Krista's Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering, are you weighing her? I apologise if I missed that from previous..
I usually weigh her on Monday mornings. I can't remember why I didn't weigh her yesterday morning. She was weighed at the vet's last Tuesday. Even after the puddles the weekend before, she is 9.2 lbs. So she's not losing weight. But she's feeling bony. So I'm thinking she's trading muscle for fat. Or poop.

In any case, I feel like the fleas could absolutely be taking their toll on her. That's why I had the vet reapply the Advantage after 7 days since I probably didn't apply it right the first time and why I took yesterday off to spray the premises. The combination of the two, while not being acutely toxic and run her to the vet's office, was probably enough to unsettle her stomach. I am also going to get us a room for a weekend in two weeks when the premise spray needs to be re-applied. Hopefully we're finally going to end this infestation now that I've got a sane plan of attack that includes IGRs and not just adulticides. Tomorrow, the every other day vacuuming begins. Last night the flea combings resumed and that could easily have set her off as it spread around whatever was riding on top of the fur rather than what got down to her skin and the glands.

If we're still struggling with weight, appetite, and poops after the fleas are vanquished, I guess another ultrasound is in order.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:vibes::thumbsup:. :crossfingers:
I've had that with my boy, where he'll sometimes feel a bit hollow behind his ribs and I know I need to be especially aware of his eating.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So much poop! So so much melted soft serve and puddles!

Thank goodness for cat jail. As soon as I saw the first poop, I chased us into cat jail and closed us off. And from there, it was clean the boxes as fast as she can dirty them. This was a four or five box poop. I still only have two. We somehow managed to get them in the boxes. Mostly. Better on the hardwood than the carpet.

Theory #1: Food from store B was no good. We only switched back to food from store A after her first breakfast. But we are back on that store’s batch.

Theory #2: Her flea drops and/or the premise spray had an adverse effect.

Theory #3: Yesterday’s drought turned into today’s flood.

At least it’s not affecting her appetite. Which has become healthy again.

I’m going to give it a day. Unless she starts barfing or she goes back to the box before tomorrow, I’m not going to try to treat it. Let’s take a wait a day approach rather than risk bunging her up again.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Puddles at breakfast. Puddles at dinner. At least she waited until I was home. We managed to spare the carpets but the litterbox cabinet and the hardwood floors didn’t escape unsoiled. Still. So much easier to clean than carpet. I bought a new 14 lbs of litter and it’s already deployed across three litter boxes. I have deployed an extra until we’re back to normal poops. Poor girl! I actually had four out. I have duplicates of her two so I can swap a dirty out for a clean without a bathroom closure. While I was cleaning the latest disaster, she was rotating though the other available boxes. She really kept me busy.

She got a smidgen of lithothaniun with the breakfasts. And since she still had puddles at dinner, she got another smidgen.

I tried to give her a B12 shot since she’s likely blown her stores out her bum. I tried to stick her quickly and decisively like the vet techs do. And I tried to plunge quickly because more than the stick, it seems to be the push that she objects to. So that was the plan. The reality? I think I either poked straight through to the other side or I pushed too fast and the subcutaneous tissues regurgitated it back up. B12 puddle on her back and doubtful that any got in her. I can wait until Monday and try again.

Hopefully there will be no more pooping until breakfast. I’ll collect a sample tomorrow and request a PCR.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's so hungry probably because the food is moving so quickly through her. The upside of that is that I just gave her a spoonful of pumpkin and she said, "um, no thanks." and then I mixed a spoonful of her food into that pumpkin, "since you put it that way..."

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More puddle poops at 4:30am. I so was busy trying to clean a box fast enough for the next mess that I didn’t retain a sample for PCR.

I got her to swallow this morning’s mirtz by tossing it in her mouth and then squirting a Luxolite (liquid clay) chaser into the side of her mouth. Not even half a tsp. Just enough that she has to swallow.

In addition to the tiny amount of clay, I bumped her lithothanium from a smidgen to a pinch.

And she’s done! Good. She finished first breakfast and the lithothanium and probiotic mixed into it. Now I can queue up her second breakfast and daytime feeders.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:fear::doh2:

Well. At least I got another chance to collect a sample. Brewing a cup of coffee to keep an eye on super pooper and make sure we’re done for the morning before I head out to drop off her sample and go into work.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shoot! I left her mirtazapine prescription at home. And so I woke the sleeping beast coming home for it. Now the sleeping beast is an eating beast. And I feel compelled to stick around to make sure the eating beast doesn’t become a pooping beast. But at least the PCR sample has been dropped off and maybe we ID this thing in a few days. In the meantime, I’m reading S. boulardii threads and I will be picking something up for her today. I hope it works because the lithothanium is only a sponge. It doesn’t solve anything. It just makes it drier.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will spend my first two nights of the year outside my own bed next weekend. Of course, Krista is coming with me.
:clapcat::doh2:
Hopefully her poops will have settled by then.
:whiskers:

I booked us a room in town for next weekend so that I can re-apply the premise spray in the home without having to chase her room to room or sequester her while rooms dry.
:runningcat:

As a bonus, there is a 5K that is running the creek trails that I enjoy running.
:runningcat:

The hotel is across the street from the race start and finish. On top of that, my favorite tap room and dine-in movie theater (waiters serve you at your seat--a cheat day favorite activity of mine!) are just behind this hotel. I'm pretty excited about this hotel, the location, and the weekend. The only thing I'm not excited about is the bill. The room cost is about what I would expect for the hotel class and location. But then there is a $150 non-refundable pet fee. To be fair though, I am bringing a cat (possibly) with fleas and maybe poop problems. $150 may be a bargain.
:paperbag:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finally we catch a break. I hope. My little super pooper actually likes the S. boulardii. I sprinkled it right on top of her food and she mowed into it.

It is entirely possible that I could feed her poop back to her right now. I mean. I wouldn’t. But it seems like her food is running through her so quickly that she’s not absorbing nutrients. She’s nearly always hungry.

I’m really hopeful that this S boulardii plus MOS does the trick and fast! Next weekend won’t be much fun if we have to spend it in poop jail.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3:30am:
Woke to sequester her in poop jail while we make the puddle rounds. She drops them and I pick them up. Except not this time. Just a pee.
:whiskers:
Yeah I know. False imprisonment.

9:15am: “Since you’re not eating right now, I’m going to walk to the store for breakfast food and coffee.”
“Who me? I can eat.”
“I guess I’ll stick around then to see if you have the poops after.”
:purr:
Not the poops. But the purrs. In my lap. False imprisonment. She got me back. Never going to get coffee now.

It’s been nearly sixteen hours since her last puddles. I think the S Boulardii is working its magic. I expect actual formed poops later.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s been over 28 hours since her last poop. Her eating has slowed accordingly. She’s not straining. She’s just not going.

She did have a small regurgitation just now. :(

I’m going to keep giving the s boulardii and nothing else. I certainly don’t want it swinging back the other way. I think she just needs to build up an inventory. A little back pressure as it were. She’s got a couple more hours before I leave her for the day. Likely if she hasn’t pooped by now, she probably won’t until the dinners tonight.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We finally have poop!
:poop::poop::poop:
Lots of it!

But it was all formed or mostly formed. A little softer than normal. But more like soft logs than ropes. Definitely not puddles anymore.
:yess:

Hopefully we’re done for the night and we can get back to a more regular once a day schedule. And I mean once a day. Not three box shifts having to sequester her in poop jail.

S. boulardii has definitely helped and we’ll keep using it. We should get the CSI report on her poop next week. Probably clostridium. It comes back in 40% of PCR results.

Status
Not open for further replies.