Krista's Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i've just read this story, I hope she'll be ok soon!
And I was thinking, maybe it would help if she got pain killers for her abdominal pain?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i've just read this story, I hope she'll be ok soon!
And I was thinking, maybe it would help if she got pain killers for her abdominal pain?
So she was taking the Clavamox which makes her nauseated. So she takes Cerenia for the nausea. But that makes her anorexic. So I give her Entyce. The Entyce likely is the one that gives her abdominal pain. I’d prefer fewer meds. Not more. Because what do I give for abdominal pain and what side effects come with that?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So she was taking the Clavamox which makes her nauseated. So she takes Cerenia for the nausea. But that makes her anorexic. So I give her Entyce. The Entyce likely is the one that gives her abdominal pain. I’d prefer fewer meds. Not more. Because what do I give for abdominal pain and what side effects come with that?
I totally get it, I've been there myself. And I truly hope she won't need any drugs sooner than later. But the thought of pain in such as little body is simple heartbreaking.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She doesn’t seem to be in pain today. Not like last night. I have been trying to let her meds wash out of her system for a day or two to see how she really is getting along when she’s not medicated. I do have transdermal bupenorphine and that’s my exception to no meds. If it seems like she’s in pain, I will not withhold the bupe. Last night, I gave her the bupe and she was still miserable. That’s the big reason I want to stop the Entyce. I haven’t seen her look that bad since her pancreatitis.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finally eating!

Fresh can of Rawz? Nope. A quarter ounce of Rad Cat? Nope. Fancy Feast? Okay!

Better to eat at McDonalds than starve at Whole Foods.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweet girl just half Sphinxed on me for an extended purr, scratch and lick session. Now she’s gone to sleep attached to my hip. I kinda wanted to refresh the plates because she finished the first half can of Fancy Feast. I want to make sure she has some food in the plates for her 2am buffet. But she’s attached to my hip. This is the sweetest she’s been in a few days. She earned herself a med-free Monday too. I want to see what she’s like when the Entyce and Cerenia have worn off and washed out.

Attachments

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
6am meal she made pretty good headway into another half can of Fancy Feast. She pays no mind to the milk thistle powder I add to her food now. That’s the best kind of supplement. After her breakfast, she climbed on top of me for full Sphinx. She’s definitely becoming more herself again since I stopped the meds.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's amazing how much we've struggled with food for her IBD and pancreatitis and now she's eating Fancy Feast without pleading, begging, or any issues. How much trouble could she have been spared had we started with Fancy Feast way back last year after her first round of tooth extractions? Having never fed her wet food before, I grabbed the grain-free Purina brand from the supermarket. Spinach and Ocean Whitefish, Salmon and Sweet Potato, it all sounded great to me not knowing anything about cat nutrition at the time. Now it seems obvious that all those grain-free and so-called "limited ingredient" diets we tried after weren't worth the ink their claims are printed on. All the Tiki Cat, Rawz, Rad Cat, homemade, back to Rawz, and now she's just mowing down cans of Fancy Feast like they are the best food ever. I can only give her the turkey flavor. She doesn't like the others or I don't want to feed her the fish flavors. And after Rad Cat, I no longer want to feed her a single food. We're past that stage now--that IBD stage where you find the one food that doesn't trigger a reaction and you just want to feed nothing but that food to keep the IBD at bay. Well, we have learned a lot, been through a lot, and luckily have several safe and sane foods.

So mow down those Fancy Feast cans, little one, but know you'll be getting Rawz again soon. And I still have 5 lbs of turkey and 10 lbs of rabbit in the freezer for when you're ready for raw once more.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm guessing it's the FF CLASSICS you're feeding her? I think all the others have lots of "junk" in them that are not good for IBD. And now, everything but the Turkey and Giblets also have fish in them, even though it doesn't say so in the name (ie Chicken Feast), but if you look at the ingredient list, there it is "fish" :angryfire:. I used to feed the classics as a backup food, but my boys aren't thrilled with fish, and they don't like turkey, so no more FF for them. I HAVE cans here, but they won't eat them. But I'm so glad your little one is eating! I just hope the artificial flavorings don't hurt her. IBD can be so tricky. Keeping my fingers crossed for you both :crossfingers:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Just the FF Classic Turkey and Giblets. No issues. Surprisingly. She’s at least put away 3 oz today. Goal for her is 7 to 8 oz per day. She’s a senior cat so she needs a lot of protein anyway to prevent wasting but then she needs even more to gain weight again. She lost about a half pound due to all of this. I brought her in at 8.4 and took her home at 7.9. I have a good feeling she will be above 8 on Wed checkup. Ideal for her is 9 and she was as low as 6.2 when she got the pancreatitis diagnosis. I’m just so relieved that leaving plates out for her and changing them every few hours is working so well for the both of us.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her right now. She spent the morning under the bookcase but now she’s determined to spend the afternoon at my side. I kinda had errands to run but I can give her a little more nap time next to me. Before, the meds had her either hiding or keeping her distance. This is clearly a better version of her. But we will retest her chemistry on Wed to confirm.
32157AF8-D022-448F-BF8D-5D889D32F192.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know where you are at - not about the sickness - but, my cat has kept me from peeing when I needed to, stopped me from going to do errands, and made me stay up long after my 'bed time' all because she decided it would be nice to either snuggle with me or sleep on top of me on 'her' recliner (yes, hers not mine). I am a sucker because she 14+ - and, she knows it!!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't change out the plates before bedtime. I rolled over in bed at 5am and she shows up from under the bookcase, "while you're up...."

After I woke up for real around 8:30, she climbed up on top of me for half Sphinx while we check the morning notifications.

I decided to try some Stella And Chewy's Freeze-dried Rabbit with her. She gave it a distant sniff, "what the heck is this?" I put powdered fish flakes over it. "Now that I recognize! Oh hey. This other stuff. It's not bad!" She ate a quarter of the portion. I respect that. She has to see how it will treat her.

If her appetite is still slower later, I may give her a Tiki Cat tuna with pumpkin meal. She thinks she's getting a tuna treat meal, and I'm giving it for the pumpkin. It's the only way I can get her to eat pumpkin. Until the probiotics catch up with the antibiotics, she could use a little pumpkin.

Now she's sleeping in the office with me while I work at the desk. On the one paw, that's very sweet. On the other, she's foiling my, "let me put food under your nose every few hours" plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.