Krista's Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like mostly good progress! Bonito flakes are invaluable, I know. They have powdered bonito, too, that you can shake on food for a good coating.
Such a good girl Krista! Keep up the good work! :clap: :yess::kneading::hearthrob:
Bonito flakes, like tuna itself, I suspect is a trigger food for her.

It’s a corrupt bargain to get her to take her medicine willingly. But it’s also a fantastic idea to use the least amount of offensive material possible and still get the job done.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 pm poop was fantastic!

Now I’m just hovering in the kitchen where I can see her under the chair to make sure any bonus material is properly placed in a box and not on the carpet.

B246176B-0B74-48C8-B9F8-65646C2171C8.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bonito flakes, like tuna itself, I suspect is a trigger food for her.

It’s a corrupt bargain to get her to take her medicine willingly. But it’s also a fantastic idea to use the least amount of offensive material possible and still get the job done.
Yes! I've been trying to find the tuna or bonito powder for cats, and it must have been discontinued, because I can't find any. But Petco and CatClaws.com have the flakes. I order these from the latter because they're a longtime trusted company for us, and because I like to give small businesses a boost whenever possible.

Krista looks bright-eyed and beautiful under her chair!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just to mention, Cat-man-doo has bonito flakes and retails online. Hopefully they'll be open for business again as soon as can be :)

Edit to update that they sent out another blast email this morning saying no, they're not actually closing their doors during this, just that their shipments might be a little slower.

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get the bonito flakes which literally everywhere I go has those. I grab a handful of the flakes into a baggie and make powder by rolling them around in the baggie.

Since this morning's chemo in flakes didn't blow her out by afternoon like last week's dose in tuna food, I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt and mix tonight's pred dose into flakes. Our yeasty wrestling match took much fewer tries to get her to swallow each half. We shall know by tomorrow night if she got too many flakes for her gut and butt.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another perfect poop of sufficient size and, if not pleasing, then acceptable odor. No bonus material.

As long as her butt and gut will tolerate it, I'll keep fish flakes in her dosing routines.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...speaking of bonito and flakes vs dust, I wish I could send you the dust that's at the bottom of the bags - Poppycat Will. NOT. Eat. That LOL
Back when flakes were a regular part of her exercise routine (I hid the flakes throughout her environment), there would always be about 25% of the bag left as dust. At that point, I would buy new bags, and leave several bags of fish dust behind in the cupboard.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another perfect 💩!

👍

Perhaps she’s finally getting the hang of this now that her canned food isn’t changing every week. I got my case in from Sacramento. Same batch stamp. 👍

Hopeful that makes it functionally and effectively the same food. 🤞

But I do have enough of each to conduct a transition as I start to run out of the SF batch.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another perfect 💩!

👍

Perhaps she’s finally getting the hang of this now that her canned food isn’t changing every week. I got my case in from Sacramento. Same batch stamp. 👍

Hopeful that makes it functionally and effectively the same food. 🤞

But I do have enough of each to conduct a transition as I start to run out of the SF batch.
Wonderful UPdate! So glad you got that supply in. And of course, very happy about the "end product" :yess:;) Keep up the great work, Krista! :vibes::hearthrob::kneading::hearthrob:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another perfect 💩!

Maybe she’ll start gaining weight again if she keeps this up.

Current med stack (in case I need to look this up in the future):

Pred, given once nightly as two halves wrapped in homemade raw rabbit food with a little yeast and fish flakes. The fish flake addition has been a huge hit. We don’t struggle over multiple yeast bites anymore. She eats both halves more or less on the first (or second) try now.

Chlorambucil, given twice a week on Sunday and Wednesday mornings. This is a liquid squirted onto some raw rabbit and topped with enough fish flakes to get her to eat the whole thing.

B-12 shot once a week on Saturday.

Doses of medicine are individual to the patient and condition(s), and won’t be shared here.

Supplement stack:

1 pinch (1/16 tsp) of psyllium, and
1 smidgeon (1/32 tsp) of milk thistle mixed into each 5.5 oz can of food

1 pinch of digestive enzymes into every meal (except the raw ones). This is mixed at serving time.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another perfect 💩!

Maybe she’ll start gaining weight again if she keeps this up.

