Kitty Seems A Little Too Taken Up With His Hobby..

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We live in an apartment building, and to keep my cat entertained, I started putting bird seed on the windowsill.
In 3 weeks we have like a dozen who come by to feed. So my cat is on the lookout for them all day long until after sunset. Yesterday they got spooked and I havent seen more than one bird visit us today- and my cat looks so disappointed.
His eyes have started to dry a bit cause he is constantly out the window.
I know the birds will eventually come back, it is all good food. But is this something i should continue with? My cat shows no aggression, and by evening he is tuckered out. So no more random zooming around the house.

Have any of you gotten a bird house or something similar for the cats to watch them and be entertained?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure, go ahead and feed the birds and you will have a super happy cat. I've done the same in the winter time by putting birdseed on the patio table and moving the table near a window the cats can look out. We get lots of visitors in addition to birds - chipmunks, squirrels, raccoons, and skunks. The cats love all of them.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the meantime, there are channels and youtube videos that you can put on your tv if you have anything that lets you go from your computer to your TV. Almost guarantied to entertain your cat, at least for a bit.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have a bird house, but my Ruby girl will spend hours lounging in her cat condo gazing out the window. Part of that time she is sleeping though. :zzzcat:

Even if you don't put more seeds out for the birds, your cat will probably keep up her surveillance for a while. :)

My only concern is his eyes drying out from staring out the window so much. If you think he's spending too much time bird watching, can you limit his time by either pulling the curtains/blinds, or keeping him out of that window / room.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Watching birds and looking out the window is a wonderful pass time for cats. Even if you only get one bird visit every few days, that is enough to keep him watching and waiting. So, please continue. There are some bird feeders that attach to your window with suction cups which might attract more birds.

At my house I have several bird feeders as well as a squirrel/rabbit/duck corn feeder and the biggest critter attraction, a water bowl. It keeps both Willow and I entertained year round.

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat loves her bird feeder; keep feeding the birds. But, set up something that your cat can semi-hide behind so the birds cannot see him. My cat uses part of a storage bench that she kind of crouches by. Even a cardboard box or something for 'cover'.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a bird feeder outside the living room window. My cat loves watching them. Once in awhile the squirrels try and climb up and raid it. He goes crazy when that happens.

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a bird feeder outside the living room window. My cat loves watching them. Once in awhile the squirrels try and climb up and raid it. He goes crazy when that happens.
I have watched her watch a squirrel cross on the screen of the sliding door right in front of her. If only I would open the d*** door and let her have it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In the meantime, there are channels and youtube videos that you can put on your tv if you have anything that lets you go from your computer to your TV. Almost guarantied to entertain your cat, at least for a bit.
I have done that before- but he doesnt look at the screen.

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have a bird house, but my Ruby girl will spend hours lounging in her cat condo gazing out the window. Part of that time she is sleeping though. :zzzcat:

Even if you don't put more seeds out for the birds, your cat will probably keep up her surveillance for a while. :)

My only concern is his eyes drying out from staring out the window so much. If you think he's spending too much time bird watching, can you limit his time by either pulling the curtains/blinds, or keeping him out of that window / room.

Yes thats the concern, dry eyes. He has had dry eyes ever since he has been watching them. Now he naps in between because he gets exhausted, and I keep his eyes clean.

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Watching birds and looking out the window is a wonderful pass time for cats. Even if you only get one bird visit every few days, that is enough to keep him watching and waiting. So, please continue. There are some bird feeders that attach to your window with suction cups which might attract more birds.

At my house I have several bird feeders as well as a squirrel/rabbit/duck corn feeder and the biggest critter attraction, a water bowl. It keeps both Willow and I entertained year round.
So I got the suction ones, and to my surprise, no birds for 2 weeks. I just put some seed on the window sill- and had a dozen show up within a week.

The birds fly away when they see my cat, but they still come back at some point and eat the food.

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat loves her bird feeder; keep feeding the birds. But, set up something that your cat can semi-hide behind so the birds cannot see him. My cat uses part of a storage bench that she kind of crouches by. Even a cardboard box or something for 'cover'.
He has a cat tree perch by the window where he can hide, and he does hide there sometimes. Sometimes he will simply duck his head so the birds cant see him. But when he sees a few of the, he gets all excited and climbs on the ledge and scares the birds away.

So I just ordered some window mirror tint roll that I can use to cover the windows from inside, just a portion of it. This way hopefully they birds wont get disturbed while eating, and my cat can have his fill of bird watching.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have watched her watch a squirrel cross on the screen of the sliding door right in front of her. If only I would open the d*** door and let her have it!
Those squirrels are such daredevils. He probably did it deliberately just to rub it in.

• Purraise
Reactions: LAL

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Those squirrels are such daredevils. He probably did it deliberately just to rub it in.
This morning, I watched the squirrel, NOT once, NOT twice, but THREE times cross the screen in front of Melody's face. Yes, I think the squirrel is rubbing it in!