kitty sneezes

jaxsnugglebuddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kit Jax has been sneezing periodically for 2 days after an outing. I gave him cloritimiton but it didnt help. any suggestions. he has no discharge and hasn't lost  his appetite but not as frisky.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
What is cloritimiton?  I tried google but didn't get any hits.

As far as periodic sneezing goes - if Jax has no other symptoms, I'd just keep an eye on him at this point.   If he develops coughing, mouth breathing, congestion or a colored discharge from his nose and/or eyes, he needs to go to the vet.  

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a typo. It's chlorpheniramine, a common antihistamine in people allergy medicine. Chlor-Trimeton is one OTC brand name. Have you taken your cat to the vet and was prescribed Chlor-Trimeton? Or did you just start dosing your cat with Chlor-Trimeton based on what you found online?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

That's a typo. It's chlorpheniramine, a common antihistamine in people allergy medicine. Chlor-Trimeton is one OTC brand name. Have you taken your cat to the vet and was prescribed Chlor-Trimeton? Or did you just start dosing your cat with Chlor-Trimeton based on what you found online?
This worried me a bit as well.  It is never a good idea to give a cat any human medicine without input from the vet.  

How is Jax doing?  I hope he gets over his sneezing soon.  

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would hold off on any medication and see if he improves.  If he stops eating, playing, or using the box normally, then get him to the vet.  Also, if he develops any discolored eye drainage or discharge when sneezing, that means a vet visit as well.