Kitty vaccines and FIP sibling.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this subject is a bit of a hot topic lol. I am also one who doesn't want to over vaccinate either. But my boys didn't get their 1 year shot because Jetty had to go in sooner do to an injury. So I am thinking they will need their booster for their next yearly visit this year. Ceriah will be 1 years old but her brother did pass away from FIP a few months ago. I was told to not do much vaccines for her. So should I still get her 1 year booster and then do it accordingly every 4-5 years or so like the boys? Or no vaccines for her at all? They are indoors only and will have access to a catio next year. We do foster kittens sometimes though. I am not doing it every year that's for sure as I do not believe in over vaccinating. I just wondered if the boys can still get their booster set or don't bother since they will be two. And if I should do the yearly booster to Ceriah. She is healthy, just has the odd watery eyes every now and then but pretty healthy. She had the one bro who died from FIP, one brother who has asthma, and one sister who has chronic runny nose. Litter came from a farm so unfortunately they had some bad URI infections. Ceriah and her sister had a URI for over a month, mainly cause her sister kept reinfecting her. Just wondering cause the boys will be due for their yearly exam soon but Ceriah isn't due for her booster until January. So then I'd wait for that to be due and bring all 3 in for their shots and exam then. I really wish more research and understanding would be done for vaccines. Vets always want yearly shots.. but if its causing more harm then good, then why don't they recognize that?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hard question. One thing you can do, once the first round of vaccinations is done, and if the budget allows, is request a titer be done before vaccinating. That way, if the levels are high enough, you can safely wait on the vaccinations for another year, at least. The titers will tell you what the level of protection is in the blood, and whether vaccinations are necessary at that time.