Kitty Turned Aggressive!

Aryastark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 8 months old Arya is a female Bombay cat. She is a calm and friendly feline. Since she was 5 months I had trained her to go out. She usually stays out for an hour or two, twice a day. Yesterday she left home for twelve hours at a stretch. Since she came back she has been behaving very differently from her former self. She hisses at me and tries to attack me every time I go near her. Can somebody tell me what had gone wrong?

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Something scared her outside, probably. You need to give her time to rebuild trust.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she spayed? If not being in heat could cause a disappearance and odd behavior.. It sounds like someone or something scared her though, it just takes time

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aryastark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your replies. No she isn't spayed and she seems to be in heat. I can't possibly take her to get it done now that she is in heat. She warms up but again goes crazy. There are dogs in the neighbourhood. May be she got scared of them. I have confined her inside for the time even though she keeps insisting on going out. Will have to wait I suppose till she gets back to normal.

Last edited by a moderator:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs to be spayed now. When can you have it done? She should not go outside at all until she is fixed.

• Purraise
Reactions: RLG

Aryastark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will get her fixed after she is out of her heat period. Till then will keep her inside and comforted.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you go ahead and set the appointment now? Cats will cycle in and out of heat frequently. I would set for early next week.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She almost certainly mated while she was out. If you don't want kittens, you can get a spay/abort done. Mating is a very rough process for female cats and she's probably bruised, which would account for the odd behavior.

If she's still acting like that tomorrow, it would be a good idea to get her in to the vet for a checkup. She may have gotten a worse injury such as a broken bone or internal damage.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know we seem to harp on getting cats spayed, but there are just too many unwanted kittens every year and it is heartbreaking. Cats are not like dogs, they will go in and out of heat until they get pregnant. I would have her spayed as soon as she gets back to somewhat normal acting, they are VERY annoying when in heat, They can also get pregnant almost immediately after the birth of kittens too, one of my feral females had three litters, and 17 kittens, in one year! I hope you can put up with her, keep thinking how miserable she is with all those hormones acting up. Good luck!

Aryastark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll talk to my vet tomorrow and check if something is wrong. Thank you.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet about when to spay after heat too. It's important. She's a baby herself and really should not be having kittens.

Aryastark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Will do...

Aryastark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm also sitting a 4 month old male cat for my friend who is out of town. Do you think she feels jealous of him and hence the change of behaviour? They had bonded in the last four days but now she doesn't want him to be around at all.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our girl kitten went into heat the night before her spaying appointment! We were afraid the vet wouldn't spay while she was in heat but they said that cats cycle in and out of heat constantly until they're mated so they do it anyway.