Kneading my hair while I try to go to sleep!

mikew211

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have a (+/-) 7 month old cat named Fritz. I got him as a kitten when he was about eight weeks. He loves to knead my hair, purr loud and prick at my head with his claws when I try to go to sleep. He does this every night. I don't mind it too much, I think he means it in a kind way. Have you ever heard of anything similar? Oh, and when he is done he places his head on mine and goes to sleep.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is giving you a wondeful compliment. As babies they knead their mothers like that to stimulate the milk. Some cats carry that on to adult hood and do it for comfort. It seems he likes you enough to call you mom..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mikew211

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks you very much! Hat's what I thought but wasn't sure...you confirmed it! But, i'd rather he (Fritz) refer to me as his Dad! ha/ha Thanks again.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Hi Mike and welcome to the forums!

I once heard it's called the hairdresser gene. Apparently some cats really like to mess with people's hair

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My older male cat Casey who likes to sleep above my head on my pillow likes to eat my hair. It's almost as though he's trying to eat it like a cat eats grass. It hurts too. Kneading is the greatest compliment your cat can give you.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 4-year old cat, Squirt, does the same thing. It is a nightly routine with him when I get in bed. I have to keep his claws trimmed, because otherwise it can be painful. We have come to an understanding over the years. I let him "nest" for about 5 minutes, but then I pick him up, and he goes to sleep at the foot of the bed. He used to wake me up in the middle of the night with his kneading, but now he settles for his 5 minutes. Then I get my 1 year-old cat Joey, who digs at the covers to find a hand to pet him. There is no agreement with him at this point.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
HeHe, thats why I love my furry little children!! They are so much fun and so set in their ways. Every so often, my 22lb baby has to lay on my chest to suffocate me, then my 9 month old will pad and suckle my jammies, she does not understand that I took my shower and do not need another. Then there's my other 1 year old who thinks it's fun to come see me and then chew on my finger. My favorite is our 2 year old munchkin. He gets in bed and watches us for an hour until he thinks we are getting up to go to the bathroom, the proceeds to the door screaming to be let in. You have got to love it!!

cinda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally posted by Deb25
My 4-year old cat, Squirt, does the same thing. It is a nightly routine with him when I get in bed. I have to keep his claws trimmed, because otherwise it can be painful. We have come to an understanding over the years. I let him "nest" for about 5 minutes, but then I pick him up, and he goes to sleep at the foot of the bed. He used to wake me up in the middle of the night with his kneading, but now he settles for his 5 minutes. Then I get my 1 year-old cat Joey, who digs at the covers to find a hand to pet him. There is no agreement with him at this point. [/QUOT

As a kitten, Tigger pulled at a chunk of hair and kneeded.
Then fell asleep on the pillow. As he got older, a year old, his hair pulling increased by shaking his head as though trying to pull my hair out. It hurt and now had to shoo him away. It was so aggressive. Any answers to why he added this nasty act?

kaaren sander

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Boy am I glad othe cats do this. I thought maybe I had the only weird cat. Chelsea is a rescue and has liked doing this ever since I got her. Since there are two others who want to sleep on the pillow (sans the hairdressing) she only gets to do it a couple nights a week-thank goodness. My hair is short, fine and thin so it gets painful at times. I have actually considered buying a wig for her to groom

vjaurleila

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat is obsessed with my hair and also obsessed with grooming himself. i think he just enjoys the smell and the feeling, like how pack animals groom each other. i've tried giving him a wig, but he doesn't like it. it has a lot to do with the smell and the feel of your hair and it relates to the fur of the cat like it's your "fur" personally i love it and it's a surefire way to keep my cat with me if i want some affection

sassyging

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Otto does to me when he's all cuddled up in my arms. He kneads my hair and sometimes I have to protect my neck from his claws.. He also kneads at my golden retriever when he cuddles with him as well.. [emoji]128525[/emoji]

CATLADY714

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Persian was a rescue cat. Smelly bag of bones when I rescued him. From 4 lbs to 8.5 fluffy cool cat. He has been burrowing in my hair for 10 years each and every night. I'm allergic to cat scratch, so I have his nails trimmed often.
Having super dry hair with spay, I look like I have a huge bush on my head when I wake up every morning. He teases it nightly before curling around my head like a fur hat. And, then places his chin on my forehead.
I wouldn't have it any other way. :}

Attachments

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Years ago i had mousse with caviar and EVERY MORNING I would wake to newly bathed hair, a group effort from 3 of 4 kitties! My hairdresser swore cats were not drawn to the mousse until she saw my wet collection of hairdo shots!
Now when I sleep Mouse wraps around my head and I resemble Daniel Boone!!!! She thinks we keep each other warm, I guess.:chessirecat: