Know Better Cat Food

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone here tried the Know Better premix that you mix with either raw or cooked meat to make a balanced diet. I have used it for the cooked recipe before and I think it’s comparable to Smalls without the subscription price. My cat Mickey really liked it but Bella refused to touch it so I still had to buy canned food. I haven’t ordered any in a while but I want to try again. Do you think Bella might be more likely to try it if I mix in a can of sardines?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
You could try the sardines, or you could try a variety of different toppers. Mocha went off homemade chicken for awhile, so I tried various toppers and she finally came around. Here are some things to try.
  • FortiFlora — It’s a mediocre probiotic but it’s very appealing to cats because it has animal digest as its first ingredient, the same thing that coats dry food. Most cats love the taste of it.
  • Grated Parmesan cheese
  • Crushed crumbles of dry food — There are some higher protein/lower carb/grain free brands such as Dr. Elsey’s Clean Protein.
  • Bonito flakes — Can be found at Asian markets or sometimes in the Asian food section of a large grocery store.
  • Freeze-dried treats or freeze-dried raw food — Crumble into dust or small pieces over food. I use Stella & Chewy’s freeze dried Duck Duck Goose, Pure Bites chicken treats and Northwest Naturals liver treats, but there are lots of choices. If you use Pure Bites, it’s actually less expensive to buy the dog treats and they’re the same thing. For freeze-dried raw, Northwest Naturals may also work. Primal is another choice.
  • Pour a little water from tuna in water over food. Use no sodium added (I buy it at Trader Joe’s) as other kinds in water have veg. broth and I assume that means onions, which are toxic to cats. Also it shouldn't contain soy; check labels. I dilute the juice with more water, too. It’s more the smell than anything.
  • Baby food — Beechnut or Gerber Stage 2. You want a baby food that is a protein only although the Gerber contains cornstarch. It should have no onions or other additives. Please read labels carefully. I just plopped a bit on top of her regular food, and she gobbled it all down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just ordered some Know Better premix. Even when if only one cat eats it it’s worth it. In the past Mickey ate it and Bella didn’t but if I can get both to eat it that’s even better.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I made a grass fed beef and sardine pate using the Know Better premix and guess what? My cats don’t like it. So I threw it away and what makes me sad is that the cow and the sardines died for these cats. What a waste! In the past I did have success with plain ground poultry and pork with the Know Better premix but only Mickey ate it. Bella did not. So I am going to try another recipe. At least one cat will eat it. I am going to make a minced chicken, turkey or pork recipe…no sardines.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay…I just went to the store and bought 1 pound boneless chicken thighs and 1 pound pork. I am going to make two recipes. Wish me luck because if my cats don’t eat it I am never making this again. Some chickens and a pig died for my cats so I hope at least one cat eats the food. The sardines was probably a mistake…it’s supposed to be made with single protein and I know Mickey prefers minced meat to pate. He has eaten both pork and chicken mixed with Know Better before but it’s been at least a year.