Krista's Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
9:30 pm poop was flatulence and pudding and that's about all I can say about it. She took the time to bury it. One box. No walls, pads, or carpets were harmed.

After yesterday's double-ended blowout, I started adding a "pinch" (1 pinch = 1/16 tsp) of psyllium per 5.5 oz of her canned food. I think her skinny poop fingers could use a little bulking while also absorbing excess moisture that an inflamed colon might not be doing properly. I'm told it takes a few days for psyllium to do its thing. We'll finish out the week at 1/16 tsp. We can start next week at 1 dash (1 dash = 1/8 tsp) per 5.5 oz if the psyllium is either helping or not hurting. Since my homemade calls for 1 tsp per approximately 20 oz of food, I can probably go as high as 1/4 tsp per 5.5 oz if I need to, if it helps, or if it's not hurting.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
4am poop came earlier than expected. But same can be said about this one as the last one. There was flatulence and it was stinky. But she buried this one too. I think we’re making progress there.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
11am poop was a smaller amount of pudding. No idea if there were any poops in there. Because she buried it again. 👍
I’m cool with that. Still too stinky to not come home over lunch and change it out. Stinky as it may be, it’s nice to come home to it buried in a box instead of blown out onto the floor, walls, carpet. Base Force! Fuzz Lightyear: To infinipoo and beyond!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doh!

I came home to carpet milkshake. 🤦🏼‍♂️😿 A little too watery for pudding. But there was nothing in the box. Usually the first one always makes it to a box. This must have caught her by surprise. Except she chose the spot she always does. With all the dining room given over to her, I don’t understand why she wants to poop next to her food.

I doubled the psyllium (1/8 tsp into 5.5 oz of food.). I’ll give her a couple of days on that. I also want to try digestive enzymes with her again. But I’ll give her a few days on the increased psyllium dose before I make another change.

Besides her carpet bombing, she was batting the heck out of the Cat Dancer while I was cleaning up. She must feel a lot better for getting that out.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This must have caught her by surprise. Except she chose the spot she always does. With all the dining room given over to her, I don’t understand why she wants to poop next to her food.
Maybe it was flatulence caused or increased by eating and that's why she couldn't go further from the food. This also reminded me of the time a classmate back in high school pooped on herself the same way when we were outside at a park, she said she thought it was gas. Happens.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s close to her food but not that close. This is a spot far enough away from her food. That would have been some propulsion system in her poop soup rocket. No, this is a spot that she has chosen before.

6am poop was, I dunno. Stinky pudding? More of the same. She buried it again. She disappeared under the bookcase afterwards. Most of first breakfast remains uneaten. I'm sure she'll come back for it. But we could be in for another carpet bombing. I bet she's starting to feel the psyllium in her food. We're up to about 1/4 tsp a day now.

And here we go, smelly cat has re-emerged from the bookcase. I think she needs to clean her bum and tail. I'm pretty sure she won't let me help her there. But at least she's returned to breakfast.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s close to her food but not that close. This is a spot far enough away from her food. That would have been some propulsion system in her poop soup rocket. No, this is a spot that she has chosen before.

6am poop was, I dunno. Stinky pudding? More of the same. She buried it again. She disappeared under the bookcase afterwards. Most of first breakfast remains uneaten. I'm sure she'll come back for it. But we could be in for another carpet bombing. I bet she's starting to feel the psyllium in her food. We're up to about 1/4 tsp a day now.

And here we go, smelly cat has re-emerged from the bookcase. I think she needs to clean her bum and tail. I'm pretty sure she won't let me help her there. But at least she's returned to breakfast.
Hope the psyllium has the hoped-for effect. I have read that it irritates some systems, so I hope that isn't the case with Krista's!!!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope the psyllium has the hoped-for effect. I have read that it irritates some systems, so I hope that isn't the case with Krista's!!!
It's a stop gap measure. So to speak. It's binding up excess moisture without adding significant bulk like pumpkin. At least that's the hoped-for effect. Last night's carpet milkshake not withstanding, her run of one-box buried pudding is better than the multi-box sometimes double-ended blowouts we were having last week.

But it still doesn't fix suboptimal digestion. The lighter colored milkshake stool seems to suggest a deficiency in fat digestion. I hear this is common in older cats. I would like to try these Optagest packets of digestive enzymes and inulin. I'm not sure about either to be honest. So I need to be patient and give this new dose of psyllium a few more days. Because if she starts blowing out again, I want to be able to point to one thing or another rather than throwing my hands in the air. Like I have been for months.

I also want to try homemade turkey food with her again now that I know egg is a no-no. Even if I secure a source of affordable rabbit legs, I still couldn't afford to displace much more of her diet than I already am. She's also not crazy about this batch. I think it's too chewy and she didn't appreciate me watering it down this morning. This is expensive food for her to be getting picky about it. Whereas I can do turkey for a lot cheaper.

