Krista's Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent!
What's up with the feeders? If you set them all for one hour earlier, would they be opening at the right time? Is it a daylight savings time thing, or a glitch, if you know?
They are egg timer feeders. Daylight saving time agnostic. I don’t know what’s up with them. I tested a couple the day she was away with the ultrasound and they seemed to work just fine. But then when I actually need to rely on them, they are all over the place with the accuracy. That’s why I deploy them in pairs. In case one fails to open but also if the timing is off. Presumably they’ll both be off by nearly the same amount. So if I set one to open in three hours and the other in five. Even if the timing is off, I expect her to only have to wait two hours between them.

And just when I thought we had achieved poop stability, I watched her poop again at 5. And then the bonus bits. Without me there to talk her out of it, she left me a bomb in the front room. I find it very confusing that she would want to poop so close to her food. There’s plenty of “dining room” that hasn’t been used for that in a year or two that would be a fine bombing ground. Nothing to close to food or bed.

Cats are weird!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are egg timer feeders. Daylight saving time agnostic. I don’t know what’s up with them. I tested a couple the day she was away with the ultrasound and they seemed to work just fine. But then when I actually need to rely on them, they are all over the place with the accuracy. That’s why I deploy them in pairs. In case one fails to open but also if the timing is off. Presumably they’ll both be off by nearly the same amount. So if I set one to open in three hours and the other in five. Even if the timing is off, I expect her to only have to wait two hours between them.

And just when I thought we had achieved poop stability, I watched her poop again at 5. And then the bonus bits. Without me there to talk her out of it, she left me a bomb in the front room. I find it very confusing that she would want to poop so close to her food. There’s plenty of “dining room” that hasn’t been used for that in a year or two that would be a fine bombing ground. Nothing to close to food or bed.

Cats are weird!
It is probably not a case of wanting to, but having to.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight’s pred wasn’t quite as easy as last night. But still easier than the prior two nights. I don’t like pulling her away from her reward for another wrestling match. But at least it went smoothly enough. The third time anyway.

I came home to two carpet bombs and a poop barf. 😿 I thought we were past this. The worst of it is that she still looks a little rough for the wear. 😿

I’m going to try not to change anything and hope this was a one-off. Possibly related to introducing second milk thistle dose. I’m going to give it another chance. I can take it back if we don’t re-achieve poop stability.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning's weigh-in seems to be unmoved from 6.6. I did get three different numbers for our combined weight. She could be a little more or a little less. She is not gaining weight, though, for all those extra calories that she is consuming. But she's only half a week into pred. Let's see what next week's weigh-in says.

Final score yesterday: 9.6 oz for 295 calories. 2 perfect poops, 2 carpet bombs, and a poop puke. That certainly could have taken the week down a notch on the weigh-in.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two meals in the books this morning. She’s had her milk thistle dose, 1/32 tsp. She had a perfect poop. Then she curled up face first into the radiator tucking a paw underneath it. That’s where we’re at now. I don’t expect any bonus bits this time around. I’ll finish my coffee and go back to bed for a couple more holiday hours of sleeping in. Before she pesters me for lunch.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two meals in the books this morning. She’s had her milk thistle dose, 1/32 tsp. She had a perfect poop. Then she curled up face first into the radiator tucking a paw underneath it. That’s where we’re at now. I don’t expect any bonus bits this time around. I’ll finish my coffee and go back to bed for a couple more holiday hours of sleeping in. Before she pesters me for lunch.
Sounds like a nice morning! We're having one, too -- Elvis being a Big Blue laptop, Tarifa croissanting beside us, and Baby Su securing the area of her high-value room. ;)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a nice morning! We're having one, too -- Elvis being a Big Blue laptop, Tarifa croissanting beside us, and Baby Su securing the area of her high-value room. ;)
I was supposed to wake early and call a tow truck to get my car towed some place to fix it. But what shop wants an unscheduled nonstarter dropped off? A sleep-in morning with my 2 hour furry snooze button still sounded better than this.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight’s pred was so quick and easy, I had to search myself, the carpet, and her before I could let her at her treat portion. Maybe she finally understands how this goes. I stuff a food covered “stone” in her mouth and when she swallows it, she’s free to clean the raw rabbit portion and the little amount of canned food I put in the corner of the plate to smear her pill in.

She already pooped tonight. It looked mostly firm. Certainly no cowpies. Cleanup was straightforward. No bonus bombs or poop barfs.

She finished her dinner portion that followed the pred and the raw.

I even got her to chase the laser a little. A few seconds. Better than nothing. She still enjoys it even if age catches up to her sooner than it used to.

Pred, poop, food, play. I think we’re done with this cat shift. So quickly! Now what? I’m off the hook until presumably 9:30-10 but she’ll start pestering me sooner, I’m sure.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"I know you're hungry. But your front end will only get as much as your back end can keep pace with."

