Kitty tearing out her fur ...

maui cheetah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 3+ year old Siamese/Burmese stray who was missing for one month in the jungle.  I reunited her with her family but they promptly took her to the humane society which I had to pay to bail her out and bring her back here.  She was very skinny and fur mottled when she showed up.  I had a vet inspect her and she's filling out nicely although she continues to tear out her fur.  The Humane Society gave her a flea treatment and the vet suggested it was the fleas that were making her overgroom but I got another dose of Advantage Multi thinking this would help only she's worse.  It's been two days since the treatment and she won't stop over grooming.  Any suggestions?  

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tearing at the fur can also be stress. It sounds like that poor little girl has been through a lot! It could be mites, or allergies too. They do have calming aides at amazon that you could try just to see if it is stress induced. Bless you for taking her in, that other family should have told you they didn't want her anymore, what were they thinking! I hope everything works out, please post if you find a solution! All the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maui cheetah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply.  It seemed to get really bad after I had fed her some fish so it might be a fish allergy.  I got food yesterday that doesn't have any fish oil in it to see if that makes a difference.  I really don't think its stress as she is truly being bugged by something.  She loves the flea comb and I have some calming aid that seems to work when I'm grooming her.  I'll keep at it and see what develops.