Krista's Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent! I found a place locally that I can special order rabbit legs for $18/lbs. That compares very favorably with Fossil Farms without doubling the price due to shipping. I will still make one more batch with whole fryers this weekend because I have just 7 days left on the current batch at 1 oz per day. If I am giving her more raw per day to see if that will help her, then I will obviously run out before next weekend. So I guess I'm making cat food again this weekend. 😻

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must have fallen asleep after her second dinner waiting for her expected 8 pm poop. To be honest, I don't remember if I fed her second dinner. I'm pretty sure I did. I have to get back to keeping score in her food journal again. Around 10:30, I wake up to her sitting on my chest singing the song of her people.
:dancingblackcat:

"Is it time for another meal? Oh! You pooped!" 🙊

There was some poop in her voluminous soup. Long skinny fingers in a lake of pudding. One box. No bonuses. No pee pads, walls, or carpets were harmed in her slightly later than expected evening release. I was expecting it at 8 pm and it must have come just before she woke me. Hopefully she did her bum cleaning before she planted it on my chest.

"Alright, boo. No cat of mine should have her own bum as the last taste in her mouth before bedtime."

She got another yeasty bite with this meal and the feeders are out for the overnight.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I miscalculated the times for the feeders and they both opened by 2:30am. She was sitting on the pillow next to me looking into my eyes and taking her scritches. When the second feeder *pop*ed open, she flew across the bed and down to the feeder.

Then after a short while, she went to the box and had a watery blowout. One box. Pads and walls spared. We weren’t expecting that one. But it cleaned up as well as the earlier one. Since it does represent an increase in frequency (wasn’t expecting the next one until 5 to 7 am), she got another yeasty bite and a couple more grams of raw. She drank some water from her mason jar and now she’s fast asleep again. I wish I could fall back asleep so quickly.

I set out another feeder to open at 3:30. I probably should have made it 4 as I’m going to still be awake in 20 minutes when it opens. 🤦🏼‍♂️

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
🐈🧐
Where’s the poop?

9 hours from 3 am should have been a noon poop. Now 3 am was a bonus after her regular scheduled 10 pm poop. Any way I consider this. She’s running a little behind. So to speak. 😹

I got the fryer rabbits last night. I processed them this morning/afternoon. I‘m getting good at this. It took me less than 10 min per rabbit to take the organs and legs and pack the rest of the rabbit back into the freezer for beer money. Each leg took about 8 or 9 minutes because I was trying to cut away as much fat as I could. I think I could probably get that down to five minutes with practice and if I watched a video on the proper way to debone a hind leg. Start to finish, it probably took me two hours including clean up. Tomorrow I will grind the frozen meat and organs and make her new batch of food.

And yes. Krista got sashimi treats throughout the process. So much! Probably a half ounce all together. That’s like an extra raw portion for her today. Good luck to us both in the box later. 🤞💩💩

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had an honest to goodness solid poop!

But it wasn’t enough. It was the calm before the storm.

Next came the blowout. Not terribly surprising. More of the same really.

Finally, she was straining on some chocolate chips. That pushed her over.

She had her first poop puke since we switched to the new batch of homemade raw. It’s likely a combination of the sashimi today and just getting 50% more raw in general today than she usually does.

It was the first time she's regurgitated after taking her pill. Not directly after. But close enough that it was her raw reward that came back up. I got down there with a flashlight and gloves picking through her regurgitated raw trying to see if I could find what was left of each half of the pred. I figured if I found two largely undigested halves, I would pill her again tonight. But I maybe found only the smallest white crumb. So maybe she regurgitated with raw reward. Or maybe she actually retains some/most of it in her stomach and beyond after it dissolved. In either case, I won't be pilling her again tonight because there's no way of knowing how much she retained.

We will definitely take it easier tomorrow. After all, she needs to save some room to taste test the new batch fresh out of the mixing bowl.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There were some poops in her pudding again. And then she had a watery squirt on the carpet. But no poop pukes. I think I will be adding psyllium to her next rabbit batch.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I defrosted the frozen meat too much trying to get chunks to put in the grinder. I ended up with a lot of pink slime. I even had to go to last month’s remainder to get a full lbs grind. I think I’m about ready to upgrade to an electric grinder.

Krista still approved of the final product. So awesome! Because of all the batches I’ve made, this is the most complete. I’ve left out B vitamins or fish oil trying to limit rejection as I build up the recipe batch by batch. But now that she’ll eat a batch with half a B50 (which smells like feet), it was an easy add to finish up my recipe with 1000 mg fish oil. I even added the 1 tsp psyllium. She made her test portions disappear. Then she laid at the edge of the kitchen the rest of the time waiting to see if I would sneak another portion her way. She got the first and last spoonfuls.

I will stage in the new batch this week as I use up the last batch.