I really want to increase her portions so I can get more than two hours out of a meal. If she gives me another couple of days of stable poops, I might add a couple of grams to her meals. As it is, I went from 33 grams to 36 grams last week and added two extra meals. So why isn't she gaining weight yet? I will weigh her again on Wednesday as that will have been a week of pred.

Even without the weight gain, her eating, her digestion, her movement, and her attitude have all improved over the last few days. I'm glad we struggled long enough for me to learn a lot about her struggle and a few tricks to boot. But I wish we had tried the pred a lot sooner. Though I am pleased and grateful that her mouth was done first for how much she is eating now.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
“I’m getting up to pee. Not to feed. Not me and not you. I’m going to the wrong half of the apartment. My bladder can’t hold out another hour, but your stomach can.”
🤚🐈🐷

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Final score: 9.96 oz for 309 calories

More than that actually. There was a tweener to bridge from lunch to whenever the first feeder was going to open.

Another perfect poop this morning after second breakfast. I could get used to this regularity.

Except...

It seems the 5.5 oz cans of the rabbit are sold out and backordered. I ordered two more cases of the 3 oz. But the 3 oz is smoother and I am inclined to believe that's leading to smoother poops. I guess we will see soon enough. Hopefully the pred will counteract this.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Smelly cat, smelly cat, it's not your fault!"

She had a great poop, if not slightly soft on one of the segments. It's hard to tell because she buried it. It's either fat and soft or normal and folded on itself. She went into the office to do a bum clean. Apparently it wasn't that thorough a job.

Did she poop again?

Nope, she just came out of the office and sat next to my chair. Either I was smelling her bum that needed a second pass or she's passing silent ones.

I'm a little concerned about the increased frequency (9am to 2 pm is 5 hours? vs the 8-12 per usual.) But if this keeps the bonus poops and poop barfs away, I can deal with an early poop.

I find it odd that first feeder has been open an hour now and she hasn't finished it yet. She did a pretty good job with the first pass. But there's still plenty left in there. She did have a spoonful at 1 pm. Maybe she's finally had her fill. For a minute anyway.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight’s pred didn’t go as smoothly as last night. But it wasn’t as much of a wrestling match as other nights. “What’s this tasteless tic tac?” “Just swallow it and you can have your raw rabbit.” It took a few tries. But we got there. She got her raw portion. She ate. She pooped and peed earlier. We should play as much as she will play (twenty seconds?) and then I’ll be off cat duty until next meal.

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's a bit of a super pooper today. We had one at 9am, another at 2pm, a third just now at 9pm and a softer bonus bit that followed that--softer, but still mostly formed. More like soft-serve than pudding. She actually put that one in a box on her own. Good for her! It was the next bonus bit that she wanted to put that anywhere she could. I don't blame her if it takes three to be done. I know her tells, and I herded her to a box where she tried and tried and tried but nothing came out. Of either end. No poop barf is a success!

Her food is slightly in flux because I ran out of the 3 oz cans of rabbit pate. I have more coming soon. In the meantime, I'm mixing the 5.5 oz cans with the 3 oz of rabbit plus pumpkin pate. I'm sure by the time I get the 3 oz rabbit pate cans, I'll have run out of the 5.5 oz cans. I hope her gut and butt can keep up with all the Rawz supply and batch issues. I don't understand rabbit shortages. Don't they breed like bunnies? ;)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's a bit of a super pooper today. We had one at 9am, another at 2pm, a third just now at 9pm and a softer bonus bit that followed that--softer, but still mostly formed. More like soft-serve than pudding. She actually put that one in a box on her own. Good for her! It was the next bonus bit that she wanted to put that anywhere she could. I don't blame her if it takes three to be done. I know her tells, and I herded her to a box where she tried and tried and tried but nothing came out. Of either end. No poop barf is a success!

Her food is slightly in flux because I ran out of the 3 oz cans of rabbit pate. I have more coming soon. In the meantime, I'm mixing the 5.5 oz cans with the 3 oz of rabbit plus pumpkin pate. I'm sure by the time I get the 3 oz rabbit pate cans, I'll have run out of the 5.5 oz cans. I hope her gut and butt can keep up with all the Rawz supply and batch issues. I don't understand rabbit shortages. Don't they breed like bunnies? ;)
So they tell us. It must either not be that popular, or so popular that they under-order. *I hate when that happens!* She's doing very well!!!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Final score: 10.3 oz for 320 calories! And so many poops! But no barfs or blowouts!

She's doing so well, I'm going to run out of her food today. :(

I opened the last 5.5 oz can I have. It may be a few days before I get more 3 oz cans depending on whether anyone in town still has any rabbit stock. She may have to go to 100% rabbit and pumpkin for a few days until my 3 oz cases come in. :( I have a tracking number on those cases, but they have not been dropped off at the post office yet. I do not know whether those cases will come this week or next.

I'm thinking when we switch to all rabbit and pumpkin, I'm going to have to take the serving size down for a few meals to make sure she can handle it. Thankfully the pred will cut through any pickiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.