Krista's Care

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I re-ordered her carrier because she pooped it again. I really should have it on autoship. Or maybe I start putting pee pads in there (finally!) when we go to the vet.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a piece of carpet velcro'd to the bottom of his carrier so it doesn't slip all around, it's replaceable and also gives my boy something to "hang on" to when he's inside.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've certainly bought this carrier enough times that I should have emailed the manufacturer about buying extra carpet pieces. I'd prefer it were the same surface for continuity. She goes into this carrier several times a day for fish flakes. If I close her in and it's a different surface, that defeats the continuity training. But yes, I like the idea of a removable surface. I will look for the same carpet or contact the manufacturer.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to leave a can of food with the vet. It's bothering me that just about everything they have to offer her is going to be chicken or salmon, her two no-go proteins. I should have told them to stick her with Cerenia before they feed her one of those foods. The Dr is aware of her sensitivities so hopefully she also thought of this.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Updates from this morning were chronicled in this thread.
Angry Krista At The Vet

It's been an exciting morning. She's sleeping it off, hugging the radiator and has been doing pretty well with the small portions I have been offering her including her Rawz again. We won't need to feed her 9 oz of Tiki Cat after all.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So the blood tests results came back. Usually we're supposed to do blood before anesthesia and dental procedures but pushy Krista wanted her dental yesterday. I'm proud of her for speaking up to get the timely care she needs.
:petcat:

The blood work actually looks really good!

ALT is only a sneeze away from range at 171 (high range is 158.) ALT is a sensitive booger and it was probably registering either oral inflammation or gut inflammation (or both.)

fPL, the pancreatitis measure, was slightly elevated at 4.8 with high range at 3.5. Last year when she was diagnosed with pancreatitis, her fPL was 35! My guess is that a gut angry enough to vomit bile for a couple of days is going to irritate its neighbors too. She had a B12 shot on Saturday and subq fluids yesterday. As long as she resumes normal eating, and signs are already encouraging, I think this will come back into range without any extra treatment.

Kidney, thyroid, her GGT and bilirubin levels which were elevated last time, they all look good this time around.

This confirms what I have been saying to the Dr for awhile: that the liver numbers are a reflection of angry elsewhere. Deal with that angry and the liver will calm down too.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has reluctantly allowed me to dose her a couple of times with the transdermal bupe.
:kitty:
"Hey, what are you doing with my ear?"

"All done! Go back to sleep. Or go eat. You do you today."
:sleepycat:
I'll give her bupe at 6 and 12 and change the plates. But other than that, this is a Krista's choice day.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Goofy girl with the goofy mouth is going to have a goofy smile. Her tongue hangs out of her mouth right now. I’m sure she still has inflammation. She finally came around for cuddles at midnight. She’s putting away the food. Small portions at first. Half an ounce at a time. Clean plates. We’ll likely finish a Rawz can on the first day. 200 calories on her first day post extractions! Money well spent on Monday.
:clapcat:
524B1EB2-F37B-4CDA-87CE-37DFF3ADC4DF.jpeg

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her new carrier arrived yesterday and I still hadn't unpacked the old one from the trunk of my car. I also realized while unpacking the new carrier that the bottom is a removable piece and the carpet surface zips off that piece. I have been "donating" her previous pooped on carriers to the vet office. But if the pooped on surface is the bottom one, that's clean-able. Presumably. Well, I have one good one for now and one slightly pooped on one in the trunk to experiment with. And if the poopy one doesn't clean, I can contact the manufacturer for a replacement. I think in previous instances, I've been too overloaded with everything else going on that I thought, "I just spend another grand on this cat, what's another $50 on her carrier?" and never gave it a second consideration.

She's eating second breakfast in shifts again. I'm going to try not to make too much of this. She is eating it though. I want to get her back on a schedule eating large enough meals for me to get some decent sleep at night again.

New development. I don't know if her mouth is still healing of if this is her new normal. But her tongue hangs out slightly.:crazy: That's not concerning me. It's goofy adorable and she can retract it if she wants to. But now when she shakes her head, I get a little shower like having a dog.:p

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clearly I'm making too much of her eating in shifts. She just followed me into the kitchen asking for more and then polished off another half ounce like it was two bites. I have to give her a minute or three to digest. Then I'll give her the last half ounce of the can before I head out for a mid-afternoon meeting at the remote office.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep forgetting that she's essentially stoned on buprenorphine continuously since Tues morning. I need to remember that when she gives me a weak trill or doesn't immediately come running to food or just wants to sleep in. Or has a little extra sass to her walk. Though her landings aren't all that messy anymore.

I emailed the vet and she said that I should give the bupe at least five days. So through Saturday. She asked if I was giving her an antibiotic too. I gave an update on Krista's eating and energy level and then told the vet that I'm skipping antibiotics this time. They're all too rough on Krista. They give her stomach discomfort, nausea, and soupy poops. They disorder her eating and she loses weight on them. They tear her down when I want to be building her back up. Fortunately Krista is usually in my face several times a day so I'll know if her breath is off. And we do the fish flake hunt precisely so I can measure her for lethargy. She shows little signs of letting any fish flakes get away or get old. She's just a stoned old cat who likes a good nap after meals.

Status
Not open for further replies.