Krista's Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've gotten two doses of s. boulardii in her already. She squirted once more and splashed the back of her litterbox enclosure. :doh:

But she did get in a nap. She has been restless all morning so it was nice to see her resting.

And she's back to the food plate again. I put another dose of s. boulardii down. If she's going to shovel it in, she may as well take her medicine too.

Because I'm sure my thread will keep showing up in search results, here's the article I'm going off of:

I gave her 1/2 a capsule of the Jarrow brand Saccharomyces boulardii. I have measured these capsules before. 1 capsule is 1/8 tsp. If you use the smidgen-pinch-dash spoons, that's 1 dash. That means a half capsule is 1 pinch. 1/4 capsule is 1 smidgen.

So first breakfast, she got 1 pinch (1/2 capsule.) Second and third servings I've given her the other half 1 smidgen (1/4 capsule) at a time.

Now that she's got 1 capsule in her (right quick!), I can let up on her and let her nibble away the rest of the day as she's hungry. Hopefully that's enough to slow things down. I may give her a little more s. boulardii with dinner depending on whether she's still squirting. Maybe I could just give her the option on a second plate.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was fixing my lunch (Amy’s Black Bean Chili) and she was supervising.

“If I give this to you, it will come out looking much the same. But how about some nutritional yeast?”

I put some on a plate for her and turns out she likes the stuff. I put down another quarter capsule of her other yeasty beasties, the s boulardii and she ate that up too. I gave her a spoonful of turkey stock and she seems more contented now. No more stink eye. Hopefully no more squirts either.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was fixing my lunch (Amy’s Black Bean Chili) and she was supervising.

“If I give this to you, it will come out looking much the same. But how about some nutritional yeast?”

I put some on a plate for her and turns out she likes the stuff. I put down another quarter capsule of her other yeasty beasties, the s boulardii and she ate that up too. I gave her a spoonful of turkey stock and she seems more contented now. No more stink eye. Hopefully no more squirts either.
Sounds like you're definitely doing the right things. If she's got a bit of a bug, it just might take a little time to exit her system.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you're definitely doing the right things. If she's got a bit of a bug, it just might take a little time to exit her system.
Clostridium lasted a month. And I still shot out of bed any time she got in a box for another month after. I just don’t think either of us could do that again.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s been over 12 hours since the last squirts. And while I wasn’t awake when she left it, it looks like tonight’s box puddle was a one-and-done. So it seems we have left diarrhea territory and entered soft stools state. For now... This could deteriorate by morning. Clostridium was marked by frustrating fluctuations of soft stools and diarrhea.

I gave her a bonus half serving so I could give her another quarter pill of s boulardii.

I also picked up a couple whole turkey legs. I figure she always likes thigh meat for raw food. I’ll cut that away and freeze it. The drumsticks and thigh bones I’ll poach in the Instant Pot for cooked meat and stock. If she goes back to diarrhea, she’ll get poached turkey meat until we’re through it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still eating well. Either she's super-hungry because it's transiting too fast or her eating just needed a jump-start. She just finished her first breakfast in basically one go--half when plated then under my chair she went so I brought the plate to her and she cleaned it. We're at 17 or 18 gram servings now. I don't want to increase that serving size until we're done with the soft poops. But this is loads better the nibbling earlier this week.

What timing! I have smart lights which fade up like an artificial sunrise for her meals (how else do you teach a cat a schedule?) And after about 30-45 minutes of meal-time "sunlight", the lights go off again. Krista finished breakfast and went under the bookcase and a minute later, the lights went out. Well-deserved bookcase time.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still eating well. Either she's super-hungry because it's transiting too fast or her eating just needed a jump-start. She just finished her first breakfast in basically one go--half when plated then under my chair she went so I brought the plate to her and she cleaned it. We're at 17 or 18 gram servings now. I don't want to increase that serving size until we're done with the soft poops. But this is loads better the nibbling earlier this week.

