Krista's Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ordered another case of 5.5 oz rabbit cans from another retailer. I paid a 50% premium for 3 day shipping. So if they aren't putting me on about inventory they don't have (like I'm suspecting from the other order), then I should get these on Wednesday. That's still conceivably three or four days of soft poops if my food theory holds. But it also could be the year old Proviable that looked/looks a little "off". Most of it looks fine, but there's some of the capsule that either caked or went bad in some other manner. Easy to cut that one and see if it makes a difference. So far, so good.
All the best! and hoping "so good" continues!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
🤮🐈💩💩🤦🏼‍♂️😿

Double-ended blowout this evening suggests that maybe we back up to the 1/4 dose of the milk thistle.

Bissell makes good products. But we’d both be happy if we didn’t need them as much.

Tonight’s pred was a four round wrestling match. 😿😔 I think I was letting her “chew” too much because she ate all the food I smeared it in and spit out the pill. This happened several times. Finally I wrapped it in some rabbit raw and got her to swallow pill and food.

I’m so glad the rabbit has way more appeal than her dislike of the pill.

She ate her raw, her dinner, supervised the multi-machine cleanup task. And now she’s sitting next to me, wondering, as I am, what’s next for the night?

I think I’m going to reheat Indian food in the hopes that it might overpower the poop smell. 🤦🏼‍💩🙊

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
🤮🐈💩💩🤦🏼‍♂️😿

Double-ended blowout this evening suggests that maybe we back up to the 1/4 dose of the milk thistle.

Bissell makes good products. But we’d both be happy if we didn’t need them as much.

Tonight’s pred was a four round wrestling match. 😿😔 I think I was letting her “chew” too much because she ate all the food I smeared it in and spit out the pill. This happened several times. Finally I wrapped it in some rabbit raw and got her to swallow pill and food.

I’m so glad the rabbit has way more appeal than her dislike of the pill.

She ate her raw, her dinner, supervised the multi-machine cleanup task. And now she’s sitting next to me, wondering, as I am, what’s next for the night?

I think I’m going to reheat Indian food in the hopes that it might overpower the poop smell. 🤦🏼‍💩🙊
Yes, the masala is the most wonderful for more than one reason! It is so fragrant and good!
Awww, poor Krista. She wants this problem to be solved, too, we know. And yes, Bissell does make good products but I'm very glad to open my linen closet and see my SpotBot sitting there for a long time.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the masala is the most wonderful for more than one reason! It is so fragrant and good!
Awww, poor Krista. She wants this problem to be solved, too, we know. And yes, Bissell does make good products but I'm very glad to open my linen closet and see my SpotBot sitting there for a long time.
I actually haven't found a regular home for the Spot Bot yet. It rests on top of the cardboard insert from its original packaging (so the wet surfaces don't touch the floor) in the home office. It seems I'm pulling it out once or twice a week. Last night required the upright which can make shorter work of the task, but also leaves the carpet much wetter for much longer. I used pee pads, a towel, and a fan to speed up the drying. It's just a touch damp this morning. Not enough for either of us to mind it much.

She's something of a restless, adorable, ball of attempting-to-sleep cat. I don't know that she's sleeping well on pred. But she's certainly trying.

I remember I took steroids once (don't remember which) for a stubborn chest cold. I remember feeling speedy and wired.

No further poop since last night. I backed off to slightly less than 1/4 dose of her milk thistle just to see if that would make a difference. I guess we'll find out sometime later today.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually haven't found a regular home for the Spot Bot yet. It rests on top of the cardboard insert from its original packaging (so the wet surfaces don't touch the floor) in the home office. It seems I'm pulling it out once or twice a week. Last night required the upright which can make shorter work of the task, but also leaves the carpet much wetter for much longer. I used pee pads, a towel, and a fan to speed up the drying. It's just a touch damp this morning. Not enough for either of us to mind it much.

She's something of a restless, adorable, ball of attempting-to-sleep cat. I don't know that she's sleeping well on pred. But she's certainly trying.

I remember I took steroids once (don't remember which) for a stubborn chest cold. I remember feeling speedy and wired.

No further poop since last night. I backed off to slightly less than 1/4 dose of her milk thistle just to see if that would make a difference. I guess we'll find out sometime later today.
Yeah, steroids (and antibiotics) are nasty. They make me jangly, but I'm already hyper all the time. I avoid all drugs like the plague they are, except for aspirin for the occasional headache.
I have our SpotBot on a cardboard piece, too, in the linen closet. It's really handy when needed and there's just enough space for it on the floor. I have the various cleaning solutions on a shelf above in the same closet. It has paid for itself many times over, over the years we've had it. And yeah, this one is not too bad on the carpet being wet. It's really useful!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, steroids (and antibiotics) are nasty. They make me jangly, but I'm already hyper all the time. I avoid all drugs like the plague they are, except for aspirin for the occasional headache.
I have our SpotBot on a cardboard piece, too, in the linen closet. It's really handy when needed and there's just enough space for it on the floor. I have the various cleaning solutions on a shelf above in the same closet. It has paid for itself many times over, over the years we've had it. And yeah, this one is not too bad on the carpet being wet. It's really useful!
We just pooped in tandem. She has no shame. Hers was better. 🤦🏼‍♂️😹 She didn’t have Indian last night.

We have re-achieved poop stability. For now... 🤞

I’ll watch another episode of TNG while she figures out if there’s anything bonus coming.

