Krista's Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Odd question... but I've often wondered... do kitties get turkey tummy the way people do if they eat too much?
Turkey tummy? As in turkey contains tryptophan that makes you tired?

The oft-repeated turkey myth stems from the fact that turkey contains the amino acid tryptophan, which forms the basis of brain chemicals that make people tired. But turkey isn't any more sleep-inducing than other foods. In fact, consuming large amounts of carbohydrates and alcohol may be the real cause of a post-Thanksgiving-meal snooze, experts say.
Thanksgiving Myth Busted: Eating Turkey Won't Make You Sleepy

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She will eat soon. She is being her foodie self.
I think she's struggling on something. We've been playing the "whose stomach is making that noise?" game all morning. But this last time, I know that was hers. She's also sleeping with an outstretched paw clawing into the bed like, "omg will this bed stop spinning?" I'm sure that's not what she's feeling but I'm also not convinced that it isn't something similar like, "will this alien just burst out of my stomach already?!"

But then she comes over and sits in my lap and purrs and is lovey and responsive. So who knows? Her morning CBD was put on the tuna which she hasn't touched. I'll let her skip that dose. For dinner, I'll figure out how to get her to take the CBD. It's only three drops so I might just poke the dropper to her mouth and call it close enough.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know Krista. She will pick up a chewy piece and walk it to the carpet before chewing into it. She's 15 and I'll let her eat wherever and however she likes (except the bed) as long as she eats. Which she's not really doing today. I busted out the rabbit which she's had recently so that shouldn't be a gut bomb like the turkey. She's nibbling a bit more of the rabbit than the turkey and not touching the tuna at all. I'm okay with the tuna boycott. But I thought we were past the nibbles. I'll use the last bupe on her tonight if she's still not eating at dinnertime.
I feed my cats IN bed when they want. They are every bit as entitled to it as I would be if there was anyone to do so. I wouldn't like it, though, anyway, because I'm an instant-on person who has to be cleaned up and dressed (and cats fed, cleaned for, and watered, and brushed if they want) before even thinking about breakfast.
Hope the nibbles give way to the slow, unhurried snorks!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
🤢🤮😿
But it was just clear liquid. Not even acid. And she doesn’t drink water. So if she doesn’t resume eating tonight, she’s going in for subQ fluids tomorrow. And maybe an X-ray.

If I can get my car back from the shop who have it hostage waiting for a part no one has. Who knows how long they would have kept it if I hadn’t called? Because they weren’t calling me with any updates. 🤬

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
🤢🤮😿
But it was just clear liquid. Not even acid. And she doesn’t drink water. So if she doesn’t resume eating tonight, she’s going in for subQ fluids tomorrow. And maybe an X-ray.

If I can get my car back from the shop who have it hostage waiting for a part no one has. Who knows how long they would have kept it if I hadn’t called? Because they weren’t calling me with any updates. 🤬
Silly people. Haven't they called Rock Auto? They say they have EVERYTHING your car will ever need. :sigh:

Sure hope she straightens up and flies right! She doesn't like a cat fountain?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, as in the poop goes soft if you eat it for more than two days running.

But that was an interesting read too ty!
Nah! Turkey is solid poop food for Krista. She ate it almost exclusively for most of this year because she loves it. It loves her. And it’s the highest caloric food I have that agrees with her for putting weight back on her. But also, like now, she ate a whole ounce less yesterday than the day before but still got the same number of calories. I think 6 oz would be healthy for her. But it would take about 9 oz of the tuna for the same calories.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Silly people. Haven't they called Rock Auto? They say they have EVERYTHING your car will ever need. :sigh:

I told him since the car is still driveable, find the part first and then I’ll bring her back. But for now, gimme my car! It’s serving no one sitting on their lot waiting for a part that even the dealer and the manufacturer don’t have. GM is on back order for it. 🤦🏼‍♂️🤬

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have a small collection of fountains she has shown no interest in. Generally she eats well enough that it’s not an issue.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s a weird one. She is eating the old crusty rabbit from lunch over the fresh portion, well, fresh from the fridge. Then again. Those crusties were fresh from the can. Six hours ago! She also nibbled at the turkey. So she’s not on hunger strike. But she is very tentatively nibbling right now. I’ll call that progress and I’ll take it. Let me flush her toilets and we’ll play a little. Then I’m going out for dinner and let her have some bookcase time.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not convinced. Her eating has slowed way down to a crawl. I think I should book her for fluids because she's certainly not eating enough for that.
I always try to be on the optimistic/hopeful side, but you know Krista and you're undoubtedly right. Have you asked her vet about administering sub-Q at home? I learned how, and it made a big difference for our beloved Moti girl, who had CRF.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven’t learned how to do fluids because I do enough to her already. That’s one I like to leave to the vet techs.

I changed out the plates and we had some turkey nibbling, rabbit indifference, and curiosity over rabbit plus nutritional yeast. I figure I’ll put out an A and a B plate and then one test plate where I can experiment with enticements without spoiling the normal portions. So if I’m interpreting these results correctly, tonight’s A and B will remain turkey and rabbit. But the test plate will be turkey plus nutritional yeast. I think she expressed enough curiosity over the yeast, kept coming back to sniff it and almost taste it. But maybe it was the food it was riding on top that wasn’t doing it for her.

I called Krista’s regular doc and said, “remember when you suggested a prescription for Mirtaz, transdermal mirtazapine? We’d like to try that now if you please.” And they just texted me that it’s ready. So we’ll start that likely tomorrow morning. Maybe tonight if Miss Nibbles can’t clean a plate in 4 hours.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She just reduced the turkey plate by half (half of half ounce is a quarter ounce.) There's hope for her yet. That's well-earned bookcase time if she wants it.

I also noticed, overall, her grooming is better now than it was before all of this. So clearly, there's less pain in her mouth even if it's not completely eliminated. But her most recent ultrasound did show gut inflammation. Even the dentist now wants me to follow up with her regular vet about that.

I'll make a decision about the pred formulation this weekend. If she can hold out until after her dental recheck next week, I would rather not give her an immunosuppressant until after I get the "all clear" on her mouth.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She just reduced the turkey plate by half (half of half ounce is a quarter ounce.) There's hope for her yet. That's well-earned bookcase time if she wants it.

I also noticed, overall, her grooming is better now than it was before all of this. So clearly, there's less pain in her mouth even if it's not completely eliminated. But her most recent ultrasound did show gut inflammation. Even the dentist now wants me to follow up with her regular vet about that.

I'll make a decision about the pred formulation this weekend. If she can hold out until after her dental recheck next week, I would rather not give her an immunosuppressant until after I get the "all clear" on her mouth.
Sound reasoning.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Progress! She cleared first dinner plate of turkey by half. I didn't even plate the rabbit. For the test plate, I picked up more of the saccharomyces boulardii that she likes. She's a weird one but she actually likes the stuff. I mean it's good for her. That's not supposed to be this easy. She cleared another 5 grams or so of the turkey because there was her yeasty goodness on top of it. I haven't weighed either plate. But I'm guessing she ate half an ounce of turkey. She should definitely be under the bookcase right now loosening that top button. If she could eat five more meals like that, she'd be at 3 oz. Still not enough, but definitely progress from nothing or tuna.

Status
Not open for further replies.