Status
Not open for further replies.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Final score: 8.5 oz for 277 calories

That's crazy!

In our defense, it's hard to replace those Selects from either a protein or a calories point of view. She may have only ate an ounce of it a day, but it was adding about an ounce and half of calories and protein. It was basically an easy protein supplement.

But...

She sampled two different bags and wasn't impressed. And they didn't look as good as the first bag. They didn't smell as fresh either. They didn't smell off. But they didn't have that fresh thigh meat smell. It's a small sample size but I don't like my odds already. The main reason I don't want to feed her raw full-time is supply issues. When I can't find a bag that passes her smell test, I call this a supply issue.

At least to keep some raw in her diet (easy protein supplement), I am giving her from the last homemade batch when homemade was all she was eating until we saw the dentist. Glad to know that now that she has options, she still likes the homemade. But it will remain in the minority of the portions I serve for now.
Tarifa sings and dances, too and I love when she does that!
That's not good about the freshness issue. I'm pretty sure the food costs enough that top quality should be assured EVERY time. Cat food purity and freshness is a big thing with me since my cats are my beloved family members and they are in my care. I hit the roof when I read about these recalls. They should NEVER happen. What is the FDA for if not to ensure our food supply is good???:sigh::soapbox:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe my favorite time of the day, even more than the belly rides I give her several times a day, is feeding her first dinner. She's her most adorable self at this time. She joins me up on the kitchen counter with a little spring in her step and a "feed me" whine in her trills. She nudges me and gives me "hurry up" nips on my arm while I thaw her raw portion. Once we've finished with her raw portion, she climbs over me and around me trying to get at her plated portion while I'm still weighing it out for her.

Are cats sensitive to activity after eating? I would think I'd throw up playing as hard as she does after meals. She wants to play after meals instead of before them.

Then again, I'm usually in zombie mode before her meals trying to plate her food so I can crawl back into bed before I fully wake up . It rarely works that way. But she also knows how to request play by walking into the office and sitting in front of the closet door where I used to keep her toys. I now keep them in a bin out of her reach but she still knows that if she sits in front of that door, I'll pick up the hint about what she wants. If, however, I took her literally at her word and open the door, she remains sitting there, looking up at me, as if saying, "you know what I'm asking for here and that isn't it."

Good poop at 10 pm!
💩👍

There's still time for a dosing day disaster. But so far, she seems content with the one-and-done. She came out of the litterbox and ate 3/4 of her second dinner in one go. She'll start her night under the bookcase. This may be the most peace I get all night. She'll be out in two hours doing the food, feeders, belly rides circuit for the rest of the night.
🤦‍♂️😻🐽 😹

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Final score: 8.5 oz for 280 calories

The calorie count is fuzzy now because I am estimating the calories in my homemade based on available nutritional data for the component ingredients (turkey thigh meat, water, turkey liver, freeze-dried turkey heart, and egg yolk.) I estimate it at 1.48 calories per gram vs the 1.88 of the Selects.

Monday morning weigh-in: 7.2 or 7.4 lbs I don't know that I trust either number. There was such a wide variance on my own weight without her--as much as 0.3 lbs. In any case, she feels thicker than she did last week.

I want to proceed with the food transition before I put too much weight or worry into that number. Because the composition of her meals is shifting, the calories will be too. I have been doing some amateur adjustments to make up for differences. But I'm also being mindful of her poops and why this transition is taking so long.

Speaking of that, no dosing day disasters. But also no further poops since 10 pm last night. We still have time this morning for it to go either way.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe my favorite time of the day, even more than the belly rides I give her several times a day, is feeding her first dinner. She's her most adorable self at this time. She joins me up on the kitchen counter with a little spring in her step and a "feed me" whine in her trills. She nudges me and gives me "hurry up" nips on my arm while I thaw her raw portion. Once we've finished with her raw portion, she climbs over me and around me trying to get at her plated portion while I'm still weighing it out for her.

Are cats sensitive to activity after eating? I would think I'd throw up playing as hard as she does after meals. She wants to play after meals instead of before them.