She look a touch rough after lunch and poop.
854DBCA6-B82B-42C7-A904-B4F2714822DA.jpeg

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh!

Her food is changing slightly as we prepare for running out of the 5.5 oz cans. Rather than mixing half a 5.5 oz can with a 3 oz can, I am mixing 1/3 can with the 3 oz. I am attempting to compensate by going to the 5.5 oz rabbit and pumpkin cans that I can now get. One of the local stores started carrying these since they can’t get the rabbit only pate at the moment.

If my theory is right that the difference in texture is a difference in fat content, we could be in for a rough week until either she gets used to the new mix or we can finally get the big cans from the East Coast.

That may be why she looks a little rough right now. 😿

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No puddles or piles. 👍

The pred couldn’t have gone any smoother tonight. First try and I calmed her into a swallow before she could get her “cut that out” paw up. 😻

She’s toothless. Not clawless. 🤺🦞🦀

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that’s 3 litterboxes (two near and one in the enclosure) for one cat. It gives her options when she’s having multiple box blowouts.

She managed to keep it together for the rest of the night. No further puddles or piles aside from the soft serve (and a butt scoot on the carpet.) No poop pukes. 👍 The pill stayed down.

She was hungry and bossy and pushy most of the night.

I’m suspending the milk thistle for a day or three. I want to see if we can re-achieve poop stability with her changing food. I will be running out of the 5.5 oz cans today.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her 9am poop was perfect. Big. But perfect. I wonder why the morning poops are good and the evening ones tend toward blowouts. Maybe it's the small raw portion. Maybe I should give her a morning raw portion too. Let's see if we can get some consistency out of her canned food composition first before adding another variable.

She looks more relaxed this morning than she did last so maybe she's already getting used to the new composition.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder why the morning poops are good and the evening ones tend toward blowouts
Consider stress and/or flatulence cramps. My own digestive system also gets triggered by emotions a lot but of course usually no problem in the mornings asI’m just starting the day.

And flatulence cramps lead to abdominal squeezing.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 319445
Waited her and her soft serve out in poop jail. I know her tells. 🧐

She’s still not settled though. This night can still go (further) sideways.
View attachment 319446
Hey, having a lot of box choices can't be bad! There were 9 in the furmily when we moved here, but over the years, there are only 3 now. We still have 5 boxes to choose from, in 4 different rooms. Two of the boxes are gigantic, too. I definitely believe that everyone, of every species, needs safety, comfort and choice when it comes to, uh, matters of hygiene.
IMG_1432.JPG
IMG_1406.JPG
IMG_1414.JPG

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista has those three. Deployed. She has duplicates of each in waiting. I can fill a dupe and empty the dirty when it’s time to “clean” her boxes.

Because of her arthritis, they are all low and easy for her to climb into and out of.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s been two hours since her last meal. I don’t know if she wants to wait until the 2 pm feeder opens.
D015C699-2EC4-4405-A143-073614CF6647.jpeg

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She was contently purring away on my belly as we’re both waiting for the first feeder to open.

*pop*

You never saw this cat spring off me and run to the feeder so quickly!
:runningcat:
image.jpg

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night's pred couldn't have gone any smoother.

Tonight's, after multiple rounds of wrestling, it just wasn't happening. I ultimately crushed the pill and mixed it into her homemade raw rabbit portion. We'll see if she keeps it down like this. I still prefer to pill her so she doesn't have to taste it. But if she'll take it crushed in her homemade portion, then that may be how we do it until we're ready to transition to a transdermal dose.

This may not stay down tonight. 😿
0B2F0641-5D82-4DFF-8DE4-9A024E684274.jpeg

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"I'm baiting your pooper. I'm cooking a burrito."

Sure enough, as soon as I got a couple bites into it, she begins her dinner poop.

First, the good poop. Larger than breakfast, in more segments, but still formed. She looked so relaxed afterward, laying by her food on her belly, in sphinx posture.

"Well, if you're done pooping, let me get you a spoonful of food. No cat of mine should have her own bum as the last taste in her mouth."

She ate the spoonful. I guess that was the trigger for round two. She put round two in a box too. Good for her! It was soft-serve, but not pudding.

Then she's got her tells. She's sitting; her tail off the ground.
137E0523-3C89-48F5-B23C-0AC7535D0F18.jpeg
She's kicking the carpet with her back legs. She gets up and looks for a spot.

"Off to poop jail with you!"

A couple of soft bits. No poop pukes.

"Alright. At most, you have another kiss or two left and that's not worth holding you in poop jail and tempting the poop pukes."

And of course, she gives a scoot and drops a kiss. Not even enough for a Spot Bot. I pull it up with a soapy sponge and spray it with an enzyme cleaner.

Finally convinced she's done, she heads off under the bookcase to have a brief, but tense moment of introspection on the pros and cons of barfing.

It wasn't a double-ended blowout so maybe we are making progress. She's not flooding the box with pudding or blowing it out on the back wall. She didn't barf. We're close to healing. But we're not there yet. And she still doesn't seem to be putting on weight. I don't expect any gain in tomorrow morning's weigh-in.

I will call the Dr on Wednesday morning having completed the first two weeks Tuesday night. We made progress on the poops and poop pukes in these two weeks. And her appetite has never been healthier. She's moving well too getting arthritis relief. I will discuss with Dr if we need to give it a little longer. Or maybe increase dose. Or possibly try Leukeran (chlorambucil aka chemotherapy.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.