Korat or Russian Blue??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grandpa2390

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Its the common practice in USA, but nothing is ironclad.   Also, its surely may happen  a cat can sneak out when in heat.  It happens the whole time with moggies, it may happen with purebreds too.  Even if breeders are much more careful and safeguarded than the average cat owner.

Also, it wouldnt suprise me if some let their studs get out, to diminish their eternal whining. Perhaps also to get some sharp training, so they will be more knowleable when a paying lady arrives....

There are also the BYB breeders whom are much less careful with what and to whom.

And last, but not least.  It does happens now and then, a cat gets lost. During transport to Show, from a mating occasion, even from a vacation journey.  You dont even need to be careless, just unlucky

I know several examples just from the rather small Scandinavian Swedish / Norwegian RB community.   

So such mishaps are probably not so rare as most thinks.
That made me laugh :D

He is fixed and chipped. I don't know if being chipped means anything. Not all of the cats were chipped. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

That made me laugh :D

He is fixed and chipped. I don't know if being chipped means anything. Not all of the cats were chipped. 
You mean you got him as older kitten / adult, without knowing his exact background, and you do wonder if he may be a purebred pet quality RB for real?

The only safe is if you by the chip can find the original owner... 

Chip is an indicium, but weak.   Every owner may chip if they care for it and wish to pay for it.  Even some rescue organizations do pay for chipping...

Although true, its not that very many whom are doing it.  So a chip may hint a purebred yes.

In Sweden and the big european Fife its mandatory to chip since at least 15 years.  So practically ALL purebred cats gets chipped.  But I understand in USA its not as stricly - and its rather common pet quality pedigreeds dont always get chipped.  I suppose they control after chip at Shows, and cats whom arent supposed to participate in Shows - why pay the extra cost?

Also, the common practice in Swedish RB circuits is, to sell them as pet and family cats - its after all the only quarantee a breeder can give, no?  BUT for full price.

And the breeder is just happy if the cat  does participate succesfully in Shows.  Or is used for breeding.

If the breeder down with the cat used for breeding, they solve it in some other way - perhaps by a contract. Or some reduction in price.

Also, we dont have the early spayings, so its in part to make a virtue out of necessity.   :)