Kitty went insane!

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My husband was recently seriously ill. He had a 10% chance of survival, and after six days at our local hospital he was transferred to a hospital an hour away. I was told to get up there and stay there because he could pass at any time.

The cats had been fighting so I had separated them the previous night. I didn't know what to do, I didn't want them to fight while I was gone. I had a friend check on them twice a day and give them turns in the living room. Binky (ironically the former feral) warmed up to him, Carly, our other cat (found as an abandoned 4 week old kitten) continued to hide when he came.

We were gone for two weeks. My husband had been away for three weeks. Carly is a daddy's girl.

Carly also has Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome. She's not a tail biter but she has every other symptom. She has been vocalizing almost non-stop since we came home Tuesday evening, especially when either one of us are away from her view.

She seems to think something is in my closet and there's nothing there but the water heater. This is usual when she has Hyperesthesia symptoms.

In my haste to get to the hospital I just grabbed a box of 9-lives cans from Walmart. It's a food they usually get occasionally, when we have to walk to a 24 hour store because we forgot to get their normal cat food. They normally get a premium store brand, which keeps Carly's symptoms at bay. We're switching her back to that.

Binky swats at Carly when she gets too annoying and that usually gets her to knock it off.

We have tried Feliway before and it makes no difference. Catnip spray at least produces happy sounds instead of distressed calls.

We're Pagans, and I'll admit that in smudging our house to rid it of negative energy we've added catnip into our sage and it honestly helps her tremendously.

Any other suggestions? The distressed crying is really getting on our nerves

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Spirit Essences would definitely be worth a try. Bach's Flower Remedies are another option, but the Spirit Essences are pre blended which does make life a lot easier. Lavender is calming for humans and cats alike, so thats also worth a try. Composure can also be incredibly helpful, and can get results when the flower essences aren't enough on their own.

Daily interactive playtime is a great stress buster too, and should help the cats feel more secure again and able to chill.

None of these are overnight miracle cures, but they can and do help when used consistently.

[article="30274"][/article][article="30316"][/article][article="32758"][/article][article="32341"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="29710"][/article]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately Spirit Essences are well out of our price range. I think we still have a some Rescue Remedy, we might try that. We do have some dried lavender as well

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ah well. The Rescue Remedy is a good choice too...just a little less 'bespoke'. I hope you find a combination that works for you :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah we have tried playing with her. She's simply not interested.

My husband and I are both autistic. FHS reminds us of autism so much. I even pull my hair out as an autism stim. I sometimes wonder if FHS is actually kitty autism.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very interesting thought. I have family members who are autistic, so I do have some experience of the condition. I can definitely see where you're coming from. Don't give up with play...sometimes it takes a while to find the right toy. She might even enjoy things like puzzle feeder...and they don't have to be expensive [thread="278647"][/thread]