Krista's Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I now know what you mean by ropes! I just cleaned out a rope in the litter box, looks like a rope/pretzel. As long as its not squishy I'm happy, anything coming out of this girl I'm happy about.
I really appreciate Vitality Science's supplement products for helping us through these poop disturbances when they happen.

I used Lithothanium (seaweed calcium) to dry up her puddles into ropes.
Lithothamnium, Sea Calcium Supplement for Cats | Vitality Science

This stuff is very absorbent! One or two doses was all she needed to stop the puddles. Once she wasn't producing puddles anymore, I backed off of it. It could have very easily gone the other way (constipation) if I didn't.

I used Luxolite (bentonite clay) to help flush whatever was causing the puddles in the first place. It is also absorbent but not as much as the lithothanium. I made sure I was already backing off or almost ready to quit the lithothanium before I gave this.
Luxolite | Pure White Bentonite Clay

I give her a homemade meat stock, a jiggly teaspoon, twice a day for any inflammation and general gut health and repairs.

Finally, she gets a probiotic, about half the small side of capsule (I eyeball it), twice a day.
Vitality Science Pet Flora | Cat Probiotics Supplement

Since you are already at ropes, the probiotic alone may be enough to firm things up.

You know your cat's history better than me so you could browse their other supplements to see what may help.
Natural Holistic Remedies | Vitamins Supplements for Cats | Vitality Science

Or you can contact their customer service for assistance with product selection. They will usually get back to you within 4 hours. Some of their products can be ordered in trial packs. All of their products come with a money back guarantee.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of tight poops today tell me that maybe she was getting constipated. And maybe that’s why she didn’t eat so much yesterday and last night. She’s eating like a champ today.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh! First, her poops aren’t coming a perfectly regular 24 hours apart. More like 23 or 22. That poop is coming earlier and earlier. This time, about 3:30am, I wake to Krista scratching up the carpet getting ready for a carpet bombing campaign. I managed to chase her back into cat jail with her boxes. She used both of them already. First the great looking log. Then a bit of soft serve in the other box. :(. I think the current batch of stock is no good. But I don’t know why. I’ll give her a touch of the luxolite (half a dose) with first breakfast to absorb some extra moisture and help flush out any other future soft bits.

Also her second feeder must have got stuck between dial settings. It never started counting down. Both second dinner plates were clean. First feeder was nearly clean. Second feeder still had six hours on the clock: what it was set to six hours ago. I popped it open manually about 20 minutes ago, and it’s nearly finished already. Wow! At least she’ll be hungry again by first breakfast.

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doh! She puddled out the back again. I did give her a half a spoon of stock last night of which she ate just a couple licks. So if she doesn’t want it, it must not be good.

No stock for you!

We’ll give her the benefit of the doubt that the puddle is a one-off and she’ll get a half dose of clay and her probiotic. If she puddles again, we’ll go with the lithothanium once more.

For now she’s just purring away in my lap interrupting the clutter clearing before the cleaning storm. She doesn’t know it yet. Well she would if she learned the language already. She’s going to the vet at 3 so they can apply the flea topical to her. We’re not doing this again until next month so let’s get it right this time. Then I’ll clean and spray and vacuum and all that like a mad man today. Laundry tomorrow. Got rid of my now flea infested futon and bought a wire rack to lift stuff off the floor and out of flea height.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m fortunate that Krista seems to understand the difference between people, places, and procedures. She’s not totally traumatized by the whole vet experience. She’s a little vocal going into the carrier and on the car ride over. But she’s usually calm by the time we get into the office. And she will wait to see what the staff wants to do before she voices her displeasure. She doesn’t dislike the office or anyone in the office (except maybe other cats) but she’ll let you know when you’ve crossed her line. Apparently, putting on the flea medicine was crossing the line. I’m fortunate that I had a no-nonsense vet tech who was saying, “You get mad at me. You tell me! Okay, you’re done!” Krista hissed but kept her bowels in check and we were on our way back home before she could get too upset. The little goof was trilling on the drive back.

