Krista's Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh! I’m super itchy tonight. Not done with fleas yet. 🤦🏼‍♂️

I will try Fleabusters tomorrow. I bought a broom to apply it today. So I’m ready.

Shoot! I just missed her toothless yawn. She yawned just off camera. I swear I have been yawning at this cat for a week trying to get her to yawn. It’s the only way I will see inside her mouth until the recheck on Wednesday. They say yawning is contagious even across species. Krista says,
:whiskers:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She finally ate something. But it wasn't any more than she usually eats. About 5-10 grams. She also hasn't started in with the mirtz vocalizations and comfort seeking. A google search says it may take 1-2 days for this to start working.

Also, the dosing is so inexact and awkward. You're supposed to use a ruler on the box to measure out a 1.5 inch ribbon. But the gel is thin so a 1.5 ribbon can be thinner or thicker depending on how hard you squeeze the tube. Then applying a 1.5 inch ribbon to the inside of her ear is also awkward. She doesn't have much more than 1.5 inches of pinna. I have to stick my finger further in her ear than either of us would like to make sure I can rub the entire dose on.

Still easier than pilling her. I especially don't want to be pilling her until after the all-clear on her mouth next week.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She finally ate something. But it wasn't any more than she usually eats. About 5-10 grams. She also hasn't started in with the mirtz vocalizations and comfort seeking. A google search says it may take 1-2 days for this to start working.

Also, the dosing is so inexact and awkward. You're supposed to use a ruler on the box to measure out a 1.5 inch ribbon. But the gel is thin so a 1.5 ribbon can be thinner or thicker depending on how hard you squeeze the tube. Then applying a 1.5 inch ribbon to the inside of her ear is also awkward. She doesn't have much more than 1.5 inches of pinna. I have to stick my finger further in her ear than either of us would like to make sure I can rub the entire dose on.

Still easier than pilling her. I especially don't want to be pilling her until after the all-clear on her mouth next week.
*You can do it!* We know you can, and you will. And Krista! EAT!!! :goodluck:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She ate a little more. She seems to only eat 8-10 grams at a time. How in the world do we get to six ounces at this pace?

We may have to consider a feeding tube again. If we go that route, I can guarantee prednisolone compliance. That might be what's needed to get her inflammation down and her appetite and weight back up.

But I also don't know how much longer work will be tolerant of my work-from-home to care for this cat status.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She ate a little more. She seems to only eat 8-10 grams at a time. How in the world do we get to six ounces at this pace?

We may have to consider a feeding tube again. If we go that route, I can guarantee prednisolone compliance. That might be what's needed to get her inflammation down and her appetite and weight back up.

But I also don't know how much longer work will be tolerant of my work-from-home to care for this cat status.
*PRAYERS* and hope that they will. I know this society has very little empathy for anyone, much less in your situation, but hoping your work will be an exception to that.
And praying Krista will buck up and return to her very good eating pattern.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the mirtaz is kicking in. She has finished most of her dinner already. Maybe 12 grams of 16 grams plated. 12 grams of turkey is worth 16.5 grams of tuna. So yes, we're making progress.

Also, the Fleabusters! 🤢

I can't wait to vacuum this tomorrow. There's definitely some excess because it smells stronger in the front room than the office but I don't want to vacuum it away too soon to be effective.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Also, the dosing is so inexact and awkward. You're supposed to use a ruler on the box to measure out a 1.5 inch ribbon. But the gel is thin so a 1.5 ribbon can be thinner or thicker depending on how hard you squeeze the tube. Then applying a 1.5 inch ribbon to the inside of her ear is also awkward.
Is the dosage also given in ml? You could use a tiny needleless syringe to measure a dose. At the shelter we usually get a big box of them with caps at the pharmacy for transdermal gels/creams and make up a couple of doses in advance.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the dosage also given in ml? You could use a tiny needleless syringe to measure a dose. At the shelter we usually get a big box of them with caps at the pharmacy for transdermal gels/creams and make up a couple of doses in advance.
I can look later. Thankfully, it seems to have kicked in. She's not vocalizing like she would on the 1.88 mg oral dose (every other day.) But she is eating and that's what's important.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, that would have been too easy.

1.5 inch ribbon (~2mg/cat) for 14 days
Now is that 2mg of gel or 2mg of mirtazapine? Doesn't matter. I don't have a mg scale and it would be awkward trying to weigh it anyway.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:gaah:
She just had a multi-box diarrhea episode. I sure hope we don’t have a return of the clostridium. I don’t think she or me could do another round of that.

She’s still eating well. I gave her s boulardii on her morning meal. Sure glad she likes the stuff.

I’m inclined to let her skip today on the Mirtaz. I don’t want her overeating if she isn’t properly digesting.

I sure hope this was just an isolated incident that the s boulardii can resolve.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
No, that would have been too easy.

Now is that 2mg of gel or 2mg of mirtazapine? Doesn't matter. I don't have a mg scale and it would be awkward trying to weigh it anyway.
The medication is called Mirataz, from Kindred Biosciences? If so, I found the mL dosage, but you could double check with your vet before measuring with a syringe.

Dosing | Mirataz® (mirtazapine transdermal ointment) for cats

Administer topically by applying a 1.5-inch ribbon of ointment (approximately 2 mg/cat equal to 0.1 mL) on the inner pinna of the cat’s ear once daily for 14 days (see diagram below).

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The medication is called Mirataz, from Kindred Biosciences? If so, I found the mL dosage, but you could double check with your vet before measuring with a syringe.

Dosing | Mirataz® (mirtazapine transdermal ointment) for cats
Since she just had a multi-box diarrhea episode (I lock her up in poop jail and alternate cleaning one box while she uses the other—instead of the carpet), I think we’ll skip today and see if s boulardii in a few meals will resolve the diarrhea.

Have you ever experienced diarrhea in cats given mirtazapine (or Mirtaz)?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it’s just residual Mirtaz that’s making her so hungry.

When she had clostridium, that also made her ravenous because nothing was staying in her long enough to feel satiated. She has another 30 minutes before next meal. She’s been done for an hour and keeps coming back to me with a quiet “feed me” presence. I want to keep her on a feeding schedule rather than shoveling food in her until I’m convinced that she’s digesting and not just squirting it through the express lane.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it’s just residual Mirtaz that’s making her so hungry.

When she had clostridium, that also made her ravenous because nothing was staying in her long enough to feel satiated. She has another 30 minutes before next meal. She’s been done for an hour and keeps coming back to me with a quiet “feed me” presence. I want to keep her on a feeding schedule rather than shoveling food in her until I’m convinced that she’s digesting and not just squirting it through the express lane.
Just sending all the best thoughts to you both. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Status
Not open for further replies.