kitty with bad diahrea

feleciac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please help! Kitty (9wks old) was adopted by me on monday. For the last 2-3 days he has had diahrea and it is to the point it is like water. I took kitty to the vet this morning, they did a fecal test and then it was just squirting out for a second after that. Vet gave me a medication (forgot what it is called ) but it is yellowish and a milky texture. I am to give .5 cc's after the initial 1 cc administered today.
Now kitty is just very tired today and I don't know if he has eaten anything today. I know he did have some water. Doc said the medicine would kill any parasites if there were any and would help with diahrea. Does this sound normal - please help - I could take him to emergency if necessary. Thanks.

suzerq98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently adopted a new kitten (6 weeks old) and his stool got a little thin also, but nothing like you described yours. Have you given him a different food?

I was using dry food moistened with water but started giving him just dry food. Mac was taking an antibiotic for an infection, so I don't know if it was the food or the medicine. After I started giving him the dry food though he has been fine.

How is your little one doing today?

smiles...

illusion

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well did the vet give you the results of the fecal exam? I am assuming the cat had some sort of parasite since the yellow medicine the vet gave your kitty sounds like Strongid.

Roundworm can cause diarrhea. If your cat has/had roundworm then you should take care to clean anywhere his poo may have gotten with detergent (Carpet cleaner, upholstery cleaner) because the eggs can survive for up to 2 weeks. Also make sure you clean the litter box at least daily, to prevent re-infection. Your cat should also get another dose in 2 weeks, and 2 weeks after that should have another fecal exam.

And remember that roundworm can infect humans too.

Also try feeding your kitten wetted down dry kitten food. I always found that canned food caused diarrhea in every cat I've ever owned.

illusion

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by suzerq98
I recently adopted a new kitten (6 weeks old) and his stool got a little thin also, but nothing like you described yours. Have you given him a different food?

I was using dry food moistened with water but started giving him just dry food. Mac was taking an antibiotic for an infection, so I don't know if it was the food or the medicine. After I started giving him the dry food though he has been fine.
My cat got really soft stools when he was on antibiotics. He also coughed up a couple of hairballs during the few weeks he was on it. My cat NEVER has hairballs. I think the antibiotic (amoxicillin) irritated his tummy and bowels.

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure your little kitty is getting plenty of fluids and is eating ok too. One of the most common problems with diarrhea is dehydration, which can be deadly in such little ones. Also, if this medicine does not clear up the diarrhea in a few days, call your vet back. Good luck!

Dawn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feleciac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
took kitty to ER last night. He received fluids but they did not do a fecal on him since he just had one on Sat afternoon. Today, his diahrrea is still awful and we just got back from the ER again. He got another fecal - they did not find anything. So we are on a med for all types of worms as well as albon for coccidia. If there is no improvement in 24-36 hours there may be something more serious going on. I hope not. anyone have any thoughts. I am devastated!! Please help

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Sounds like he's getting very good treatment - I don't know what else you can do. I hope he gets better soon. Kittens can go through rough times at the beginning. Give him plenty of love and attention.

Please keep us updated.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With kittens it is hard to tell. The kitten should never have been away from it's mother that early. Thier immune systems are much to weak at that point. There are so many causes for this in kittens that it may take them that long to find out what's causing it. Hopefully with some good vet care kitty will make it. Once they find out what's causing it they can treat it properly. Don't worry, in vet care, they can provide fluids that are being lost. I hope he's doing better today.