Korat British Shorthair Chartreux Or Some Mix What Is My Cat!

What kinda cat is he?

• korat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • British shorthair

• Chartreux

• Mix

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Something else

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moonladyheaven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He’s got a grey blue silvery coat is more like plush it has tips of silver looks like plush has white markings his chest boasts out and he has a heart shaped head he has a bad eye we are not sure what happened to him we have had it looked at we adopted him at age 2 he’s now 5 he’s is very cuddle with both me And my bf he sleeps with us and he has characteristics of a korat that have have looked up but they say no white to be korat he is quite big 12-14 pound male neutered is not overweight is muscle he plays maybe he could be a mix his color and coat is very beautiful nothing like I’ve ever seen very very soft he’s not shy he gives kisses and loves being petted he does get a lil iffy on his bad eye side sometime when petting but he has a perfect personality and good traits he gets an attitude sometimes but he is very spoiled I just would like to know what you guys think we love him either way we went to the shelter and he came up and gave me a kiss on my head I didn’t know but I knew he was coming home with us and he chose us and he’s perfect for us I didn’t choose him it was other way around he came home the next day after we got out home ready for him. It was fate for us. And we adopted him and never could imagine our life without him do you think since he’s so spoiled and loved and get so much attention at all times he may not like any other cats in the house I just wonder if he might want a Freind Yano but he’s def an alpha male. His name is mattie but we call him mattcat he came with the name and was never changed

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
What a handsome kitty! I’m thinking maybe there’s some British Shorthair in him. He has a nice, round head, and wide cheeks, and what looks to be very thick fur. Without having papers or a DNA test, he would be considered a blue Domestic Shorthair, with a locket (that’s what we call that cute white spot on his chest). You could also call him a Maltese cat, which is another name for a blue cat of indeterminate breed.

British Shorthair Cats

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is a very handsome boy!! I think he is like my Big Guy, an alpha male who would not appreciate a second feline in the house.
I think some British Shorthair, some korat and those gorgeous rings around the tail, how wonderful, I'm not sure but Tabby cat?
Whichever the case, I'm so glad you found each other!!

Darrian Lynx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He looks EXACTLY like my male cat, born to a muted Calico kitty with one litter mate that looked exactly like him except no white and her previous litter had three of them that looked like him. I' ve done some research and my final guess is Chartreux because the eyes are golden, not green like a Russian Blue, but he isn't fat faced like a Beitish blue and too big to be a Korat. But yes, your cat is the doppelganger to mine, named Spot. Because of the white spot.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks EXACTLY like my male cat, born to a muted Calico kitty with one litter mate that looked exactly like him except no white and her previous litter had three of them that looked like him. I' ve done some research and my final guess is Chartreux because the eyes are golden, not green like a Russian Blue, but he isn't fat faced like a Beitish blue and too big to be a Korat. But yes, your cat is the doppelganger to mine, named Spot. Because of the white spot.
Your Spot is a very handsome cat! He doesn't look much like a Chartreux; I would describe him as a blue domestic shorthair.

The vast majority of blue cats are not related to any of the "blue breeds"... these breeds are all quite rare, while on the other hand the recessive dilute (blue) gene is very widespread in the domestic cat gene pool, particularly in the US.

Domestic shorthairs are wonderful cats! Enjoy him :)

Darrian Lynx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your Spot is a very handsome cat! He doesn't look much like a Chartreux; I would describe him as a blue domestic shorthair.

The vast majority of blue cats are not related to any of the "blue breeds"... these breeds are all quite rare, while on the other hand the recessive dilute (blue) gene is very widespread in the domestic cat gene pool, particularly in the US.

Domestic shorthairs are wonderful cats! Enjoy him :)
Domestic short hair is basically a way of saying the cat is a short haired mix breed. I understand that my cat is a mix and not full blooded as most likely does the original person who started this, with his cat. However, the very thick, plush blue gray silver tipped fur comes from one of those four breeds of cats, Chartreux, Russian Blue, British Short Hair Blue, and Korat. I realize the papered full blood members of these breeds are expensive and rare and all, but my cat, and the OPs cat, descend from one of those four breeds even if mixed with something else.