And now I’m enjoying a beer on my beertender’s dime. Rabbit for beer. That brings the price down. 👍

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
“I want to heat up my dinner. But I’m waiting on you. I want to see if you’ll poop or not.”

“Poop or not? Poopernaut! Base Force!”

“I think you missed your calling, Fuzz Aldrin.”
😹😹😹

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poop came at 9:30. And when I say poop, it was pretty damn close to poop. It was still forceful pudding. Base Force! 😹 But there was a lot less of it. Like it could be closer to poop than not. One box. No bonus. No poop pukes. Walls, pads, and carpets all made it through unscathed. 👍

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's good to see what last poop was like in the post above to put this afternoon's double-ended blowout into perspective. I came home for lunch. Literally, as I was checking the boxes, she decided it would be a good idea to use one.

"Oh excuse me, Krista. Don't mind me. Is it okay if I stand up first? Maybe take a couple steps out of the spray zone?"

We had a solid poop. Then we had forceful pudding. That was one box. Clean up was a snap and I was getting ready to run it down to the dumpster. My unsettled poopernaut planted her milkshake flag on the carpet. Then in the middle of unfruitful attempt number three, that's when she had another poop puke. I thought we were past these. At least she waited for me to come home for lunch so none of the messes had to sit for several hours.

Let's give her a few more days to adjust to the new batch of raw.

Poor girl. Both her canned and raw are small batch. They seem to be changing just enough from batch to batch. I will call the butcher shop for the rabbit farm tomorrow morning and get a minimum special order in for just hind legs. Hopefully enough for a couple of batches. If she likes it, I'll place a larger order and make bigger batches.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's good to see what last poop was like in the post above to put this afternoon's double-ended blowout into perspective. I came home for lunch. Literally, as I was checking the boxes, she decided it would be a good idea to use one.

"Oh excuse me, Krista. Don't mind me. Is it okay if I stand up first? Maybe take a couple steps out of the spray zone?"

We had a solid poop. Then we had forceful pudding. That was one box. Clean up was a snap and I was getting ready to run it down to the dumpster. My unsettled poopernaut planted her milkshake flag on the carpet. Then in the middle of unfruitful attempt number three, that's when she had another poop puke. I thought we were past these. At least she waited for me to come home for lunch so none of the messes had to sit for several hours.

Let's give her a few more days to adjust to the new batch of raw.

Poor girl. Both her canned and raw are small batch. They seem to be changing just enough from batch to batch. I will call the butcher shop for the rabbit farm tomorrow morning and get a minimum special order in for just hind legs. Hopefully enough for a couple of batches. If she likes it, I'll place a larger order and make bigger batches.
Lost your threads again for a couple of days :sigh:
So it sounds like a mixed bag, so to speak, since Wednesday. I guess one way to look at it is to be thankful for the good ones, yes? Hoping there'll be a long run (NO pun intended!) of good ones with new food. Come on, Krista! You can do(o) it!!!:cheerleader:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forgot to mention this in the morning:

Stable at 6 lbs. But then my own weight had three different numbers. I prefer to think of her as stable at 6 than to chase the 0.2-0.3 lbs margin of error.

She feels like a furry skeleton. I have to be very gentle with where and how I pet her now. This makes me sadder than the poop situation.😿 But she still shows up for belly rides. 😻

I tried to stage in the old raw with the new raw. She’s not as interested in old batch since the new batch. And why should she? New batch is fresher and pinker and has a little bit of fish oil in it too. The new batch is chewier though. I don’t know how much canned I can displace with this/how much she wants to chew through in a meal. She only needs to eat this batch for a couple of weeks before I’ll have to make another one. 🤦🏼‍♂️

I have to call the butcher tomorrow to get a special order on rabbit legs. I hope I can get that filled in two weeks before I have to make another batch. I don’t know what the minimum order will be. But I’d like to start at 8 legs—enough for two batches. And if she approves, we can double that order and make 2 lbs batches that can last a month. Maybe. Or perhaps she’ll just eat more raw and it will all come out in the wash. 😹

I have to call the compounding pharmacy tomorrow to get Krista’s Chlorambucil (chemotherapy.) I need to decide on a format. She only needs to take it twice a week. But we can’t wrestle with it like pred. I will have to wear gloves. She will learn what this means. I hope there is a liquid she will enjoy that doesn’t distress her. I will have questions for the pharmacist.

I think the new batch is more satiating. She’s food coma already and has barely touched the canned portion of her first dinner. She’ll wake up in thirty minutes and make it disappear. I should use this time to cook my own dinner before Fuzz Aldrin’s next moon walk.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 2:45am, a perky Krista shows up on the bed, trillin' like Dylan.
:dancingblackcat:
"I pooped!"

🙊
"Yes, you did. Good girl. Let me clean your box. Then I may know a guy who can help you with that 3am feeder opening early..."