What timing! I have smart lights which fade up like an artificial sunrise for her meals (how else do you teach a cat a schedule?) And after about 30-45 minutes of meal-time "sunlight", the lights go off again. Krista finished breakfast and went under the bookcase and a minute later, the lights went out. Well-deserved bookcase time.
So happy to hear the good report! Those lights sound like they're pretty helpful for you both.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So happy to hear the good report! Those lights sound like they're pretty helpful for you both.
It’s so much more gentle waking up to those lights than alarms. And I don’t have to clock watch. When the lights go high, it’s time to change out her plates. Hopefully clean ones.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s so much more gentle waking up to those lights than alarms. And I don’t have to clock watch. When the lights go high, it’s time to change out her plates. Hopefully clean ones.
Sounds great! I'm sort of an instant-on person and usually wake up before the alarm goes off, especially these last few mornings. I have a clock-radio that has different nature sounds that I could wake up to, as an alternative, if I want.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shoot! Another cow patty poop.

At least it was one and done without much effort or distress.

I gave her another spoonful of stock with another 1/4 pill of s boulardii.

Seems like it’s not diarrhea anymore but there’s maybe still some inflammation that’s interfering with the natural water reclamation that is supposed to happen in the colon.

So...more stock and s boulardii until her butt cools down again.

I realized I need some more supplies before I can process her turkey legs so that will be an evening task for me.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It occurred to me that I have an anti-inflammatory besides stock and s boulardii. I added a couple drops of CBD into her yeasty stock. I sure hope her poops return to normal before we travel back to the dentist on Tuesday.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. Sorta formed, maybe, or maybe it just clumped in the litter. But still very loose. And more frequent. It's been what? 7 hours since the last one? But it's one-and-done. I think. I hope.

After Rick and Morty tonight, I'll poach some turkey legs for her in the Instant Pot and mix it with the meat stock for a "bland" diet. Doesn't sound very bland to me. But it should be easier to digest than her normal food.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the mirtazapine finally wore off because she barely touched her food after first dinner. Then she had what might have been a mostly hairless hairball last night and that was game over for the eating. 😿🤦🏼‍♂️. It left the same not-acid-food-or-bile-looking puddle on the carpet. But very little hair.

Monday morning weigh-in: 7.3 lbs 😿😔

I jabbed her with a B12 and tucked a little CBD into her first portion. Which I had to then scoop the yeasty top off and mix with stock to make sure she at least got the 3 drops of CBD before she stopped nibbling.

I’ve left her to chill out in the office tree with cat rock. I’m picking up the distilled water rather than tap to poach her turkey legs and make stock from the strained liquid in the same go. I fell asleep before Rick and Morty last night and when I woke for her second dinner, I was not going to sign up for two hours of processing. 1 hour cook and 1 hour prep and clean.

Maybe she will eat more of her “bland” food than her regular food. When the poops return to normal, we can try the Mirtaz again at a lower dose.

At least there were no more soup poops last night. No morning reports either. Yet. 😬

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m too nervous about her weight loss to wait for the poops to clear up.

I gave her a smaller Mirtaz dose. But I don’t like the dosing system at all. My 1 inch (vs 1.5 last time) ribbon was totally uneven in thickness. I did my best for second time and dosed her quickly.

I followed it up with a spoonful of stock and yeast.

Let her have her bookcase time while I process her turkey legs.

And hopefully sometime after I can start feeding a munchies cat some bland food to get her through the squirts.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A little barf this morning. I threw a lot at her between B12, CBD, Mirtaz, and stock. Who knows what caused it? It could even be that Fleabusters stuff that I still smell when I walk in the door. I vacuumed once more. Offered her a little food afterwards. She ate some. A few bites. But then back to the bookcase. Last time it took longer than six hours for the munchies to kick in. Still another 45 minutes on the Instant Pot. I decided to only process the thighs because I know she likes that meat. Stick with what I know. I cut away the skin and a lot of fat and then tossed the meat and meaty bones into the pot. This should produce a lbs or two of tender meat and a tasty stock. Or “bland” food as “they” say. 😹

Status
Not open for further replies.