Krill Oil - Questions

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i talked to the vet about using krill oil for HK's arthritis, who felt that krill oil "couldn't hurt". while that's far from a ringing endorsement, we thought we'd better try something for his poor sore hips. NOTE: for those of you unfamiliar with my posts about HK, he gets severe diarrhea when he takes cosequin or dasequin, which is too bad because they really worked, but he lost weight from it, to back to square 1.

i've looked through a number of threads, and the first two recommendations i clicked on aren't available anymore.

so i'm wondering what krill oil you recommend and why, what dose would be normal for an underweight 7 pound cat, and whether krill oil will be more helpful for arthritis than, say, salmon oil, which seems a lot easier to find.

thank you!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I can only say I would NOT recomment Mercola Krill Oil for pets as it is extremely messy. I think I used to buy whatever Krill Oil they sold at Costco, and I always give all my furries an entire capsule, squeezed out over their food, even though one weighed a meer 5 lbs and one weighs almost 15 pounds. I have heard nothing but good things about Krill Oil, not just for arthritis, but just overall good health. I did stop giving it though as diets changed. One cat really liked it and another really disliked the taste. I know some folks actually pill their cats with the Krill Oil capsule since they are pretty small. If my guys develop arthritis I will definitely go back to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can only say I would NOT recomment Mercola Krill Oil for pets as it is extremely messy. I think I used to buy whatever Krill Oil they sold at Costco, and I always give all my furries an entire capsule, squeezed out over their food, even though one weighed a meer 5 lbs and one weighs almost 15 pounds. I have heard nothing but good things about Krill Oil, not just for arthritis, but just overall good health. I did stop giving it though as diets changed. One cat really liked it and another really disliked the taste. I know some folks actually pill their cats with the Krill Oil capsule since they are pretty small. If my guys develop arthritis I will definitely go back to it.
hopefully the krill oil won't cause diarrhea. i'd love for HK to feel better!

Hi basschick.

Have a read of post #14 in this thread: Bro and advanced arthritis and prognosis
thanks for the link. i read the entire thing and made notes.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hopefully the krill oil won't cause diarrhea....
Its sudden full-on addition might cause it.......sometimes starting with a small fraction of the eventually intended dose, and then gradually increasing dosage over time allows the digestive system to 'weather' this type of 'storm'.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its sudden full-on addition might cause it.......sometimes starting with a small fraction of the eventually intended dose, and then gradually increasing dosage over time allows the digestive system to 'weather' this type of 'storm'.
exactly!

i start every new medication or supplement at a fraction of the recommended dose, and i recommend that to anyone. that's how we discovered that one quarter of a capstar killed all the fleas on HK, which was helpful because a full capsstar made HK feel yucky where he didn't even notice the quarter tablet.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista seems to be getting relief from salmon oil. She has a salmon sensitivity/allergy; one of her IBD no-go proteins. But the oil doesn't seem to be any issue to her. Yes, it caused softer stools when we first started it. Nothing like the poop soups from Cosequin/GlycoFlex. Krista was getting used to the salmon oil. Her poops did firm back up, briefly. But then I discovered a new sensitivity of hers: egg yolk! The fun never ends! The salmon oil has the added benefit of making her food plate-cleaning delicious! I used to have HK-like battles with her to get her to eat enough food. Then we discovered salmon oil. I feed her Rawz rabbit. For each 5.5 oz can, I put in 1 pump of Wild Grizzly salmon oil and mix it throughout the can. She eats about 8 oz a day.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I should say I plate about 8 oz a day. The carpet eats its share.
:flail:
our hardwood floor has to have chunks cleaned off of it regularly, and when i feed him on the towels on the couch or the bed, the towels eat their share, too :D

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a mat, my male kitten is messy while my girls aren't. He manages to get food in the oddest places. :/
She's almost 15 and only has a few, mismatched teeth left. 1 canine, a few incisors, and that's probably about it. I'm just happy she manages to eat as much as she does that I don't bother her with place mats. I do feed in her two different spots (a daytime and nighttime spot) so I can clean one spot while she has food in the other.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HK was eating any and everywhere after he hit about 19. he would stop in a spot and look at us lovingly, and one of us would feed him where he stood. if we didn't feed him where he was, he wouldn't go to the plate - he'd just wait, blinking at us. we never let him down :)

as of friday afternoon, he has been unable to stand, so we feed him on his spot on the couch. it appears he hates place mats, which is proving to be pretty unfortunate, but his couch cushion is covered with a tarp, then two folded towels, so worst case scenario, we just change the towel. he ate a can and a half of food earlier, and was surrounded on a cream colored towel by chunks of food :D