On the one hand, I should give chemo a chance and not delay any longer. On the other, doesn't food sound like a safer approach? Even if I finally got around to it and called Wedgewood and talked to their pharmacist about my questions and then got the vet to send over the prescription, I'm not likely to get her medicine until late next week. I guess I can make cat food again this weekend and try turkey once more. At worst, we'll have a few blowout days, maybe lose a week. And then we should have chemo to try.

I believe I need to displace more of her canned with raw. I think Rawz is too high fat for her but we're out of commercial options. Everything else has a trigger or something stupid that should be avoided. Like cranberries. I never want to clean up Instinct vomit with cranberries again.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a stop gap measure. So to speak. It's binding up excess moisture without adding significant bulk like pumpkin. At least that's the hoped-for effect. Last night's carpet milkshake not withstanding, her run of one-box buried pudding is better than the multi-box sometimes double-ended blowouts we were having last week.

But it still doesn't fix suboptimal digestion. The lighter colored milkshake stool seems to suggest a deficiency in fat digestion. I hear this is common in older cats. I would like to try these Optagest packets of digestive enzymes and inulin. I'm not sure about either to be honest. So I need to be patient and give this new dose of psyllium a few more days. Because if she starts blowing out again, I want to be able to point to one thing or another rather than throwing my hands in the air. Like I have been for months.

I also want to try homemade turkey food with her again now that I know egg is a no-no. Even if I secure a source of affordable rabbit legs, I still couldn't afford to displace much more of her diet than I already am. She's also not crazy about this batch. I think it's too chewy and she didn't appreciate me watering it down this morning. This is expensive food for her to be getting picky about it. Whereas I can do turkey for a lot cheaper.

On the one hand, I should give chemo a chance and not delay any longer. On the other, doesn't food sound like a safer approach? Even if I finally got around to it and called Wedgewood and talked to their pharmacist about my questions and then got the vet to send over the prescription, I'm not likely to get her medicine until late next week. I guess I can make cat food again this weekend and try turkey once more. At worst, we'll have a few blowout days, maybe lose a week. And then we should have chemo to try.

I believe I need to displace more of her canned with raw. I think Rawz is too high fat for her but we're out of commercial options. Everything else has a trigger or something stupid that should be avoided. Like cranberries. I never want to clean up Instinct vomit with cranberries again.
Yeah, personally, I always go for food over drugs, no matter who the recipient may be. Hoping Krista can tolerate/enjoy turkey. It's a high quality protein.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
11am poop. That’s only 5 hours from the last poop. 🤦🏼‍♂️

I managed to see some of it on the camera and it was not solid. But the cloud recording, had I just let the camera do what I set it up to do, I only ever get the last few seconds.

I get the “scratch scratch, that’s good enough.”

My apartment is marinating in that stink right now and it’s too early to break away for lunch. 😔

https://thecatsite.com/media/too-stinky-to-bury.423358/

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poop fish!

(Pictures below rather than inline.)

It wasn’t as terrible as I thought it would be. Maybe the psyllium is doing its thing.

She looks a little off today though. If the psyllium is doing its thing, she may be feeling fuller or even bloated. That’s why I’ll give it a few days for her to get used to it.

Attachments

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poop fish!

(Pictures below rather than inline.)

It wasn’t as terrible as I thought it would be. Maybe the psyllium is doing its thing.

She looks a little off today though. If the psyllium is doing its thing, she may be feeling fuller or even bloated. That’s why I’ll give it a few days for her to get used to it.
Umm, *PURRformance art*???:fish:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found over a pound of turkey thigh meat from the last batch of turkey thighs I processed. I have hearts and liver. I'm making turkey cat food this weekend without egg yolk.

I don't know why I make things so hard for myself like putting off phone calls for so long. I learned that Wedgewood customer service opens at 8AM EST or 5AM Pacific. Hey! I'm up at 5AM. I will finally make the call and get all my questions answered before work stuff starts to drag my day down.

I realized that I still have hang-ups about putting my cat on chemo. I read the IBDKitties page on it and I'm ready. She needs this! Like yesterday!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Solid poop! Not her raw perfect of old but still a scoop and flush. I don’t remember the last time cleanup was that easy.

I don’t know that I trust it. We may still have a blowout later.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had an extremely watery poop, like butt pee, I rounded her up into poop jail. She put another bit of soupy stuff in a second box. Then tried for the hat trick and only managed a weak brown ketchup squirt. I cleaned up all three boxes quickly enough. These weren’t the massive blowouts she was having even last week. When her pooper ran dry and the cleanup was finished, I released her to gen pop (general population.). Oh there was butt scooting and she tried to bomb the carpet. But she was dry. And for a tense moment, there may have been a poop puke on her lips.

A smelly cat belly ride tells me we made it through this round.
🤦🏼‍♂️😻

Status
Not open for further replies.