Kitty "Washroom"/ Kitty Litter "House" - Thoughts?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm wondering thoughts/opinions on the concept behind these. My cats currently use 18 gal rubbermaid tubs, but also have access to clear/sterilite/uncovered tubs. This wouldn't be the sole litterbox in the house, however it could potentially work nice for a main floor (very open main floor) litterbox while providing the cats with some privacy.

Wal Mart's Kitty litter house

Solution's Kitty washroom/cabinet

I'm trying to figure out where/how to locate a cat box on the main floor while giving the cats some privacy. I considered a room divider, but I'm afraid the cats/dog would knock it over?

Anyone use one of those? Experiences? I'm a bit concerned about only one entrance & the cornering in the cat box factor that goes along w/ a multi-cat household.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you get a room divider made out of wood, it shouldn't tip over. You can just put it in a corner so if it does tip, it'll just lean against the wall and not squish anybody.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a small spare closet? Very easy to pop the door off the hinges (usually just six allen head screws), put it on a table, and cut a cat-size opening on the corner or if you prefer in the middle of the door about shoulder level high so its easy to walk through.

Put a motion activated battery powered light in there, if its small then a baking soda odor absorber, and you should be good to go. Out of sight, out of mind, and prevents the smell from traveling through the house if somebody forgets to bury.

If not possible, then next best bet would be one of those stealth designs either like the one you had shown where it looks like furniture, or another popular one is one that looks like a plant which would likely be easier to find a place for in a corner somewhere.

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Pet-Stuff...9863634&sr=8-3

Just have to replace the fake plant part with something more attractive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only have 3 closets total - one behind the bathroom door (I'm afraid just too much of a 'trap' for the kitties), one in the entryway, and one upstairs between the two bedrooms. So no litter box space there.

lokilove

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Those are really cute kitty litters!!! They look like nice pieces of furniture. Either one would look nice if they go with your decor/layout.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use a tv cabinet similar to this one (without the doors on top), and cut holes on either side and placed our huge rubbermaid tub litter box in the bottom.
The tv shelf holds a feeding station out of our dog's reach, we plan to eventually add 1 or two more shelves with strategic holes cut in and carpet the shelves to make it a multi-purpose piece of cat furniture.

Picked it up, last day of a yard sale for free.
Still in great condition, still looks like a very nice piece of furniture.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

I think these look very nice: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...5#BVQAWidgetID
Expensive, though!
If you know someone who's good with making things out of plywood, you could design your own.
I actually have 3 very similar to this, only my lid is on a long piano hinge. I had another that was just plain wood one time. There are pros and cons to all of these.

Cons:
- if the box is made of wood and the entire inside isn't lined with a plastic/vinyl liner, the wood itself picks up the odor of the used litter and there isn't any amount of cleaning you can do to get rid of the smell. It will last maybe a year before you are disgusted enough with it to throw it out.
- if its too short in height, there isn't enough head room for them in the box and they won't use it. Also, you are limited to the height of litter pans you can use inside, as a cat may not have enough room to clear the height of the pan without having to contort their bodies to squeeze under the lid of the box.
- If a cat doesn't like closed litter boxes, they won't like these.
- Carpeted ones become scratch posts over time. You don't want to reprimand for scratching it, as they might think you are reprimanding them from the litter box in it.
- If it is solid wood, it can be difficult to move it around, and you do move it around to clean inside and under it from time to time.

Pros:
- It does double as a great bench by a short window. I throw cat beds on top of mine.
- If the lid opens easily, it is very easy to clean it out, particularly if the walls are lined in plastic (like mine are).
- You can throw a waterproof liner under the entire box to catch anything from a "high shooter".
- If carpeted on the outside, you can vacuum off the cat hair and use any carpet shampoo on it as needed.
- Most people don't recognize it for what it is (unless you are a cat person).

The 3 that I have are from a rescue person who moved across country and couldn't take them with her. I understand that there is a man who lives in either Minnesota or Iowa that builds them and sells them at his cost to rescue people. I sure wish I had his name to give to you. I also wish you lived closer to me, as I'd give you one of mine. I stopped using one of them late last year after I lost some of my cats. None were using it in that location anymore, so it's now a plant stand in my sunroom.

And btw - they would be incredibly easy to build. They are nothing but plywood sheets (4 walls and 1 top) with a circle cut out of one side. A long hinge for the top. Some plastic sheets (like craft plastic that you use to make stencils) to line the inside walls. Some carpet glued/stapled to the outside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know a very handy man who builds for a living - the problem is getting him to build ME anything!!
I've had to fight tooth & nail to get him & a truck for a day to move!

And me, let's face it, I could nail two boards together to save my soul.

I'll have to see as furniture falls into place what happens, for now I'm thinking a good ol' rubbermaid tub with the lid on it (hole cut in lid) will have to suffice for the main floor.

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Do you have a small spare closet? Very easy to pop the door off the hinges (usually just six allen head screws), put it on a table, and cut a cat-size opening on the corner or if you prefer in the middle of the door about shoulder level high so its easy to walk through.

Put a motion activated battery powered light in there, if its small then a baking soda odor absorber, and you should be good to go. Out of sight, out of mind, and prevents the smell from traveling through the house if somebody forgets to bury.

If not possible, then next best bet would be one of those stealth designs either like the one you had shown where it looks like furniture, or another popular one is one that looks like a plant which would likely be easier to find a place for in a corner somewhere.

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Pet-Stuff...9863634&sr=8-3

Just have to replace the fake plant part with something more attractive.
OMG I love your setup!!! I wish I had a spare closet or room for that!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
These are all great ideas
. I would LOVE to use a "cabinet" type cat litter box. I just don't know if any of my cats would use it. They all hate hooded/covered boxes. My litter boxes are all out in the open. I was thinking of getting one of those folding partition room dividers for one corner in my finished basement to hide the boxes out of sight. I do have a closet I could use like Ducman has.
Will have to think about that, good idea