Thank you for your input.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have something in common -- I love cats too! Especially blue cats :)
I am very fond of all the blue breeds, but especially Chartreux... I've been raising Chartreux for about 30 years.
All "domestic short hair" cats are mixes and descendants of pure bred cats, some more diluted than others.
Actually, the opposite is true -- all "purebred" cats are descendants of random bred domestic shorthair and longhair cats, if you go back far enough. Cats were domesticated about 10,000 years ago. For most of human history, no "purebred" cats or even cat "breeds" existed... just domestic cats. People began to be interested in pedigree cat breeding about 150 years ago, selecting a few cats from the domestic cat population for their interesting traits, and creating distinct cat breeds through selective breeding. Selective breeding of cats has always been a relatively unpopular human hobby. Most cats in the world are simply domestic cats without specific breed ancestry.

The blue color is the dilute of black; a solid blue cat is basically a solid black cat, with the addition of two copies of the recessive allele for dilute (blue). The blue dilution was a relatively early mutation in the domestic cat, and this allele is very widespread in the domestic cat gene pool, especially in the United States. Based on published studies of allele frequencies, we can estimate that there are approximately 4 million solid blue shorthaired cats in the US. Most of these cats aren't any particular breed, and aren't mixed with any breed; they are simply blue domestic shorthairs. However, this doesn't make them any less wonderful or special. Domestic shorthairs are great cats!

I get the opportunity to see lots of pictures of blue cats each time I am exhibiting my Chartreux at a cat show... many people show me pictures of their blue cats and want to talk about whether their cats look like any specific breed. Some of these cats have green eyes, and some have yellow or gold eyes. Some have a more plush coat, while others have a more sleek coat. Some have a more slender body style, others have a more massive body style. There is tremendous variation in the domestic cat gene pool, and each one of these random-bred blue cats is a beautiful cat in its own right, with its own unique blend of traits... since I love blue cats, it truly makes me happy to see each cat's picture and talk with each lucky owner :)

Last edited:

Darrian Lynx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have something in common -- I love cats too! Especially blue cats :)
I am very fond of all the blue breeds, but especially Chartreux... I've been raising Chartreux for about 30 years.

Actually, the opposite is true -- all "purebred" cats are descendants of random bred domestic shorthair and longhair cats, if you go back far enough. Cats were domesticated about 10,000 years ago. For most of human history, no "purebred" cats or even cat "breeds" existed... just domestic cats. People began to be interested in pedigree cat breeding about 150 years ago, selecting a few cats from the domestic cat population for their interesting traits, and creating distinct cat breeds through selective breeding. Selective breeding of cats has always been a relatively unpopular human hobby. Most cats in the world are simply domestic cats without specific breed ancestry.

The blue color is the dilute of black; a solid blue cat is basically a solid black cat, with the addition of two copies of the recessive allele for dilute (blue). The blue dilution was a relatively early mutation in the domestic cat, and this allele is very widespread in the domestic cat gene pool, especially in the United States. Based on published studies of allele frequencies, we can estimate that there are approximately 4 million solid blue shorthaired cats in the US. Most of these cats aren't any particular breed, and aren't mixed with any breed; they are simply blue domestic shorthairs. However, this doesn't make them any less wonderful or special. Domestic shorthairs are great cats!

I get the opportunity to see lots of pictures of blue cats each time I am exhibiting my Chartreux at a cat show... many people show me pictures of their blue cats and want to talk about whether their cats look like any specific breed. Some of these cats have green eyes, and some have yellow or gold eyes. Some have a more plush coat, while others have a more sleek coat. Some have a more slender body style, others have a more massive body style. There is tremendous variation in the domestic cat gene pool, and each one of these random-bred blue cats is a beautiful cat in its own right, with its own unique blend of traits... since I love blue cats, it truly makes me happy to see each cat's picture and talk with each lucky owner :)
I honestly was just posting a reply to the original person who posted because his cat and mine are doppelgangers and wanted to express my unchanged opinion that our cats most likely have Chartreux in their bloodline somewhere along the way as they have traits that mostly match the traits of a Chartreux. You can probably go back and read my reply. I am quite knowledgable about domestic cats and wild cats both. I don't buy from breeders or have much interest in paying thousands for a cat with papers when I wish I could bring home every kitty I see locked in a cage at a shelter but I only have so much room. I don't want to get in trouble for being rude, so I'll just say that your opinion is noted and that it what it is. An opinion. As I mentioned earlier, mine has not changed and you haven't bestowed any new information upon me, so good day.
I do hope the original poster comes back to see that his kitty has a doppelganger because it's pretty sweet.
Long live cats!
Miss Darrian Lynx