Current med stack (in case I need to look this up in the future):

Pred, given once nightly as two halves wrapped in homemade raw rabbit food with a little yeast and fish flakes. The fish flake addition has been a huge hit. We don’t struggle over multiple yeast bites anymore. She eats both halves more or less on the first (or second) try now.

Chlorambucil, given twice a week on Sunday and Wednesday mornings. This is a liquid squirted onto some raw rabbit and topped with enough fish flakes to get her to eat the whole thing.

B-12 shot once a week on Saturday.

Doses of medicine are individual to the patient and condition(s), and won’t be shared here.

Supplement stack:

1 pinch (1/16 tsp) of psyllium, and
1 smidgeon (1/32 tsp) of milk thistle mixed into each 5.5 oz can of food

1 pinch of digestive enzymes into every meal (except the raw ones). This is mixed at serving time.
*YES! Breakfast (lunch, and dinner) of CHAMPIONS!* :yess: :hearthrob: :kneading: :hearthrob: ;)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista once again reminded me that the recovery is not linear. There will be bumps and setbacks. But hopefully they’ll improve upon each other until they are rare and mild when they happen.

Tonight she had a perfect poop. 💩👍

A little small but she seemed okay with that. Then she had a pee and I thought we were done.

Except she started sniffing the carpet and choosing her spot.

Scoop! Up you go. Into poop jail with you.

She squatted at the edge of a box like she didn’t want to be there and pooped the remainder of her perfect poop. Over the edge. That’s why we have pee pads beneath the boxes. She’s done worse! (That’s why we have pee pads going up the wall too.) A little lighter the early segments but still very solid.

She got out and crouched at the gate of poop jail and curled her tail around. Seemed like if she wasn’t done yet, that tail would be sticking straight back and maybe off the ground. So I let her out of poop jail thinking we got off pretty easy.

Until...

You’ve seen the picture. Tail off the ground. She’s leaving a poop kiss. Then before I could round her back up for poop jail again...

🤮🤮

Poop pukes! 🤦🏼‍♂️😿😔

I don’t know how much of tonight’s pred dissolved in her stomach before this. But it sat there long enough that she won’t be re-medicated tonight.

She seems no worse and actually maybe better for the experience now. She was looking pretty ragged before first dinner and didn’t even touch her canned portion after the pred bites and her raw portion. I moved her plate across the room so I could wet vac without being in her face about it. She appreciated that. She finished her canned portion while I was making all that noise with the wet vac.

Tomorrow she gets a B12 shot. Sunday is another chemo day.

At least her food isn’t changing. Canned anyway. I need to make another batch of raw this weekend.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista once again reminded me that the recovery is not linear. There will be bumps and setbacks. But hopefully they’ll improve upon each other until they are rare and mild when they happen.

Tonight she had a perfect poop. 💩👍

A little small but she seemed okay with that. Then she had a pee and I thought we were done.

Except she started sniffing the carpet and choosing her spot.

Scoop! Up you go. Into poop jail with you.

She squatted at the edge of a box like she didn’t want to be there and pooped the remainder of her perfect poop. Over the edge. That’s why we have pee pads beneath the boxes. She’s done worse! (That’s why we have pee pads going up the wall too.) A little lighter the early segments but still very solid.

She got out and crouched at the gate of poop jail and curled her tail around. Seemed like if she wasn’t done yet, that tail would be sticking straight back and maybe off the ground. So I let her out of poop jail thinking we got off pretty easy.

Until...

You’ve seen the picture. Tail off the ground. She’s leaving a poop kiss. Then before I could round her back up for poop jail again...

🤮🤮

Poop pukes! 🤦🏼‍♂️😿😔

I don’t know how much of tonight’s pred dissolved in her stomach before this. But it sat there long enough that she won’t be re-medicated tonight.

She seems no worse and actually maybe better for the experience now. She was looking pretty ragged before first dinner and didn’t even touch her canned portion after the pred bites and her raw portion. I moved her plate across the room so I could wet vac without being in her face about it. She appreciated that. She finished her canned portion while I was making all that noise with the wet vac.

Tomorrow she gets a B12 shot. Sunday is another chemo day.

At least her food isn’t changing. Canned anyway. I need to make another batch of raw this weekend.
These days, not much in life IS linear, don't you agree? :sigh: More good than bad there, though, it sounds like. :yess:

Status
Not open for further replies.