One box blowout. Wall and pad did not escape the blast. But the carpet did! Clean up was easy enough. We are unfortunately "old hat" now at cleaning blowouts from boxes, pads, walls, and carpet.

Her 3am feeder looked like it was going to open any minute. I just gave it a nudge so that rabbit (instead of bum) can be on her breath when she shows up in my face for a belly ride.

The rest of the overnight was uneventful.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forgot to mention this in the morning:

Stable at 6 lbs. But then my own weight had three different numbers. I prefer to think of her as stable at 6 than to chase the 0.2-0.3 lbs margin of error.

She feels like a furry skeleton. I have to be very gentle with where and how I pet her now. This makes me sadder than the poop situation.😿 But she still shows up for belly rides. 😻

I tried to stage in the old raw with the new raw. She’s not as interested in old batch since the new batch. And why should she? New batch is fresher and pinker and has a little bit of fish oil in it too. The new batch is chewier though. I don’t know how much canned I can displace with this/how much she wants to chew through in a meal. She only needs to eat this batch for a couple of weeks before I’ll have to make another one. 🤦🏼‍♂️

I have to call the butcher tomorrow to get a special order on rabbit legs. I hope I can get that filled in two weeks before I have to make another batch. I don’t know what the minimum order will be. But I’d like to start at 8 legs—enough for two batches. And if she approves, we can double that order and make 2 lbs batches that can last a month. Maybe. Or perhaps she’ll just eat more raw and it will all come out in the wash. 😹

I have to call the compounding pharmacy tomorrow to get Krista’s Chlorambucil (chemotherapy.) I need to decide on a format. She only needs to take it twice a week. But we can’t wrestle with it like pred. I will have to wear gloves. She will learn what this means. I hope there is a liquid she will enjoy that doesn’t distress her. I will have questions for the pharmacist.

I think the new batch is more satiating. She’s food coma already and has barely touched the canned portion of her first dinner. She’ll wake up in thirty minutes and make it disappear. I should use this time to cook my own dinner before Fuzz Aldrin’s next moon walk.
Is it a compounding pharmacy? It's ridiculous that so many veterinary medicines are actually pediatric and flavored with human kids in mind (though I can't imagine any kid liking the fake "cherry" flavor used in some of the antibiotics!) when companion animal health is a multi-billion-dollar business and it wouldn't break them to flavor the meds accordingly.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it a compounding pharmacy? It's ridiculous that so many veterinary medicines are actually pediatric and flavored with human kids in mind (though I can't imagine any kid liking the fake "cherry" flavor used in some of the antibiotics!) when companion animal health is a multi-billion-dollar business and it wouldn't break them to flavor the meds accordingly.
I’m looking at Wedgewood which is specifically for animals from horses to cats. Some flavors that might not appeal to cats might still appeal to dogs and horses. I didn’t get a chance to call today. Tomorrow I will call Wedgewood because the one my vet recommended seems to want to tout its own software more than its services and offerings. Very unhelpful website. I’m probably looking at “triple-fish” flavor. I’d like to get it in a 10 mg/mL concentration so that I only need to get 0.2 mL into her. That seems like something reasonable. Especially if I can mix it into a tuna medicine meal. For what it does, it should combat against any allergic reaction she might have to the flavoring or the twice a week fish meal.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m looking at Wedgewood which is specifically for animals from horses to cats. Some flavors that might not appeal to cats might still appeal to dogs and horses. I didn’t get a chance to call today. Tomorrow I will call Wedgewood because the one my vet recommended seems to want to tout its own software more than its services and offerings. Very unhelpful website. I’m probably looking at “triple-fish” flavor. I’d like to get it in a 10 mg/mL concentration so that I only need to get 0.2 mL into her. That seems like something reasonable. Especially if I can mix it into a tuna medicine meal. For what it does, it should combat against any allergic reaction she might have to the flavoring or the twice a week fish meal.
Sounds promising. Krista is allergic to/can't tolerate chicken, right? A lot of the compounding pharmacy products tend to be chicken flavored. Fish sounds good. I've yet to meet a cat who doesn't love fish, especially tuna and salmon.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds promising. Krista is allergic to/can't tolerate chicken, right? A lot of the compounding pharmacy products tend to be chicken flavored. Fish sounds good. I've yet to meet a cat who doesn't love fish, especially tuna and salmon.
Chlorambucil is an immune-suppressing drug. It would basically take the steam out of an allergic reaction.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her noon pudding had a skinny piece of poop in it. One box. No pads or walls were harmed. 👍

I don't understand my Dysons. They are totally mum when my poopernaut ejects her stage 1 liquid fuel rockets. But if I want a steamy shower or I cook something on the stove, they totally lose their minds trying to blow up to 11. Their electric noses need refining! 🙊

Status
Not open for further replies.