Then again, I'm usually in zombie mode before her meals trying to plate her food so I can crawl back into bed before I fully wake up . It rarely works that way. But she also knows how to request play by walking into the office and sitting in front of the closet door where I used to keep her toys. I now keep them in a bin out of her reach but she still knows that if she sits in front of that door, I'll pick up the hint about what she wants. If, however, I took her literally at her word and open the door, she remains sitting there, looking up at me, as if saying, "you know what I'm asking for here and that isn't it."

Good poop at 10 pm!
💩👍

There's still time for a dosing day disaster. But so far, she seems content with the one-and-done. She came out of the litterbox and ate 3/4 of her second dinner in one go. She'll start her night under the bookcase. This may be the most peace I get all night. She'll be out in two hours doing the food, feeders, belly rides circuit for the rest of the night.
🤦‍♂️😻🐽 😹
No matter how much I have tried to take Jackson Galaxy’s advice of an intense play session before meals, my cats just stare at me like, “where’s our food, human?” I think they’re smart enough to know that they don’t need to hunt for food, the human has it! Their idea of “working” for food is to seduce me into feeding them. And it works every time.

But, they go nuts after every meal. Zoomies galore! Sometimes they have a little hiccup here or there from running so hard but luckily no regurgitation.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have never been enthusiastic about playing right before eating. They're much more into EATING before eating :flail:Cats in the wild are used to stalking, chasing and bringing down their prey, but cats in a domestic situation are used to having their food provided for them, so no need to hunt it first.

daftcat75 daftcat75 I love the description of Krista's pre-feeding "song and dance"!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Noon time poop cigars captured on the camera.
💩👍

It also looks like she cleaned second breakfast finally.

I think she was just full of 💩 this morning (more so than usual 😹) and that’s why she was in a no-food coma on the bed when I left.

I’m going to drive across town over lunch to scoop her poop. I don’t need to. She put it in the one box and she can pee in the other one all day long. But just knowing it’s there...we’ll both be happier when it’s scooped.

I had an automatic litterbox. It had awful problems. We’re both happier with the manual boxes. Less work too. Those automatic ones required more cleaning to compensate for their shortcomings. Sometimes automation isn’t worth it.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Noon time poop cigars captured on the camera.
💩👍

It also looks like she cleaned second breakfast finally.

I think she was just full of 💩 this morning (more so than usual 😹) and that’s why she was in a no-food coma on the bed when I left.

I’m going to drive across town over lunch to scoop her poop. I don’t need to. She put it in the one box and she can pee in the other one all day long. But just knowing it’s there...we’ll both be happier when it’s scooped.

I had an automatic litterbox. It had awful problems. We’re both happier with the manual boxes. Less work too. Those automatic ones required more cleaning to compensate for their shortcomings. Sometimes automation isn’t worth it.
I've known others who ditched their auto boxes after they failed to impress. You're right. People are brainwashed into thinking that "latest technology" is an improvement over whatever the existing thing is. Not always right.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a good cat parent! :cheerleader:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a good cat parent! :cheerleader:
I do it out of fear as much as love. Today was a good example of why. It was a blow it out both ends day. I think she seriously hates Mondays.

It was a 2.5 Bissell mess. Two poops for the spot bot and I pulled out the upright for her massive poop puke. 🤮😿 I used the hand tool on the spot bot before I dragged that puddle with the upright. Hence the bonus half tool.

I did switch her raw overnight. Couldn’t find Selects that passed the nose test to stage the change. I gave her a poop to see if it would agree before I ramped up the portion. Apparently she needed another poop. Or three. 🤦🏼‍♂️

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do it out of fear as much as love. Today was a good example of why. It was a blow it out both ends day. I think she seriously hates Mondays.

It was a 2.5 Bissell mess. Two poops for the spot bot and I pulled out the upright for her massive poop puke. 🤮😿 I used the hand tool on the spot bot before I dragged that puddle with the upright. Hence the bonus half tool.