I vacuumed and sprayed the Siphotrol—methoprene, an IGR, plus permetherin, an adulticide—in the home office. An hour later, the carpet was still damp. The door is closed and Krista shows no interest in going in there without me. Krista’s neck is still damp from her treatment. I’m going somewhere that isn’t dripping with poison to have dinner. I guess we’ll spray the front rooms tomorrow.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor girl had a couple more puddles and then she’s been trying to push out the last of it. And when she’s not licking her bum or cleaning her tail, she’s looking a little like she may throw up. I wonder if I got a bad batch of food. It seems like just maybe it was the same alternative store I went to when I couldn’t get into my primary store for one reason or another. I will put a sticker on these cans and then pick up another stack from my primary place tomorrow. I sure hope I can get a little lithothanium in her tonight.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I managed to get lithothanium into i a first dinner portion and there were no further poopsplosions last night. This morning's first breakfast, this batch of cans doesn't look right and Krista agrees. So I let her go off under the bookcase while I went to the other two stores I go to for her food. I have a dozen cans--eight from her usual store and four from an alternate--with color coded stickers I placed over the barcodes to indicate which stores I bought them from. The receipts on the fridge have the matching color coded stickers. I don't have to remember the color code.

I think my little goofball rolled her damp neck on the bed and then proceeded to lick away at that spot. I think I also forget to avoid her neck and my little licker who hasn't licked much since the last extractions starts licking away at my fingers. Does my weirdo find the poison appealing? That's alarming. I'm trying to leave it untouched for as long as I can. If there is still some transfer left in it, then I'd like her to be transferring it to where she likes to spend the most time--a Krista-shaped spot applicator.

Speaking of which, I took the day off of work to finish this flea treatment. I'll open the office and close her off in cat jail plus office while I vacuum and treat the front room. Then I'll have to come into the office with her and keep her entertained until the front room dries. I hope I know enough cat dad jokes.
:whiskers:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In two weeks, when I have to reapply the premise spray, Krista and I will be taking a staycation across town. I need to just get her out of here for a couple of hours to clean and spray and then another day or so to let it dry and air out. It will actually be my first night away from home since New Years. If I can’t “travel” without her, let’s see if I can “travel” with her.

She’s had a tiny little hair ball. Like a hair swab or something. But she’s had a few acid barfs. She isn’t much interested in eating. I’m thinking I bunged her up with the lithothanium last night and this morning. So I’ll leave food out and let her work it out. She did have an “exciting” 24 hours with the topical and the premise sprays. And tomorrow morning she gets a mirtazapine dose anyway. So tonight, she can play it how she wants to. On the plus side, she needs to eat to poop so a fasting cat should not be producing any puddles.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista has been producing these tiny acid barfs. By the time I get together my cleanup kit, the carpet drank it up and I can’t find it anymore. Hack up more solids or I’m not going to bother with the cleanup.
:hide::paperbag:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s constipated. Tiny little poop and a whole lot of straining. :(. I chased her into cat jail after she was scratching out her spot on the carpet. And there we remained as she kept going back again and again and producing nothing but a frustrated grunt.
:whiskers:

Poor girl. We don’t usually have this problem. I likely overdid the lithothanium. I’m not going to give her anything for this yet. I think one way or another it’s going to ease up on its own.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She jumped down from sleeping on the bed to yield another acid barf. Then, bless her resilience, she finally took her first nibbles since early afternoon. If this stays down, this should stop the acid barfs and get her back towards eating (and pooping) again. If it stays down...

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning’s mirtz wrestling match was about as stressful to be expected. First I had to wait for her to come out from under the bookcase. Which she did to have another acid barf. I gave her the mirtz. It took a couple tries. I think I want this compounded to a bright color that stands out in the carpet if she spits it out. I followed that by squirting 1/4 tsp of Luxolite into the side of her mouth. It’s liquid clay so it is both harder to push through the syringe but easier to get it where it needs to go since it’s thicker and slower to drip and drool away. I gave it to her to help settle her stomach. It seems to have worked. She’s finally taken a few nibbles of breakfast and then back under the bookcase. I’m sure she’s on a “wait-and-see” plan. I am happy that she’s nibbling again and I’m sure she’ll pick up the pace if it sits well.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is nibbling but she’s also looking a little rough. I’ll put out less food than usual so that she won’t be compelled to eat as much today while we’re waiting for her gut and butt to resume normal operations. The camera in her hiding spot is a wonderful thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.