Kitty with diarrhea

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well it's been up and down with this kitty. A few days ago it looked like he was passing worm segments so I got some tapeworm dewormer and gave him a 1/2 tablet as he only weighs 3 lbs. This was on Wed. He has been having diarrhea for the last 2 days. Today was not as frequent as yesterday. He eats really well. Drinks plenty of water. Is getting stronger as he can now jump up in my chair with ease something he had difficulty doing before. He's even covering his "jobs" in the litter box including the diarrhea. He wasn't covering anything before. He seems to be doing really well. Should I be concerned? Or is the diarrhea a side effect of the dewormer?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he is on the right track. Dehydration is the biggest concern with diarrhea so I would add some unflavored Pedialyte to homemade broth or tuna water and get him to drink that. It may be that his electrolytes are unbalanced. You can also try giving him some probiotics for cats, such as Fortiflora or Benebac; my vet is a country vet and she has me use human acidophilus capsules sprinkled on food. I would try adding boiled white rice water or a teaspoon of plain canned pumpkin to his food. If he is still having diarrhea, plain boiled chicken or hamburger with broth (you can add salt, preferably pink/Himalayan salt) instead of cat food may give his gut time to heal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been giving him a probiotic for cats the last few days. He seems to be on the mend. He went in the litter box earlier when I let him in the house and he did not have any diarrhea. Stools were soft and formed and not watery. So the diarrhea must of been a side effect of the wormer. I'm going to continue the probiotic for awhile.

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope so too. He is such a little sweetheart. He's smaller than his siblings. I hope now that he will start growing.

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I thought everything was going well but.........
Rascal is still having loose stools. Not watery but like "cow pies" One day they are normal and the next loose. One day he eats everything in site. Eats wet food that I mix the probiotics in and then goes over to the dry food that is sitting out for my indoor cat. Drinks plenty of water. Then the next day he won't eat the wet food and eats very little of the dry food. On these days he sits by the floor register. On his good days he will trot behind me and jump up into my lap.
He is suppose to be an outside cat but because he has been having these issues I have been letting him in the house for a while each day. At nite, he goes out in the heated garage which is about 50-55 degrees. He sleeps with his siblings on a "perch" which is off the floor. I know when he's having a bad day cuz he won't even come down when I go out in the morning to feed everyone in the garage. On his good days he comes down with everyone else and eats with everyone else.
He does not have a fever.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.