Kitty ran away

Winnie88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I take care of a colony of feral cats. We have 12 and all have been spayed or neutered. They have all had shots. Some are friendly than others. We have a Tom cat that lives on our deck in one of the cat houses. He has never left our yard. Night before last a stray... not one of ours attacked him. He ran away. He’s been gone for two days now and I’m worried sick. We have looked and looked for him to no avail. Will he eventually come back???!!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The chances are very strong that he is nearby but very scared. That is not uncommon. Most house cats that run are going to hide and be quiet. There are ways to help find him. He is going to come out only when he feels it is the safest time. That usually means just at daylight, dusk , during the wee hours or when that stray would not be out which may be mid morning. Say around 9 or 10. If you look in the quiet of the night, use a flashlight. The light reflect brightly in their eyes even from a good distance. Most cats either go as low as possible or high. Look under everything. Especially under buildings, near anything warm or anyplace he has seen or can smell you! Up high can mean a tree but also they get on top of buildings so look on top of any shed or house top. There was a study done on lost cats that were found. House cats were all found within a neighborhood or that range. If you are near houses, check at least a dozen houses in each direction. Call and try shaking his treats, bag of food or tapping the lid of a can. They know the sound of feeding. You can also try searching at his normal feeding times. Cats are very much creatures of habit and routine. If you have a window that you can leave slightly open with a light on inside, he may return in the dark. Put food there. His litter box can also be an attractant. Put it outside or at least put some of his used litter in a box there. Not only can it draw him but it may push the intruder away. Cat are masters at hiding. It is one of their greatest survival skills. Look I’m everything! Ask neighbors too. Especially ask neighbors to ask their children if they have seen him. Kids are great at noticing animals. Older people too. If anyone near you feeds any animal outside, search there too. If any neighbor has a cat, indoors or out, look there. Kitties look for others of their kind that may be friendly. Garages and outbuildings at neighbors houses should be checked too. He will be as silent as possible so they may not know he is there. Check at local vets and shelters in case someone found him and called or turned him in. Put up flyers too. Check on Nextdoor online since that is a great resource. Post about him to any lost cat sites! People often rescue lost kitties. I do and many here do too. I post at the local post office and stores as well. Most have bulletins boards. Small papers that people use to seek things or post about garage sales are another place I put a notice about any cat found. I have lost and found cats. I have reunited cats with their families too. Try leaving out some clothing items that carry your scent. Cats have a keen sense of smell. Provide a shelter for him. A tarp or even a cardboard box with something that carries your scent or his may lead him to hide there. It can take time but he is still close! He is just scared and being very cautious. Try the flashlight and shaking food first! Get down to his level to look. Ditch culverts are another place I have found them. No matter what, don’t give up! He is there. Please do keep us updated. I am sure others will have some ideas too.