Koda Havening Trouble.

HiddenFlame

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She came to me being loud. She was rubing her butt on the floor. I checked her anus and it looks like it's swollen or coming out. I don't know what to do. I can't afford to go to the vet with her. Anything I can do?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she eaten something strange, toxic? How is her poop?
Is she eating? Is she an outdoor/indoor cat? Is there the chance she nibbled something outside?
Have you given her some med in the hours before this happened?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HiddenFlame

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is indoor cat. She has no meds. She has Feline Idiopathic Crystitis or FUSS or FLUTD. Her poop is fine, she just been whining and licking he butt and rubbing it. I'm thinking she might have had a Flair up and I hope she doesn't need a vet visit.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
are you sure she isn't constipated and trying to push it out? You might call your vet and ask if you can give some Miralax laxative, 1/4 teaspoon, to see if she will go. When was the last time she went? You can also send your vet a picture of her rear end to see if he can tell what it is. Please keep us posted on what you find.

HiddenFlame

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm keeping an eye on her today. She didn't make a fuss or rub her butt this morning. But dosent mean she didn't. I'm hoping it was just a bad potty time

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The inflammation you describe sounds to me like either constipation or inflamed anal glands. The idea of sending a picture to the vet is excellent. If her stool is usually a bit too soft (not necessarily diarrhea, just soft) that can lead to the anal glands filling up and not being expressed naturally when she poops. I was doing a bit of research on this last night and I ran into this product: Glandex Anal Gland Support for Dogs & Cats I've no idea how well this works, but it also might be something to ask your vet about. There's a reasonable chance that whatever diet she's on for the urinary problems isn't quite high enough in fiber, but, of course, with any urinary tract problems you don't want to mess with her diet without veterinary approval.

Margret

HiddenFlame

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Humane Society told me to keep her on a wet food diet. Which I'm told is bad or her teeth. So I give her wet food and dry treats.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a general rule, all cats do better on a wet food diet, and that goes double when there are urinary tract problems, but there are all sorts of wet foods. What kind are you giving her? Also, which treats? I really, really hope they aren't Temptations - those things are addictive (and I mean that literally - it's not just like a human saying "I'm addicted to chocolate").

Also, fish in the diet can lead to crystals forming in the urine so you should probably be avoiding foods that have fish in them.

You'll probably find that the treats aren't enough to keep her teeth clean; you may want to try brushing them. I've never had much luck with that, but some people here do it every day with no problems at all.

Margret

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - a quick note aside from your current issue, I don't know if the Humane society explained their thinking, but as Margret Margret said wet food is typically better for a cats' overall health due to the fact that indoor cats don't have the opportunity to eat mice, which is their normal way of getting moisture. So we as their caregivers need to give them something else to help them obtain that moisture and the solution is to feed them canned/wet food.
I did happen to read that a cat which was fed only raw food had a vet checkup where the veterinarian couldn't believe it - there was no gingivitis, tartar or any dental troubles. With that said, for those of us who don't want to feed raw for whatever reason, whether we're feeding wet, dry or a combination thereof, we need to keep up with brushing, dental checkups and cleanings since bad teeth can cause other problems such as with the heart.
I did start to add in a couple of nuggets of a store bought frozen raw food to my Big Guy's regular diet, along with a specific periodontal treat that he gets every now and then with the (fervent!!) hope it helps his teeth. He won't allow brushing, so along with the raw and treats, since my vet said a cleaning needs to be done just about every three years, I'll be heading in with him when he's due :)
Hang in there!!

HiddenFlame

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The treats are friskeies party mix.

I just looked and her anus outside is whiteish and pink inside. She doesn't seem to be in pain or anything right now. So I hope it was just a minor flare up

HiddenFlame

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmmm. She just biffed her jump on to her cat tree... Again

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you contain her so she's not quite so active? in other words, so that her little body can better deal with and heal the issue? Is this something more, in other words, did you have a chance to call the vet and talk with them?

HiddenFlame

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have not. I have to find a good vet. I'll keep you all informed

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
oh, please do, we're admittedly a bunch of worrypots and it would be so appreciated. Thank you, and hang in there, sending you TONS of good thoughts!!