I did switch her raw overnight. Couldn’t find Selects that passed the nose test to stage the change. I gave her a poop to see if it would agree before I ramped up the portion. Apparently she needed another poop. Or three. 🤦🏼‍♂️
Well, fear and loathing of Moandaze is pretty common, yes? and thankfully you got that SpotBot. *Poor Krista*

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Came back to projectile poop on the base of her favorite cat tree.
🐈💦💩🤦🏼‍♂️

Thank goodness she’s not fazed by the sound of the Spot Bot. She’ll eat right along side it working away as long as it keeps its distance.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Final score: 9 oz for 300 calories 🙀

Where is she getting all this food? Where is she putting it all? Apparently all over my carpet yesterday. 🤦‍♂️ 😿

I was tempted to skip a dose on the Mirtaz in case there is a correlation between the medicine and her butt issues. Instead, I gave her a slightly smaller dose. As best as I could tell with such a frustratingly inaccurate dosing system.

First breakfast is put away. She's already under the bookcase. I'll join her soon. I wish! I don't fit down there. But the meal lights should turn off soon. I'll snooze until next breakfast. We both will.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She left a good looking poop in the box sometime this morning when I wasn’t looking. Stealth low odor poop. Only noticed it because her box looked lumpy. Looks like one of her old Rad Cat poops. Compact but not constipatedly so. Like a sports car raw poop instead of a pumpkin sedan. I think putting homemade back in her diet is doing her well. Her coat feels great!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She left a good looking poop in the box sometime this morning when I wasn’t looking. Stealth low odor poop. Only noticed it because her box looked lumpy. Looks like one of her old Rad Cat poops. Compact but not constipatedly so. Like a sports car raw poop instead of a pumpkin sedan. I think putting homemade back in her diet is doing her well. Her coat feels great!
Glad to see things have improved since the "cat tree fiasco" ;)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to see things have improved since the "cat tree fiasco" ;)
We shall see. It seems like we have good poop days and bad ones. And then there was yesterday. Yesterday was in a class of its own. It deserves its own wing in her pooping hall of shame--except I don't shame her about her poops. Not to her face anyway. 🤦‍♂️ 😹

I feel bad that the enzyme cleaner we have is scented. It's all I could find at the time. It's certainly a better scent than before, but it's stronger than either of us would prefer. I worked in a layer of baking soda on top of that to hopefully soak up some of either scent. I hope I'm not "drowning" or deactivating the enzymes.

I hadn't intended on us going anywhere for Christmas. I usually get a room at a local hotel and have a little staycation on Christmas Eve. I figured this year I would skip it because of Krista and her costs. But Krista is really making a case for taking her with me this year so I can come back and do a deep clean of the apartment without her or her little lungs in the way.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We shall see. It seems like we have good poop days and bad ones. And then there was yesterday. Yesterday was in a class of its own. It deserves its own wing in her pooping hall of shame--except I don't shame her about her poops. Not to her face anyway. 🤦‍♂️ 😹

I feel bad that the enzyme cleaner we have is scented. It's all I could find at the time. It's certainly a better scent than before, but it's stronger than either of us would prefer. I worked in a layer of baking soda on top of that to hopefully soak up some of either scent. I hope I'm not "drowning" or deactivating the enzymes.

I hadn't intended on us going anywhere for Christmas. I usually get a room at a local hotel and have a little staycation on Christmas Eve. I figured this year I would skip it because of Krista and her costs. But Krista is really making a case for taking her with me this year so I can come back and do a deep clean of the apartment without her or her little lungs in the way.
Not sure about the baking soda/enzymatic cleaner issue, but I've always used Nature's Miracle (any of the formulas) and the scent is very light, plus it dissipates quickly.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure about the baking soda/enzymatic cleaner issue, but I've always used Nature's Miracle (any of the formulas) and the scent is very light, plus it dissipates quickly.
It's Nature's Miracle. It is a light scent. But it's still a scent nonetheless. And since she laid down several bombs and puddles yesterday, the apartment is drenched in it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I like Nature's Miracle, and it does dissipate, but yeah, there's definitely a scent that I really try to not breath in when I'm at the bottom of the stairs (drat it, cat!) and sort of trapped with the mist, if I'm utilizing the spray method.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her afternoon poop belongs in a poop hall of fame. 💩👏👍

But as feared, there was too much of the cleaner on the carpet, on her tree, and in the air for her. She barfed at some point during the day. But at least no bonus poops. I cleaned up her latest barf with just hot water and a little dish soap using the hose tool on the Spot Bot. Quickly becoming my favorite housecleaning droid.

She's making her case for a Christmas holiday in a hotel so I can deep clean without her.

Status
Not open for further replies.